It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Glamorgan 2017 season 
World XV Player

Post Re: Glamorgan 2017 season
JOHNWALES wrote:
Glamorgan are a very talented team , completely programmed to the T20 format.
What must be remembered is that spectators love T20 and it is the future of cricket. .

maybe john, but there weren't many there last night...very disappointed with the support of the people of Wales last night...embarrassing actually for such a big game.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Junior Player

It was probably misleading watching the t.v. broadcast, which gave the impression the ground was nearly full to capacity, which I believe is 15,643. There did seem to be quite a few spectators in the Grand Stand which is normally closed to spectators on championship games. Had the game not been televised, I am sure it would have been a full house.

I am a traditionalist and favour Test, and then championship four day mode; and consider that if players attempt to play in all four versions of the game, standards will fall in the top grade. This has been identified recently with the number of tests ending on the fourth day, and sometimes earlier !

However, there does need to be a major overhaul of the game of cricket; and here are some suggestions.
Test Matches should remain as they are. County Championship games should revert to three days; with day four being used only to make up time lost because of weather. One Day Internationals should be reduced to 35 8 ball overs, a 20 ball reduction in the present system. A maximum of 7 overs to be bowled by any one bowler.
Domestic one day games should also be 35 8 ball overs. The T 20 at all levels should also adopt the 8 ball over system; apart from anything else that would increase the input of bowlers who at present only have a very minor part to play.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
It was probably misleading watching the t.v. broadcast, which gave the impression the ground was nearly full to capacity, which I believe is 15,643. There did seem to be quite a few spectators in the Grand Stand which is normally closed to spectators on championship games. Had the game not been televised, I am sure it would have been a full house.

If I was living closer I would have gone....should have been full!

I am a traditionalist and favour Test, and then championship four day mode; and consider that if players attempt to play in all four versions of the game, standards will fall in the top grade. This has been identified recently with the number of tests ending on the fourth day, and sometimes earlier !

However, there does need to be a major overhaul of the game of cricket; and here are some suggestions.
Test Matches should remain as they are. County Championship games should revert to three days; with day four being used only to make up time lost because of weather. One Day Internationals should be reduced to 35 8 ball overs, a 20 ball reduction in the present system. A maximum of 7 overs to be bowled by any one bowler.
Domestic one day games should also be 35 8 ball overs. The T 20 at all levels should also adopt the 8 ball over system; apart from anything else that would increase the input of bowlers who at present only have a very minor part to play.

You also need to think about grass roots cricket John...teams are folding and kids are not playing it like they used to. that's the future so all your excellent suggestions about formats above are at the moment secondary considerations for Clubs struggling to put teams out, I would suggest?

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 am
Profile E-mail WWW
International Player

Next question.

Glamorgan are obviously very good in the limited over format as can be seen from their record of wins.

However, they are mainly seen to win away from home due to seriously unreliable weather in Cardiff.

Surely, therefore, it must be in their best interest to find somewhere in Wales where the weather is a bit more reliable and not too far from centres of population? Asking a lot, I know, but even managing to complete maybe half their home games would be an improvement.

Would somewhere a bit further west be an option? :thumbright:

I'll get me coat ....

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Swansea is quite wet as well...unless they go to the Millenium with a closed roof...?!

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Junior Player

The Principality Stadium would not meet the requirements of the governing body. Boundaries would be far too short, so much so that Health and Safety would probably play a part in refusing permission.

However, in this day and age, is it feasible to construct some sort of retractable roof at a cricket ground. The disappointing crowd in Cardiff last night may have been part due to the fact four games were abandoned without a ball being bowled at the Swalec in this seasons bash; influencing people not to attend.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

John. I was at the game last night. I reckon we had about 8000 which is about 2000 down on the quarter final with Yorkshire. I knew we wouldn't get a full house but we should have had 10,000 in. Disappointing especially as the club need all the revenue they can get. They have lost a huge amount of revenue from the T20 abandonments and had no insurance cover in place.

Am going to Wales v Austria in the football on 2nd September so a bit gutted that I will miss finals day. I think they can win it. David Miller will play in finals day and that's a big boost.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
The disappointing crowd in Cardiff last night may have been part due to the fact four games were abandoned without a ball being bowled at the Swalec in this seasons bash; influencing people not to attend.

I cant accept that. This was a quarter final. The other games were pool matches.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:29 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
The disappointing crowd in Cardiff last night may have been part due to the fact four games were abandoned without a ball being bowled at the Swalec in this seasons bash; influencing people not to attend.

I cant accept that. This was a quarter final. The other games were pool matches.

Well it's reality...it will stop the 50/50 fans from attending..

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:13 pm
Regional Junior Player

Problem is Glamorgan's membership and support covers a wide area; e.g. Colwyn Bay next week. There is also the difficulty in parking, and also disrupted train services which adds to the problems. I live in West Wales, and would have loved to attend; but age is beginning to catch up with me !!

Us Welsh people are not very loyal to domestic sport; I often attend Scarlets matches where only one word sums up the support - disgusting - .

I wonder if the game would have been a sell out if staged on Saturday or Sunday evening ?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Parking is a problem John but to me it is a bit of an excuse. On Wednesday I drove from my home in the Cotswolds to Newquay and back which is 409 miles. I then drove to Cardiff and back for the cricket having found somewhere to park a mile from the ground. So overall I drove 562 miles. If I can get there then no excuses for an awful lot of people in my book.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

Why? The weather forecast was decent. It was a poor effort. The players deserved a lot better.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

As a matter of interest is there a Park & Ride facility from the Cardiff City Stadium to the SWALEC on match days ?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

Why? The weather forecast was decent. It was a poor effort. The players deserved a lot better.

I suspect people are turned off after 4 wash outs....( "last time I went it pissed down", etc), it hasn't rained here since March, so I can't say I know the feeling.. :D

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
As a matter of interest is there a Park & Ride facility from the Cardiff City Stadium to the SWALEC on match days ?

Don't think so John. If you get there early enough you can park in the public car park opposite the stadium.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next