It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 pm

WA VS SA in DC RFK 
thread ruining clique

Post Re: WA VS SA in DC RFK
JOHNWALES wrote:
Kick in the teeth for Welsh rugby supporters; if they must play away from the P.S. why not do so in Colwyn Bay.

People still moan, even when they play in Colwyn Bay.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:19 pm
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
The Wales 2nd string only put 50 point past Uruguay at the World Cup and the US are a fair bit better than Uruguay. They are probably just a shade behind Georgia, who the Wales 2nd string were only able to beat thanks to Leon Brown getting a headache at a critical moment. So confidently asserting that we would put 70 points past the US is just nonsense.

I don't see the point of this match. It's not going to be very interesting to casual fans - neither us nor the Springboks are the global brand that NZ are, and the Americans aren't obsessed with the Welsh like they are with the Irish. I can't see the crowd being very good and it will all be established rugby fans, not curious neutrals.

We should be playing the US team. Or, alternatively, given we're going down to Argentina, we shoudl play Uruguay, as they're in our WC group. Either of those would do a lot more to grow World rugby than a meaningless fixture against a team we play every year

I mostly agree, although I have to point out that Uruguay are now above the US in the World Rankings. ;) https://www.worldrugby.org/rankings/mru

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Uruguay's record against the US is w2 l14 d1 so I don't think the rankings are a fair representation there - though they aren't too far apart. The US won the last game 29-23.

The US also get lots of matches against superior opposition, unlike Uruguay, which tends to depress their rankings (the same happens with Argentina and Italy who mostly play higher-ranked opponents; conversely the rankings of e.g. Georgia are somewhat inflated because they mostly play weaker teams).

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
The Wales 2nd string only put 50 point past Uruguay at the World Cup and the US are a fair bit better than Uruguay. They are probably just a shade behind Georgia, who the Wales 2nd string were only able to beat thanks to Leon Brown getting a headache at a critical moment. So confidently asserting that we would put 70 points past the US is just nonsense.

I don't see the point of this match. It's not going to be very interesting to casual fans - neither us nor the Springboks are the global brand that NZ are, and the Americans aren't obsessed with the Welsh like they are with the Irish. I can't see the crowd being very good and it will all be established rugby fans, not curious neutrals.

We should be playing the US team. Or, alternatively, given we're going down to Argentina, we shoudl play Uruguay, as they're in our WC group. Either of those would do a lot more to grow World rugby than a meaningless fixture against a team we play every year

Well I live here and 2 of the US squad play for my local team, so I would venture I know a bit more about the standard of US rugby than you do.

In 2005, Wales had their top 10 players on the Lions tour in New Zealand, and we beat the US 76-3 in Hartford without breaking sweat. I was there. ;)

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:55 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Well I live here and 2 of the US squad play for my local team, so I would venture I know a bit more about the standard of US rugby than you do.

In 2005, Wales had their top 10 players on the Lions tour in New Zealand, and we beat the US 76-3 in Hartford without breaking sweat. I was there. ;)

But they are the reigning world champions of XVs Olympics rugby. :D

In seriousness though, would you say the standard of US rugby is still pretty low then?

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

2005 was 13 years ago, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

In the 2015 RWC they lost 25-16 to Samoa, 39-16 against Scotland, 28-18 to Japan and 64-0 to South Africa - the latter match with a weakened team due to the four-day turnaround for the Japan game, which they rightly targeted. They've also beaten Canada a bunch of times and lost very narrowly to Georgia and Italy.

I'm not saying they are world beaters - clearly they are somewhere behind the likes of Japan, Georgia, Samoa etc. - but whilst they are all teams we would expect to beat, we've hardly dominated them in our recent matches. If our second string played the US we certainly wouldn't lose but I'd be surprised if we put 50 points past them. But then we won't get to see which of us is right becuase of the the attitude that we are just too important to play the smaller sides.

Quote:
would you say the standard of US rugby is still pretty low then?

It is certainly better than it was 13 years ago.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
2005 was 13 years ago, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

In the 2015 RWC they lost 25-16 to Samoa, 39-16 against Scotland, 28-18 to Japan and 64-0 to South Africa - the latter match with a weakened team due to the four-day turnaround for the Japan game, which they rightly targeted. They've also beaten Canada a bunch of times and lost very narrowly to Georgia and Italy.

I'm not saying they are world beaters - clearly they are somewhere behind the likes of Japan, Georgia, Samoa etc. - but whilst they are all teams we would expect to beat, we've hardly dominated them in our recent matches. If our second string played the US we certainly wouldn't lose but I'd be surprised if we put 50 points past them. But then we won't get to see which of us is right becuase of the the attitude that we are just too important to play the smaller sides.

Quote:
would you say the standard of US rugby is still pretty low then?

It is certainly better than it was 13 years ago.

US Rugby has gone backwards since 2003, except at grass roots level, when participation continues to flourish.
For Pro rugby you need money, and there is none

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:00 pm
World XV Player

It's obviously happening so that I can have a jolly boys to DC.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:17 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:

Georgetown is really nice but it will be very muggy a that time of year. DC is built on a swamp incidentally ;)

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:

Georgetown is really nice but it will be very muggy a that time of year. DC is built on a swamp incidentally ;)

How appropriate. :D

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 pm
Profile E-mail