It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 pm

UMPIRES CALL 
Regional Junior Player

Post UMPIRES CALL
Umpires call is very confusing and somewhat ambiguous. I guess it is restricted to games which are being televised.

In Test cricket we have four match officials, one of whom apparently lazes around all day with his feet up and only required on the pitch for the purpose of delivering a new or replacement ball. It was suggested today by David Lloyd and Co. that this under worked official should sit in front of a monitor all day long checking for no balls; which basically I feel is a good idea. It is a big ask for the umpire at the bowlers end to juristic on no balls being sent down in excess of 90 m.p.h., and then re focus his eyes 22 yards up field to instantly judge LBW appeals. I do not want to make cricket a Micky Mouse spectacle by introducing free hits; but I do suggest that the pavilion umpires are given overall responsibility for judging no balls; which they will relay to the on field officials; with the award of 4 runs for each offence.

Team referrals should be abolished, this is too time consuming, and it is unfair on both teams that they are restricted to two failed appeals per 90 overs. The on field umpires should make the decision, and clearly convey to the off field pair on what basis the batsman has been given out. Without any requests from the on field umpires, the pavilion officials should use all the technology at their disposal and confirm the batsman's dismissal or a reversal of the decision, and display it on the score board.

After all we are dealing with cricketers careers here, and the incomes they receive, and it is important that there are no silly mistakes here because of out of date procedures. We are still seeing mistakes made, and time lost because of referrals and judgement on boundaries.

Any one agree with me ??

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: UMPIRES CALL
Referrals are here to stay and now in almost all top level sport. if you have the technology use it...you seem to contradict yourself by saying the 4th umpire should use technology to judge no balls but not use it for an edge or an lbw...seems odd John?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Junior Player

You have probably misunderstood my post, or possibly I have put it over poorly. The on field umpire makes the initial decision on all dismissals, and the 3 rd and 4 th officials have the duty of referring that decision whatever it may be, without being requested to do so; and their decision is final.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I find the drama of appeals and DSR adds greatly to the test game.

You will have 2 extremes of cricket, a slowly dying test game and increased 20/20. I am very appreciative of having played against 6 or 7 test cricketers to have an appreciation of their skill and application.

Some of the recent Ashes series have been very exciting also, but most modern fans just wants slogging and beer. The moronic cheering in today's game is more reminiscent of Old Trafford soccer rather than cricket, but i guess times change.

I also feel lucky to have watched some great test matches like the one going on that 20/20 could never replicate.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:52 pm
Regional Junior Player

But DSR has its limitations. Once two failed referrals are spent, you are phased out until a new ball is taken.
This is not fair on the team who genuinely feels an injustice has been done. This could be caused through the team having little faith in the competence of an umpire.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:35 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
You have probably misunderstood my post, or possibly I have put it over poorly. The on field umpire makes the initial decision on all dismissals, and the 3 rd and 4 th officials have the duty of referring that decision whatever it may be, without being requested to do so; and their decision is final.

No the 3rd umpire does the review John. they don't refer to anyone unless there has been a clear mistake made.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Junior Player

So if two referrals have been turned down, and the bats man is judged to have been caught behind; and the batter knows he has definitely not touched it, will the third umpire intervene or does the batsman have to walk. In my opinion this is an injustice which needs rectifying.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
So if two referrals have been turned down, and the bats man is judged to have been caught behind; and the batter knows he has definitely not touched it, will the third umpire intervene or does the batsman have to walk. In my opinion this is an injustice which needs rectifying.

Its part of the game though... your use of the referral must be appropriate, same as in tennis challenges. Why not look at the appeals procedure as part of the contest, that way if you're out when you should not be then its a result of your use of the rules. Makes it more interesting in my view. In fact id like to similar in rugby.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have a lot of sympathy with johns view.

Especially in rugby, where the drive is to remove human error in reffing, something I don't agree with, but as it's the way things are going and with advantages lasting minutes, if a 4th official does see an infringement, he should be able to call it over the ref

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Junior Player

Thanks C.J. !!! To me it seems to be the obvious way forward. We have seen some poor umpiring this season at all levels of the game; and this does trigger the players into a feeling of no confidence in the officials.

I say handover the decisions to the guys with the technology in front of them, possibly in rugby as well as cricket.

Some of the umpires standing these days are well over 50 years of age and their reflexes must be somewhat slower than the other 22 guys on the field. I have seen a few close shaves recently where an umpire has come very close to being hit on the head. Such an occurrence could easily be fatal; perhaps both umpires should stand away from the wickets, and not take part in LBW decisions at all; just giving them the responsibility of maintaining fair play.

T.M.O.'s in rugby should as C J says play a bigger part and make all the decisions. They could sound a buzzer in the refs ear to indicate an infringement and then use the play backs to establish a course of action. Most forward tries are scored with at least four or five players over the ball; and it is unrealistic for the ref to make an accurate decision.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Er, I think ive said all that's been said above...if you have the technology, use it. I don't know how what I said was different.. :scratch:

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:

UMpires already have the power to do this....doesn't have to be a referral.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 am
Profile E-mail WWW