It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 pm

George North on being hung 
World XV Player

Post Re: George North on being hung
Well WalesOnline has reported that Northampton interim coach Alan Dickens has said that North was at the club the week before the game and it was agreed between Club and player that he would not play that weekend.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am
International Player

wombles wrote:
You are right we do not know the intimate details, but we should not villify the club to excuse the player. Nothing about this reads as North being a casualty. If he had a written contract stating he would not play in fallow weeks in the international period none of us would be having this conversation, and Northampton would not have commented how they have. The coments suggest a player who did not want to play, IF this is the case then Northampton have the right to be aggrieved as they are his employers and he draws money from their coffers whilst in their employ. As i noted earlier, in return Northampton (as any other club or employer across the world) will expect him to honour his contract and do his best. Not wanting to play or work whilst expecting to still be paid one week is unprofessional and unacceptable in any walk of life.

Professional sport is definitely not "any walk of life".
It is basically professional in the sense that people get paid.
Coaches can and do pick and drop players on a whim even if they rationalize their decisions to themselves.
Players can put more or less effort and commitment into playing depending on their mood or agenda.

If the English rugby businesses weren't such wannabe English football businesses this sort of thing wouldn't occur.
Northampton is a club. In the hierarchy it's wants come below that of any national side. If they adhered to that ethos perhaps they wouldn't throw such large sums of money at players and then whine when the player has more important considerations.
Anyway how many times has GN lost consciousness playing for Northampton.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Professional sport IS like any walk of life, we should not place sportsman on a pedastool and judge them any differently to any other worker. The finer details may differ, as the coach will decide who plays on match days for the first XV, but that is the end product only, and incorporates only 80minutes of a players working week. Now of course there is the arguement that it might be the most important 80 minutes in regards to success on and off the field, and i would agree. BUT that is not the be and end all of this.

Players are expected, like any other employee in any other walk of life, to do their best at all times. Now whether this is turning up to an office, attending all the meetings, hitting your targets, or turning up to the training field and putting your hand up through hard graft in the gym and on the field it makes no odds. The rub is this, that all of us that work and expect to be paid, are equally expected and contracted to do their job to the best of their ability. none of us can turn up one week and say we are not going to play ball, not meet our contractual commitments, yet expect to be paid at weeks end, life is not like that. Whether you are a professional sportsman, a Paramedic, a Office Manager, shop assistant it matters not, the principle is the same.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I suppose it all depends what it says in the contract.
And might I add, the title of this thread is very, very rude.

:D

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 pm
World XV Player

wombles wrote:
Professional sport IS like any walk of life, we should not place sportsman on a pedastool and judge them any differently to any other worker. The finer details may differ, as the coach will decide who plays on match days for the first XV, but that is the end product only, and incorporates only 80minutes of a players working week. Now of course there is the arguement that it might be the most important 80 minutes in regards to success on and off the field, and i would agree. BUT that is not the be and end all of this.

Players are expected, like any other employee in any other walk of life, to do their best at all times. Now whether this is turning up to an office, attending all the meetings, hitting your targets, or turning up to the training field and putting your hand up through hard graft in the gym and o8n the field it makes no odds. The rub is this, that all of us that work and expect to be paid, are equally expected and contracted to do their job to the best of their ability. none of us can turn up one week and say we are not going to play ball, not meet our contractual commitments, yet expect to be paid at weeks end, life is not like that. Whether you are a professional sportsman, a Paramedic, a Office Manager, shop assistant it matters not, the principle is the same.

I disagree that the pro sport can be fairly compared to most jobs, indeed most jobs and the dynamics between employer and employee vary tremendously themselves. Jobs are similar up to the point that there is a contract/agreement and someone to do a role.

A pro sports player has a greater risk of being injured directly from their job than most employees. The mental and physical wellbeing of a player have a significant impact on their performance. Also their skills are far more scarce than most employees. Managing them is about balancing performance and player wellbeing with a view to minimising physical and mental impact. Indeed, this indeed should be the role of any manager. The difference here however is that in most instances, we are replaceable in our work,we can't tell the boss to 'do one'. I don't say North did this but if his manager is pissing him off, why wouldn't you?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

wombles wrote:

Players are expected, like any other employee in any other walk of life, to do their best at all times. Now whether this is turning up to an office, attending all the meetings, hitting your targets, or turning up to the training field and putting your hand up through hard graft in the gym and on the field it makes no odds. The rub is this, that all of us that work and expect to be paid, are equally expected and contracted to do their job to the best of their ability. none of us can turn up one week and say we are not going to play ball, not meet our contractual commitments, yet expect to be paid at weeks end, life is not like that. Whether you are a professional sportsman, a Paramedic, a Office Manager, shop assistant it matters not, the principle is the same.

What a load of tosh. Entertainers, and that's what professional rugby players are, are not like an employee in "any other walk of life". I don't know what job you do but I suspect it is exactly the same as mine in the sense that no one pays to watch either of us work.
Same goes for paramedics, office managers and shop assistants. And none of those jobs involves employees of rival businesses trying to prevent them doing those jobs. A Tescos shelf stacker doesn't have worry about getting injured against a Happy Shopper shelf stacker a week before Tescos play Sainsburys.

Rugby clubs (rugby businesses) should know their place and it's below all national teams.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm
Profile E-mail