It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Laws of game 
Schools District Player

Post Laws of game
Can any referee please tell me why, when at a ruck, the scrum half plays the ball with his foot then holds the ball and prepares to pass or kick it, why a player who is on side, ie behind the back foot, cannot legally tackle him? As a grade one referee, in the 80's I am bewildered.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Laws of game
MULER wrote:
Can any referee please tell me why, when at a ruck, the scrum half plays the ball with his foot then holds the ball and prepares to pass or kick it, why a player who is on side, ie behind the back foot, cannot legally tackle him? As a grade one referee, in the 80's I am bewildered.

most ref's in the 80's were bewildering, especially the 2 who sent me off :drunken: :drunken:

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Could have been me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MULER wrote:

Muller, i've referenced quite a few sites on this and there is grneral confusion.

This Quote mentions .picking the ball up' and off the ground as end of ruck but contradicts 'ruck over when the ball leaves it ....??

off the ground and this would be deemed to be offside by the player tackling the scrum half. If, however, the scrum half had picked up the ball and a defending player tackles the scrum half, that player does so without sanction.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-18068.html

I remember a recent euro game involving Munster when Murray scored a controversial try that took ages to confirm...against a french team reffed by Owens?? ...it involved the interpretation of the lax on when the ruck ends and the scrum half's action in that

Hope this helps but you are right ... this law is VERY loose even amongst refs

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:43 pm
Schools District Player

Thank you. It seems as even the Refs are confused. It was much easier in my day!! Also the 5 second rule is not refereed uniformly, as incidentally the 1 minute rule when a kick is being taken. As far as the ball being put in the middle of a scrum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was in the middle some scrum half's perfected the spin put into the scrum, and it was hard sometimes to spot it. Clive Shell was a master!!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Muler, When I slowed down enough to become an hooker, if I had today's ref with their idea
of a straight put in I would NEVER have lost my own strike. :thefinger:

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Re the minute for a penalty/conversion. I watched the French top 14 final. Luckily it was on Sky Mix! The minute for the kick was shown and the countdown started. Every kicker was under a minute!!

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I remember the Munster / Toulon decision. It was one of a few controversial decisions that day which caused Toulon to lose the quarter final of the Champions cup. I think the TMO/Ref took something close to 15 minutes to reach a decision.

Going back to the opening post, I think the refs seem to be cutting the scrum halves a bit of slack here and as a former scrum half I welcome it. In my opinion, it makes for clean ball coming out of the ruck, stops the spoilers and encourages attacking play.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 am
World XV Player

I'm all for scrum half leniency for ,whoever I am supporting , but they (opposition) must put the ball in straight.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
I'm all for scrum half leniency for ,whoever I am supporting , but they (opposition) must put the ball in straight.

Not according to the rules they dont.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

Not according to the rules they dont.

The emphasis seems to me to have shifted to was the ball 'hooked' ie touch the hookers foot!, be it sideway? :D

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm
Schools District Player

Scrum halves certainly do have it easy. When I was playing in the 50's the wing forwards (flankers!) were able to follow the ball round the scrum. An inside half had to be fast in those days!!!!!!!!1

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MULER wrote:
Scrum halves certainly do have it easy. When I was playing in the 50's the wing forwards (flankers!) were able to follow the ball round the scrum. An inside half had to be fast in those days!!!!!!!!1

Me too, a blindside, the 9s used to use the dive pass to avoid our clutches

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm