It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 am

England's Gals are unlucky, then lucky again. 
World XV Player

Post England's Gals are unlucky, then lucky again.
A physical challenge faced the Gals last night - the wife and I watched the first few minutes and the last few minutes.

Spain missed a chance in the first minute - which was fatal as it turned out, as England ran up field from a throw-in to score their first goal.

Spain's 75% possession did them no good at all until fairly late on when an English defender inside the penalty area sliced an attempted clearance onto her arm.

The referee blew for a penalty and was asked to consult the touch judge by disbelieving English ladies.

The Spanish girls went mental - I've rarely seen women on TV so agitated with their clothes on - and tried womanfully to get the ref to stand by her original decision.

I must say that no hair pulling took place and the referee then consulted someone - THEN SHE CHANGED HER MIND.

England won 2-0 in the end.

I've seen a rugby ref change his mind this year and now I've seen a soccer referee do the same.

:shock:

Here's a link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40701230

What is going on?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 am
World XV Player

Post Re: England's Gals are unlucky, then lucky again.
When I saw the headline, I thought you were talking about the Women's Cricket.

I watched some of the final, it was absorbing stuff at a packed out Lord's. Great for the game, well played. :thumbup:

Fancy my chances against that Indian spinner though, throwing up 30mph deliveries..time to change your mind twice... ;)

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am
World XV Player

From the BBC :-

England laboured to victory over Portugal (2-1) to set up a quarter-final against France.

The Lionesses took the lead when goalkeeper Patricia Morais kicked the ball straight to Toni Duggan and she promptly lobbed in from 25 yards on her 50th appearance.

Portugal, who had already beaten Scotland, equalised when Diana Silva had a second chance to cross after Laura Bassett failed to clear, and Caroline Mendes tucked in.

England Ladies' winning goal came from Parris 2 minutes after the start of the second half and England nervously saw out the rest of the game without adding to their score.

Manager Mark Sampson made 10 changes to the side who beat Spain and they produced a poor first half - but Nikita Parris restored England's lead when she waltzed through the Portugal defence to poke home from close range.

That led to an improved second-half performance from Mark Sampson's team, but there was a scare at the end when Siobhan Chamberlain had to save Laura Luis' volley.

The Lionesses, the first England team - men's or women's - to finish a group with a perfect record since the 1982 men's World Cup, have not beaten France since 1974 and have lost to them in their past three major tournaments.

The French will not have been worried by this display - and Sampson will hope restoring some of the team who beat Scotland and Spain will lead to a more accomplished performance in Sunday's 19:45 BST kick-off.

They could yet face Spain again, after they qualified on goal difference despite losing to Scotland, who were eliminated.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 am
World XV Player

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:14 am
World XV Player

Germany v Denmark is on MORE 4 at 11 am this morning.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:04 am
World XV Player

England Ladies got smacked last night - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40772081

They were outflanked down the right, then overpowered through the middle and finally conceded an own goal in the last knockings.

They had 3 goal attempts cleared off the line by Dutch defenders but eventually succumbed to a very good Holland side.

In truth, they were hardly at the races for the first 20 minutes and the sight of a single defender trying to cover an acre of space was sad to see.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am