It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:31 am

Formula One in 2017 
World XV Player

Post Re: Formula One in 2017
Today - Testing.

Summary

Vettel leads as teams test new cars for first time

Massa switches to softs and is in second - that will change.

McLaren lose several hours of testing with oil-system issue

Ricciardo's Red Bull stops with sensor problem

NOTE :-

Times already faster than first day of testing in 2016

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:18 pm
World XV Player

And, at the end of the 2nd day - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39121254

Lewis Hamilton was fastest on day one and completed a race distance on day two.

Day two times:

1 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:20.960 *

2 Lewis Hamilton (GB) Mercedes 1:20.983 **

**time set on supersoft tyres

***time set on medium tyres

Daylight.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:06 pm
World XV Player

The track is soaking today - to start with anyway.

It hasn't rained, the track has been given the water treatment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/39047921

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:05 am
World XV Player

Morning Session

Times and laps completed :-

1 Raikkonen Ferrari 1:22.305 (61 laps)

2 Grosjean Haas 1:22.739 (68)

3 Verstappen Red Bull 1:22.949 (46)

4 Vandoorne McLaren 1:23.918 (43)

5 Bottas Mercedes 1:23.920 (40)

6 Perez Force India 1:24.893 (32)

7 Hulkenberg Renault 1:24.974 (51)

8 Giovinazzi Sauber 1:25.037 (53)

No other drivers have set timed laps. Hamilton did not run this morning; Mercedes reported an electrical fault.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:17 pm
World XV Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39144660

Lewis Hamilton on F1 testing: 'The fastest I have ever been'

Quote:
Lewis Hamilton could hardly contain his enthusiasm when it came to describing the sensation of driving his Mercedes this week.

"The car is amazing," the triple world champion said. "It is definitely the fastest I have ever been in F1."

The rules this year were aimed at bringing back a sense of edge and drama some felt the sport had lost in recent years. It means wider cars, with bigger tyres, and much more grip, creating faster cornering speeds, and much greater physical demands on the drivers.

"It is literally the downforce," Hamilton said, "how late and deep you can brake, how quickly you can get on the gas, how you are able to take corners flat out pretty easily.

Quote:
"Turn Nine [a 160mph uphill right-hander], I am going out of it and I am like a kid on a rollercoaster ride because it is so much better than before.

"But it is worse to follow another car."

And there's the rub. It is possible - although by no means certain - that overtaking will be harder with these cars.

That's not a surprise - make cars faster through the corners and slower down the straight because of the drag from bigger tyres and bodywork, and it's inevitable that braking distances will be shorter. And generating more downforce potentially means there is more grip to lose when following another car, making it harder to get close to it.

Quote:
Hamilton said this "magnifies the issue we had before". Others were not so sure, though. Both Red Bull's Max Verstappen and Renault's Nico Hulkenberg said they had been pleasantly surprised how easy they had found overtaking during the test.

"Well, I have done some," 19-year-old Verstappen said, in his matter-of-fact style. "So it is OK. It works; you can overtake with the car."

RESULTS ON THE 4TH TESTING DAY AT CATALUNYA

Good stuff for the fans this year? We will see ...

Ain't advances in technology wonderful?

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:34 am
World XV Player

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/3/f1-2017-bottas-best-test-ever-mercedes.html

Quote:
Valtteri Bottas has hailed this week’s opening test in Barcelona as the best of his career after posting the outright fastest time and comfortably topping the mileage charts during his first official outing with Mercedes.

The Finn completed 324 laps of the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya during his two days in the new W08 – 57 more than Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, who clocked the second highest number. He also worked down to a 1m 19.705s on day three, which proved to be the fastest lap any driver set across all four days.

“During two days of driving I did the most amount of laps I’ve ever done, which is always very nice and very useful in this new era of F1,” Bottas told reporters. “It was a very good test overall, the best so far for me.

“[Quick lap times] do not have a special meaning because it’s only testing and there’s no reward to that really. We weren’t particularly focusing on lap times this week – the priority all week was getting the mileage in and finding any issues with the car.

“For me it was important to get the mileage, so I was happy that I got to do plenty of running and at the same time was able to go through the test programme of the team. So I think overall it was a good week.”

Quote:
"Everything is going in the right direction - I feel more and more comfortable with this new car"
Valtteri Bottas.

WARNING - 1024 PICTURE.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2017/3/f1-2017-bottas-best-test-ever-mercedes/_jcr_content/articleContent/pullquote/image.img.1024.medium.jpg/1488481923355.jpg

Quote:
Asked to describe how he’d rate his own performance behind the wheel, Bottas said he believed he’d made good progress given his relative unfamiliarity with both the team and car.

“Everything is going in the right direction,” he said. “I feel more and more part of the team, I feel more and more comfortable with this new car. I have to say it is quite different to drive in terms of car behaviour to the past.

“For sure with the regulation changes, but in general how the car feels, the handling and everything, there are some things to get used to and I’m getting better and better every day. With the set up changes, how the team works, all the tools you have in the steering wheel and how they affect the car balance on track - all these things I’m getting more comfortable with every lap.

“So far it’s been good progress but I will need to work hard next week to be ready for Melbourne.”

Great stuff, this should be sensational - again.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 am
World XV Player

Lewis has confirmed that Ferrari are looking good and seem to have the fastest car out there.

Yes, perhaps.

:D

Testing update - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/39191853

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 pm
World XV Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39362780

RULE CHANGES

Quote:
"In the past, we said any move under braking would be investigated," Whiting said, "Now, we have a simple, broad rule that says effectively if a driver moves erratically or goes unnecessarily slowly or behaves in a manner that could endanger another driver then he will be investigated."

Whiting said the idea for a "more general way of approaching things" had come about as a result of a request from the teams, who are keen to have a more laissez-faire approach to policing racing incidents.

"They wanted less investigation and only cases where it was clearly dangerous would they take action," Whiting said.

Quote:
BBC Sport has learned that at a meeting of Whiting and the race stewards on Wednesday in Melbourne, before the opening race of the new season, it was agreed that Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel would probably not have been penalised for his defence against Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo in Mexico last year.

Vettel was dropped from third to fifth place after being found guilty of moving across on Ricciardo in the braking zone while defending late in the race, in which he also swore over the radio when referring to the way the stewards were dealing with Verstappen's driving.

That incident happened a week after the specific "Verstappen rule" was introduced at the US Grand Prix following complaints from senior drivers - including Vettel - about the Dutchman's defensive driving tactics.

Quote:
Whiting added he had not yet informed the drivers of the change but that this would likely happen at their usual briefing after Friday's two practice sessions at Albert Park.

Ricciardo said: "If they leave it up to us the positive is we can sort it out on track. I like being able to race."

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:24 pm
World XV Player

Personally, I'd say any mucking about in the braking zone is very, very dangerous.

And, deliberately ramming another car - which has happened recently - deserves a minimum of a 2 race ban.

To be cynical, there are some teams who will take advantage of any loophole, even a fictitious one they've dreamed up, and the possibility of more collisions has been completely ignored on the face of it.

:(

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:33 pm
World XV Player

Hamilton has Pole for the Australian GP in Melbourne.

Qualifying top 5

1. Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes) 1:22.188

2. Sebastian Vettel (GER/Ferrari) 1:22.456

3. Valtteri Bottas (FIN/Mercedes) 1:22.481

4. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN/Ferrari) 1:23.033

5. Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull) 1:23.485

Lewis is clearly overdriving the car now as Ferrari are so much quicker than last year.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am
World XV Player

Told you.

Mercs did not win.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:20 am
World XV Player

Give yourself a cookie.

Well done Vettel :thumbright:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:28 pm
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
Give yourself a cookie.

Well done Vettel :thumbright:

Yeah anyone beating Hamilton is good by me :clap:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:45 pm
World XV Player

McLaren fail any expected resurgence and Alonso pissed off ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39403617

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 pm
World XV Player

Love that link ...

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:46 am