It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Adam to retire 
World XV Player

Post Re: Adam to retire
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
It shall officially bring an end to an exceptionally illustrious career. Possibly Wales' best-ever prop, at least since 1980 anyway. All the same, he was seldom if ever playing in recent months anyway.

I thought Gethin Jenkins was a far better all round forward frankly

Adam Jones Thread.

Start up a Melon Thread when you have the time.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:52 am
World XV Player

Adam was a 20 stone phenomenon at a very early age.

The mighty Brian Thomas always attracted good props down to Neath and Adam was a diamond.

Wales were rock solid in the scrums for years and years when Adam was in his pomp.

Throw in his engaging personality and he was worth his weight in gold.

Have a successful coaching career, Adam, you fully deserve all the plaudits that are being given to you now and the sport needs coaches with your approach to life.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:02 am
World XV Player

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 am
World XV Player

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:33 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
It shall officially bring an end to an exceptionally illustrious career. Possibly Wales' best-ever prop, at least since 1980 anyway. All the same, he was seldom if ever playing in recent months anyway.

Wonderful player was the modern prop before many had thought of it, wasn't the finest scrummager and that is a big ? for that position.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

The mighty Brian Thomas always attracted good props down to Neath and Adam was a diamond.

Wales were rock solid in the scrums for years and years when Adam was in his pomp.

Have a successful coaching career, Adam, you fully deserve all the plaudits that are being given to you now and the sport needs coaches with your approach to life.

Nice one Bouch

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:53 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Adam, ... not a straightforward character, not wysiwyg by a long chalk?

Saw him on Celebrity Mastermind recently and I remember a full page Sunday Times article on him, ...quite different from what I imagined, ...I'll try and dig it out ...it was an interesting insight.

I have found the article click the image, and zoom .. it's a big article and, imo, reveals a diverse character ...

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Wonderful player was the modern prop before many had thought of it, wasn't the finest scrummager and that is a big ? for that position.

I would argue having Adam in the side allowed Gethin to play, Adam was so strong, that Gethin's flakiness in the scrum was seldom exposed.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

soap wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Will he make a good coach I wonder.

TV pundit I recon

I doubt it, I can barely understand him, he talks too fast. Good player though, Wales most valuable player at his best, as we had no adequate replacement for him.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Best prop of his time, regarding the "modern" thing - I agree it was rule change as opposed to other demands that really finished his international career. He was never the fittest but what he lacked in fitness her made up (and then some) behind the scrum. When the rule changed kicked in - his main strength was gone.

Real shame with how it ended though. I would have liked to have seen it end on his terms at the end of the 2015 RWC.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am
World XV Player

stujones1 wrote:
Best prop of his time, regarding the "modern" thing - I agree it was rule change as opposed to other demands that really finished his international career. He was never the fittest but what he lacked in fitness her made up (and then some) behind the scrum. When the rule changed kicked in - his main strength was gone.

Real shame with how it ended though. I would have liked to have seen it end on his terms at the end of the 2015 RWC.

With him at the scrum, chances are Wales would have beaten South Africa and maybe even Australia.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

To be fair to Gats he was starting to become a liability due to the rule change, but he did seem to be finally adjusting to it around that time.

Gats can certainly be ruthless and not have sentimentality for the RWC - Williams in 2011, and then Phillips (originally), Hook and Jones in 2015. Looks like it will be at least Roberts in 2019.

It was only thanks to Howley that Williams got his 100 caps - the others just missed (or are about too) miss out.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 pm
World XV Player

I met a Welsh fella in Crete years ago, an ex player, semi pro it turned out, I can't remember his name but we got talking because we were Welsh and rugby came up and he said he knew him at his first club where he played. He was going on about how Adam loved to scrum and that's all he liked to do, scrum, that was it! Wasn't bothered about the rest of the game, just the scrum. Lovely story. It was early Steve Hansen years.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 pm
World XV Player

A top player in his day, its always a pity when such a player finishes.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:52 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

I can testify to that^ having propped against him at youth level; Trebanos vs Abercraf - he didn't move at all in the scrums but he didn't move that much out of them either. Going to Neath, Phil Pugh scared several stone off of him and got him into shape. Funnily enough Phil came to coach at Trebanos for a few seasons after leaving Neef.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail