It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 pm

World Championship Helsinki 2005 
World XV Player

Post Re: World Championship Helsinki 2005
Cornish Connection wrote:
It has been announced that not a single member of the Great Britain team has made a tack and field final in this years world championship in Helsinki.

Ive been a keen spectator of Athletics for about 10 years now and I cannot remember such a farce. Does anyone here know of any problems that exist in how our Athletic Association cultivates our athletes?

Hang about who's this then????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/4140036.stm

400m is a track event is it not?

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
World XV Player

It has been announced that not a single member of the Great Britain team has made a tack and field final in this years world championship in Helsinki.

Ive been a keen spectator of Athletics for about 10 years now and I cannot remember such a farce. Does anyone here know of any problems that exist in how our Athletic Association cultivates our athletes?

I am the other way around.

I was keen on athletics until about 10 years ago.

In particular I loved the mile events. There would be Brits Scandinavians and NZ runners. Now, don?t bother watching it an African runner will win.

I have no idea what the cause is but I have no interest now.
This in no way detracts from the prowess of the current runners, it is just me

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It doesn't surprise me, I have seen Campbell, Malcom, and Gardiner train on a regular basis.

All I have to say is surely that is not the regime of a world class athlete.

Here was Malcolm regime prior to the Commonwealth/Europeans.

10 minutes flaffing around with a basketball - just really mucking about.
10-15 minutes stretching.
8 x 200 metres sprints with a break in between each one (about the 5 minutes).
Cool down
Basketball - again flaffing about.

He was there a total of 40 minutes - and you could cut that down alot if you minus all the breaks / messing about. He was doing this every day plus weights 3 times a week (not sure about his weight regime)

I was training with Glamorgan Uni Athletics team, which only consisted of my flatmate who runs for Wales 800 metres and this guy who ran for Ireland. We were training (I wasn't keeping up) with the Welshman who had just broken the world record for the vetrans 400 metres. I asked him about Christian's training and his response was - he has been running and winning since he was a kid, he doesn't know any different - his "training" (which he was taking the mick out of) has been a success as a junior and he has hardly altered it. He is just a natural who doesn't really know what is like to lose badly.

I asked our coach if his regime was so poor because he just fine tuning for the commonwealth/european's. He said no, thats him training hard!!!!!

Christain did shit in the champs and blamed his performance on being overtrained - my flatmate and I pissed ourselves. I trained harder than him.

Campbell and Gardiner were no better, Gardiner must have been injured when I saw him because I was thinking "is what your doing worth the effort and petrol to get to UWIC". He did next to f'all.

And don't get me started on Lewis Francis, who I have never seen but have been reliably told is doing too much enjoying and not enough training. He is wasting his talent.

Maurice Greene gave the bold prediction that Lewis-Francis (who was the fastest junior of all time) would break 9.6 at his peak. I never bought that, but now it looks like he will never see 10.1 again. What a waster.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:16 am
World XV Player

Lottery money has been used by most Athletes to buy cars, or so I heard.

You've heard right.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 am
It doesn't surprise me, I have seen Campbell, Malcom, and Gardiner train on a regular basis.

All I have to say is surely that is not the regime of a world class athlete. .........peak. I never bought that, but now it looks like he will never see 10.1 again. What a waster.

This is all sad such a waste of talent such a waste of lottery money.

Who coaches these guys? Is Dai Young involved? :D :D Please dont tell me its Hanson :D :D :D

:alien: :lol: :alien:

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:43 am
World XV Player

We are very good at talking our talent up in this country before they have even made it - Lewis-Francis ran a sub 10 second race a few years ago and F'all since! There is obviously a poor work ethic in our track and field team and since the old guard have retired this has become even more prominent.

Perhaps we should get some top coaches before worrying about paying our 'athletes'?

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 am
World XV Player

mabont wrote:

Hang about who's this then????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/4140036.stm

400m is a track event is it not?

Ok Mab we have one! But im not going to put out the bunting just yet :).

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 am
World XV Player

Also a well done to Jo Pavey for qualifying for the 5, 000 metres final.

She has improved an awful lot over the past couple of years.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:37 pm
World XV Player

Britain won its first medal - a Bronze in the 4x100m relay. :)

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:46 pm
World XV Player

Britain won its first medal - a Bronze in the 4x100m relay. :)

I didn't watch the race (work) but that really wasn't good enough. I was excepting a bronze with the USA and Jamica at full strength and operating well.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:23 pm
World XV Player

They were really lucky to get bronze,could 've easily been 5th.I was surprised at Colin Jackson's comments,really showing his claws.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:46 pm
World XV Player

Well Lewis-Francis ran out of gas after 80M!

Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:13 am
They were really lucky to get bronze,could 've easily been 5th.I was surprised at Colin Jackson's comments,really showing his claws.

He was only speaking the truth Jo. I'm pretty sure that he knows that some of these guys are not as dedicated as they should be.

A man as dedicated and as talented as Colin must be gutted to see the sad display of our athletes.

I asked earlier who the coaches were and these are the people must take the "Lions"(Woodwoad) share of the blame. Just like Dai Young should for the failure of the once great Cardiff Blues over the last few seasons.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:34 am
World XV Player

Is it me, or does Colin Jackson fancy Michael Johnson.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:01 pm
World XV Player

Jo_Blue wrote:

He was only speaking the truth Jo. I'm pretty sure that he knows that some of these guys are not as dedicated as they should be.

A man as dedicated and as talented as Colin must be gutted to see the sad display of our athletes.

I asked earlier who the coaches were and these are the people must take the "Lions"(Woodwoad) share of the blame. Just like Dai Young should for the failure of the once great Cardiff Blues over the last few seasons.

I agree Wup,he's definitely earned the right to comment ,it's just that being employed by the beeb presenters usually don't.The surprising comment was that the relay was n't of any worth,a consolation prize for not winning individually,he said this before the race was run.

as for Dai Young taking the 'Lions' share of the blame for the Cardiff Blues,I'll keep my own counsel :wink:

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:20 pm