It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Sanjay is still good - for his club. 
World XV Player

Post Sanjay is still good - for his club.
He was tremendous yesterday - he was at his very best.

So, why didn't he do that against France?

Form restored - for now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43476188

Aviva Premiership

Saracens (18) 24
Tries: Williams, Itoje Con: Lozowski Pens: Lozowski 4

Harlequins (6) 11
Try: Horwill Pens: Catrakilis 2

Saracens beat local rivals Harlequins with something to spare and the quality play of returning internationals was way above what was produced in the 6N.

There was speculation that Sanjay and Itoje were reacting to press criticism and that may well have been the case.

Whatever, both men were outstanding.

Should we now criticise Sanjay before every International game?

I know that the Welsh parasite papers will do that automatically and some of the comments from fans oozing out from Wales on Line are clearly penned by soccer supporters and deadheads. Not all the comments, but a significant proportion, appear to be produced by fully fledge rugby haters.

Anyway, Sanjay can hold his depth - Jiffy won't have to make adverse comments any more.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Sanjay is still good - for his club.
He often underperforms for wales

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Perhaps it's the players around him?

;)

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:26 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

;)

Or maybe it is harder to get into the Saracens side, and be accepted there, as they have a hard culture based on success and strive to stay on top.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

;)

Or maybe it is harder to get into the Saracens side, and be accepted there, as they have a hard culture based on success and strive to stay on top.

Yet ironically, this season they struggled against a highly out-of-form Ospreys team both home and away, lost both home and away against a Clermont team in the bottom half of the Top 14, and had they not had the fortune to have an even more shambolic and out-of-form Northampton side in their pool, they probably wouldn't have even reached the European QFs. (No, I am not saying that Saracens are not a good team, but they are very very far from invincible, and especially given the latter's home advantage I expect Leinster to beat them handsomely at Easter).

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

;)

Yet ironically, this season they struggled against a highly out-of-form Ospreys team both home and away, lost both home and away against a Clermont team in the bottom half of the Top 14, and had they not had the fortune to have an even more shambolic and out-of-form Northampton side in their pool, they probably wouldn't have even reached the European QFs. (No, I am not saying that Saracens are not a good team, but they are very very far from invincible, and especially given the latter's home advantage I expect Leinster to beat them handsomely at Easter).

I think the ridiculous strain on player resources in the English game is finally being felt by them, and success brings more even strain. It is not financially possible to have a player pool of 38-45 all of whom are first team worthy. I think they have done a remarkable job in the circumstances.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 pm
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

;)

No team stays at the top forever and Sarries have had back to back Aviva and European championships for 2 years running, and been in contention for many years before that. They make up the largest group of English players too so suffer a huge loss of international players whilst achieving this and then get the internationals back tired at the end of it. The fact they consistently play at the level they have for so long is incredible.

Also, contrary to popular myth, a large chunk of their players are products of their own academy rather than mercenaries, with many of the players they bring in stepping up massively. I think they get a bad rep, they have a very good work ethic and attitude.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

;)

No team stays at the top forever and Sarries have had back to back Aviva and European championships for 2 years running, and been in contention for many years before that. They make up the largest group of English players too so suffer a huge loss of international players whilst achieving this and then get the internationals back tired at the end of it. The fact they consistently play at the level they have for so long is incredible.

Also, contrary to popular myth, a large chunk of their players are products of their own academy rather than mercenaries, with many of the players they bring in stepping up massively. I think they get a bad rep, they have a very good work ethic and attitude.

X2

and owners who will support the team financially despite a small ground limiting match day revenues.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:57 pm
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

;)

I am not denying their great achievements, but they are heavily in debt and there are constant allegations that they spend far beyond the official limits. Even so, my main point is that the notion they are a better side than Wales, which is what some of the above posts were implying, is just too far-fetched, not least given how twice this season they struggled against a far-from-vintage Ospreys team. Chances are they would still lose to any Tier One national team except Italy and (at a stretch) maybe Argentina and Scotland.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:19 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Schools rugby in England is in a different world to ours, byti.

Population and money, and pride in the Alma Mater from very early on, does the trick every time for the English schools.

And we still have associated English clubs, both Rugby Union and Rugby League, poaching Welsh players.

:?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 am
World XV Player

Have a look at this, it covers the whole UK - http://www.schoolsrugby.co.uk/teamleagues.aspx

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:17 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Schools rugby in England is in a different world to ours, byti.

Population and money, and pride in the Alma Mater from very early on, does the trick every time for the English schools.

And we still have associated English clubs, both Rugby Union and Rugby League, poaching Welsh players.

:?

I was talking to someone originally from Gloucester who now lives in Mumbles, and he said that one big difference between the development of English and Welsh players is that the former is done mainly through schools, the latter mainly through clubs. Whether one system is necessarily better than the other (when other factors such as population, wealth, player numbers etc. are controlled) is another matter.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good link wasn't it?

The overwhelming difference is the money available, I'd say.

Pay enough good coaches in schools in Wales and our strength in depth available to be further upskilled might increase.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:49 am