World XV Player

Post Re: Jarvis for Newport
Another great heart stopping signing..

Maybe 3 wins out of 21 next year?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 am
World XV Player

Your contempt is noted.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16182663.Dragons_sign_Wales_prop_Jarvis_and_Samoa_lock_close_to_Rodney_Parade_move/

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 am
World XV Player

I guess they have to start somewhere, it will be a long way back...the team needs money

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm
World XV Player

Let’s see how he gets on... should relegate fairbrother to third choice which can only be a good thing

Jackson could have Jarvis and Brown available most of the season pending injury. All being fit I think gatland would take Lee. Francis and Lewis as TH cover. So hopefully Brown can learn his trade with region

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Top14 is a big scrummaging league, players props get found out quickly there and thare are some monster 'scrummagers' there..
I've watched most of the Clermont matches and can't say that I've seen Jarvis let the side down in that department.

Although, of course, the unit strength is important in that respect.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 am
Primary Schools Player

Moriarty aside they have signed some real dump for next year. Hibbard may cut it next season but for the full ridiculous length of his contract!! Everyone else has already failed at regional rugby

Thu May 10, 2018 1:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Haruki wrote:
Moriarty aside they have signed some real dump for next year. Hibbard may cut it next season but for the full ridiculous length of his contract!! Everyone else has already failed at regional rugby

The questions are:

Are the players they have signed better than the existing?
Are these realistically the best who would sign?

If yes for both... it is a start.

Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

It's always easier to be negative. There are some who would have complained no matter who the Dragons signed: if they were foreigners, they'd moan that they weren't Welsh; if they were experienced, they'd moan they were past it; if they were young, they'd moan that they were unproven; if they were cheap, they'd moan that they weren't good enough; if they were expensive, they'd moan that the WRU were wasting money that should be spent on development.

They have (rightly) focused on Welsh qualified players and I also like that they haven't just poached players away from the other regions. For all that we might have liked to see them sign Thomas Young, Tom Francis, Josh Adams, Owen Williams, Faletau etc., the fact is none of them are out of contract anyway so they're not options. The one available major Wales squad players not at another region were North and Moriaty, and they got one of those two. I would like to hear from the negative people which specific, out-of contract Welsh qualified players they think the Dragons should have signed?

Wales Jordan Williams from England Bristol[27]
Wales Rhodri Williams from England Bristol[27]
Wales Ross Moriarty from England Gloucester[28]

Wales Rhodri Davies from England Rotherham Titans[29]
Wales Richard Hibbard from England Gloucester[30]
England Huw Taylor from England Worcester Warriors[31]
Wales Josh Lewis from England Bath[32]
Wales Ryan Bevington from England Bristol[33]
Wales Aaron Jarvis from France Clermont[34]
Wales Dafydd Howells from Wales Ospreys[35]
South Africa Tiaan Loots from Wales RGC 1404[36]
New Zealand Jacob Botica from Wales RGC 1404[37]
Wales Rhys Lawrence from England Ealing Trailfinders[38]
Samoa Brandon Nansen from France Stade Francais[39]

Huw Taylor qualifies by a grandparent, Loots by residency as he's been at RGC since 2014. Botica is possibly still technically NWQ but I believe will become eligible some time next season, so Nansen with his Samoa cap is the only foreigner in Rugby terms.

I would say the players in bold above are unquestionably better than what the Dragons had this season in those positions. The rest of the players may turn out to be better, and are certainly generally better than the players being released so at very least will add depth. The squad has been improved across the board and hopefully by turning out so many players there will be an improvment in terms of a winning mentality.

Fri May 11, 2018 11:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
It's always easier to be negative. There are some who would have complained no matter who the Dragons signed: if they were foreigners, they'd moan that they weren't Welsh; if they were experienced, they'd moan they were past it; if they were young, they'd moan that they were unproven; if they were cheap, they'd moan that they weren't good enough; if they were expensive, they'd moan that the WRU were wasting money that should be spent on development.

They have (rightly) focused on Welsh qualified players and I also like that they haven't just poached players away from the other regions. For all that we might have liked to see them sign Thomas Young, Tom Francis, Josh Adams, Owen Williams, Faletau etc., the fact is none of them are out of contract anyway so they're not options. The one available major Wales squad players not at another region were North and Moriaty, and they got one of those two. I would like to hear from the negative people which specific, out-of contract Welsh qualified players they think the Dragons should have signed?

Wales Jordan Williams from England Bristol[27]
Wales Rhodri Williams from England Bristol[27]
Wales Ross Moriarty from England Gloucester[28]

Wales Rhodri Davies from England Rotherham Titans[29]
Wales Richard Hibbard from England Gloucester[30]
England Huw Taylor from England Worcester Warriors[31]
Wales Josh Lewis from England Bath[32]
Wales Ryan Bevington from England Bristol[33]
Wales Aaron Jarvis from France Clermont[34]
Wales Dafydd Howells from Wales Ospreys[35]
South Africa Tiaan Loots from Wales RGC 1404[36]
New Zealand Jacob Botica from Wales RGC 1404[37]
Wales Rhys Lawrence from England Ealing Trailfinders[38]
Samoa Brandon Nansen from France Stade Francais[39]

Huw Taylor qualifies by a grandparent, Loots by residency as he's been at RGC since 2014. Botica is possibly still technically NWQ but I believe will become eligible some time next season, so Nansen with his Samoa cap is the only foreigner in Rugby terms.

I would say the players in bold above are unquestionably better than what the Dragons had this season in those positions. The rest of the players may turn out to be better, and are certainly generally better than the players being released so at very least will add depth. The squad has been improved across the board and hopefully by turning out so many players there will be an improvment in terms of a winning mentality.

Excellent post. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes it is a very good post ^

I would argue that the signings of Jarvis, moriaty and rhodri Williams are pretty good. Nansen has a reputation as well so see how that goes

Some are a bit of a punt like bevington and Jordan Williams who could be very good signings if they can stay fit and find form

Taylor form England has some pedigree and size... hibbard provides some experience

All in all there is now some cover in the front five and scum half which were the two of the three main areas to be addressed. Lack of a quality 10 is still a real issue

Fri May 11, 2018 1:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Big And Dull]
Excellent post. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:[/quote]

[quote="AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Yes it is a very good post

Thanks both.

I'm sure at least a couple of the likes of Howells, Jordan Williams, Loots, Lawrence, Taylor etc. will turn out to be worse or no better than some of the players released. But let's remember in many cases these are not going to be the first choice in their positions - Loots will be behind Henson, Dixon, Morgan etc.; Williams behind Amos; Taylor behind half a dozen other back rowers. Lawrence will be third choice at hooker. All that's needed is for a couple of them to be solid at this level and that's an overall improvement on the 19 players they have released.

Fri May 11, 2018 1:46 pm
Profile E-mail