Post George North on being hung
What are your thoughts ?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: George North on being hung
youvbeensalmoed wrote:
What are your thoughts ?

Sounds like a *dinky doo* up in communication GN thought he had an understanding with the club and Gafney knew nothing about it. If that is the case then Gafney wants to have his nuts cut off for saying things to the press without understanding all the facts

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Absolutely staggering behaviour. Those are the words of a coach completely out of his depth and under pressure on a rapidly sinking ship.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

If I was North, I'd hand in a resignation letter on grounds of being publicly humiliated and mistreated by his employer.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

North appears to have had a verbal agreement to be rested in between six nations games with the previous coach Jim Mallinder. He did not have such an agreement with Gaffney and should have discussed it with him. Besides he played in the previous rest weekend for the Saints when it suited him.

Poor from North.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
North appears to have had a verbal agreement to be rested in between six nations games with the previous coach Jim Mallinder. He did not have such an agreement with Gaffney and should have discussed it with him. Besides he played in the previous rest weekend for the Saints when it suited him.

Poor from North.

North has a contract with Northampton RFC and not with Coaches.

As I undertsand it he had written into his contract that he would be released for International games and availability for the Welsh squad even the extra exempt Article 9 W Rugby obligation.

If not then saints complaint may be valid. If there is a contract then it stands. Simple as.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:29 pm
World XV Player

Hasn't this been discussed at length on other threads?

I think you're right, TP.

His contract says he's available to Wales in all Wales games.

His sinking ship of a club was good once and they were able to win games without George.

When George played for Wales in a 4th Autumn international game, the Clubs controlling body fined Northampton £60 K.

The new caretakers are clearly out of their depth in a saucer of milk.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:01 am
Regional Player

I have not seen the threads, so i will post my thoughts on here.

George North is contracted to Northampton, who pay his wages. He is also contracted to be released to the national team for approved international windows, this includes the six nations. During such time players are released back to their clubs. In fallow weeks it is perfectly reasonable for those players to play for their club, and unless injured or fatigued they should be the first to put that hands up and want to play, not only for the love of playing, but it is right and professional to do so.

Whether North had a gentlemans agreement with Mallinder matters not, Mallender is not his DOR anymore, and verbal contracts are only worth the paper they are written upon. Any professional should honour their contract and do the job they are paid to do. I cannot turn up to work and say sorry i will not work today as i do not want to, it is unprofessional and unrealistic.

Whether we agree or disagree with Northamptons DOR's comments, these reflect the choices and actions of the player, who if he wanted to be free of criticsm should of done the job, readily amd keenly offered himself up for playing and honoured the commitments he signed up to with Northampton, as I am sure he will be readily collecting his payslip without complaint come pay day.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

^^^**ballhooks**^^^ :thefinger:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 pm
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

George North is contracted to Northampton, who pay his wages. He is also contracted to be released to the national team for approved international windows, this includes the six nations. During such time players are released back to their clubs. In fallow weeks it is perfectly reasonable for those players to play for their club, and unless injured or fatigued they should be the first to put that hands up and want to play, not only for the love of playing, but it is right and professional to do so.

Whether North had a gentlemans agreement with Mallinder matters not, Mallender is not his DOR anymore, and verbal contracts are only worth the paper they are written upon. Any professional should honour their contract and do the job they are paid to do. I cannot turn up to work and say sorry i will not work today as i do not want to, it is unprofessional and unrealistic.

Whether we agree or disagree with Northamptons DOR's comments, these reflect the choices and actions of the player, who if he wanted to be free of criticsm should of done the job, readily amd keenly offered himself up for playing and honoured the commitments he signed up to with Northampton, as I am sure he will be readily collecting his payslip without complaint come pay day.

I tend to agree, but since North has apparently signed to play in Wales, I find it odd that the coach expect him to play when he, (Gaffney), admitted he had not even talked to the player?

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:11 pm
thread ruining clique

I suppose it all depends what it says in the contract.
And might I add, the title of this thread is very, very rude.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

Fair point but if he signed there on the condition that he wouldn't play during international periods, then it seems he is doing what he agreed to do. He isn't going back on his word, he didn't agree to do it in the first place. The professional attitude works both ways.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

Poor from North.

North has a contract with Northampton RFC and not with Coaches.

As I undertsand it he had written into his contract that he would be released for International games and availability for the Welsh squad even the extra exempt Article 9 W Rugby obligation.

If not then saints complaint may be valid. If there is a contract then it stands. Simple as.

You are missing the point. The key part here is what happens during the weeks when there are no six nations matches. We all know he has full release for internationals.
It is obviously not in his contract that he is released from club duties when there are no six nations games as he had a verbal agreement with Mallinder instead That verbal agreement was clearly not in place with Gaffney.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wombles wrote:

I think that when a players integrity is being called to question by his club then it can only lead to this. We have Northampton saying one thing, the player's 'representatives' saying another and Warren Gatland making a public statement to the media that he'd be welcomed back from his contract early doors with Northampton and that the WRU would look after him if he chose to do that. That's big big stuff. None of us know what the true situation is but for sure George North is upset, to say the least. Northampton want their best players on the pitch, they are not where they want to be this year as perennial top 6 and have sacked their coach Jim Mallender mid season. New coach Allan Gafney comes in and has different ideas. I don't think this about George North, I think this about Northampton and George is a casualty of this.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 am
Regional Player

You are right we do not know the intimate details, but we should not villify the club to excuse the player. Nothing about this reads as North being a casualty. If he had a written contract stating he would not play in fallow weeks in the international period none of us would be having this conversation, and Northampton would not have commented how they have. The coments suggest a player who did not want to play, IF this is the case then Northampton have the right to be aggrieved as they are his employers and he draws money from their coffers whilst in their employ. As i noted earlier, in return Northampton (as any other club or employer across the world) will expect him to honour his contract and do his best. Not wanting to play or work whilst expecting to still be paid one week is unprofessional and unacceptable in any walk of life.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 am
Profile E-mail