It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Tour de France 2017 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Tour de France 2017
TJP wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
TJP wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Uran nearly trips up on t trial

Froome might even catch Bardet .. :D

Froome's tour, Uran second?

Bardet 1 sec ahead of Landa in 3rd!!

Be interesting to see what Sky do tomorrow. They normally crawl in after the sprint with the whole team alongside the maillot jaune, but it wouldn't be impossible for Landa to sneak a second or two off Bardet and get on the podium?

By convention the GC riders don't race on the final stage it's left to the sprinters. I think that in modern times the yellow jersey has only changed once on the final stage and that was when Greg Lemond won it in a TT overtaking Laurent Fignon by, i think, 6 seconds

How many times in the last 30 years has there been only one second between a podium place?

Bit irrelevant if the GC riders don't race the last stage

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Excellent 3 weeks entertainment Well done Froome and the Sky team and also well done Yates, what a pair of twins!!!
surely it's not going to be long before a French winner of the GC
Looking forward to the Vuelta and Tour of Brittain next
Froome for the VdE???? and G for the ToB?????

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:28 am
Profile E-mail

Oh and well done?????????? to Luke Rowe for winning the lanterne rouge
At least Wales won something this tour

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Excellent 3 weeks entertainment Well done Froome and the Sky team and also well done Yates, what a pair of twins!!!
surely it's not going to be long before a French winner of the GC
Looking forward to the Vuelta and Tour of Brittain next
Froome for the VdE???? and G for the ToB?????

Hear, hear! .. I think I watched every day other than the last one!

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:09 am
World XV Player

can someone explain to me why Chris Froome isn't all over the tv stations and this whole event seems to be ignored in Britain???

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Youth Player

SimplyRed wrote:
can someone explain to me why Chris Froome isn't all over the tv stations and this whole event seems to be ignored in Britain???

Not sure. Froome is British and holds a British passport so why he isn't celebrated more I can only guess.

Some "facts" from wikipedia which may play are part :

Froome was born and raised in kenya
He's raced for Kenya
He's lived in South Africa and raced for a SA team
I believe he now lives in Monaco

As far as I'm aware he's never lived in the UK or paid any UK tax? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also he was criticised for riding away from Wiggins in 2012 when riding as his domestique and left him isolated. Froome did drop back to support him but seemed to be making his case for being the number one rider.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

pardon my ignorance but what is this domestique thingy?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

ITV.

:D

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:50 pm

SimplyRed wrote:

They are helpers they will sacrifice their race in support of their team leader, they will also collect food bags and water from either the feeding stations or they will go back to the team car to get them. Some one like Luke Rowe will do the first 100K to give the rest of the team a break just because he came last in the whole race doesn't mean he was the worst rider in the competition it just meant he emptied his tank on the first 100K of most stages

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Froome is a supreme athlete and now a legend in cycling and up there with the greats of the tour, we should be proud that he sees himself as British.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

He's a winner, of that there can be no doubt. However the single minded mentality of such a winner is irksome in certain circles.

Let's be honest, he's a pretend Brit, not born in the UK, doesn't live in the UK and doesn't pay tax in the UK.

Great TdF this year, still the most arduous (by some margin) of the annual sporting events IMHO, so wherever he comes from, hats off to him and all his fellow Grand Tour competitors.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 am
World XV Player

Whatever ...he's the champ and 3 on the trot! ...

They may have booed him but they respect the feat! ;)

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 am
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

They are helpers they will sacrifice their race in support of their team leader, they will also collect food bags and water from either the feeding stations or they will go back to the team car to get them. Some one like Luke Rowe will do the first 100K to give the rest of the team a break just because he came last in the whole race doesn't mean he was the worst rider in the competition it just meant he emptied his tank on the first 100K of most stages

cheers thank you

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW

SimplyRed wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

cheers thank you

No problem

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

SimplyRed wrote:

British people* often don't have much time for people who are single-minded winners and consistently determined to not play the media game. Brits prefer plucky losers or the charismatic yet-flawed extrovert. People don't like anyone with self belief who isn't afraid to back themselves to be the best. Brits love a 'moral victory'.

Andy Murray is similar. He gets a hard time for being 'boring' because all he cares about his winning tennis matches. He made one joke about the World Cup and people still hold it against him. So many people dislike Kevin Pietersen because he's 'arrogant' and overlook how obviously brilliant he was, and the huge role he played in some of the best England teams of all time. Lewis Hamilton is another one who is 'flash' and 'arrogant'.

Murray, KP and Hamilton are all stars in more mainstream sports so it's harder for people to ignore them. Cycling is still a bit outside of that, so unless you're a smug git with sideburns or it's the Olympics then people don't really care. Cavendish is another one who a lot of people dislike, but in reality is not just a British great, but an all-time great.

*This is of course a massive generalisation and there are exceptions to it, but it's something that I think is broadly true.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14