Post Re: Old Age and Rugby
I shook the hand of J.P.R Williams today. It was still like a rock :shock:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:

Does he still work Thursdays in the STD clinic?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
soap wrote:

Yeh, he remembered you. :thefinger:

You think I would shake the hand of a poxdoctor? Only with a glove on

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
soap wrote:

Yeh, he remembered you. :thefinger:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Knees elbows and thumbs for me, played my last game at 34, 50 now, still think I could play now but the reality is quite the opposite.

Still hit the gym 3-4 times a week, mix of cardio and resistance - no longer do free weights, machines are safer and you can be more disciplined in movement.

Got back into cycling about 10 years ago, love it, regularly do 50-60km rides a few times a week during the frost / snow free months, cycling gives me a lot of elbow gip though :-(

Resting pulse, 55-57 and healthy BP, and I'm 140kg. :naka:

Nice to see you again Dude!

My resting pulse is 76, has been since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I last turned out for this site at Abbey RFC when I was just a lad of 55 and it took 6 months for my ribs to unbuckle. These days though, fixing a tyre on my racing bike can cause me grief if I suddenly lean over without warning my back first ... never known pain like it. I think you have to keep the 'whole' body in balance .. muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints of all limbs. The risk one runs is having an unforgotten unworked part that suddenly fails 'cos of concentrating on thighs or arms or abs ... the whole body has to be in sync and that takes longer than just getting aerobically fit. Once done Rugby shouldn't be a problem as long as you can pass the ball and slide through tackles. :D

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

you don't have to go this far though ... some of the landings are nut crackesr!

https://www.facebook.com/demotivateur/v ... 401624457/

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
Knees elbows and thumbs for me, played my last game at 34, 50 now, still think I could play now but the reality is quite the opposite.

Still hit the gym 3-4 times a week, mix of cardio and resistance - no longer do free weights, machines are safer and you can be more disciplined in movement.

Got back into cycling about 10 years ago, love it, regularly do 50-60km rides a few times a week during the frost / snow free months, cycling gives me a lot of elbow gip though :-(

Resting pulse, 55-57 and healthy BP, and I'm 140kg. :naka:

Nice to see you again Dude!

My resting pulse is 76, has been since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I last turned out for this site at Abbey RFC when I was just a lad of 55 and it took 6 months for my ribs to unbuckle. These days though, fixing a tyre on my racing bike can cause me grief if I suddenly lean over without warning my back first ... never known pain like it. I think you have to keep the 'whole' body in balance .. muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints of all limbs. The risk one runs is having an unforgotten unworked part that suddenly fails 'cos of concentrating on thighs or arms or abs ... the whole body has to be in sync and that takes longer than just getting aerobically fit. Once done Rugby shouldn't be a problem as long as you can pass the ball and slide through tackles. :D

Your post never cease to amaze me :D you build up a picture of someone and then you surprise me. I cant help thinking of you driving around Llanrumney in your tank, usually on your way to the off-licence :D ;)

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I actually retired twice once when I was 32 when I was completely rugbyed out,apart from 1 full season missed through injury I never missed any game from 19 through to 32 years of age usually playing 35-40 games a season. After that all the pits shut and there was no work so I ended up working in Bucks and not knowing anyone joined the local team, Beaconsfield and played there till I was 37 which was not particularly taxing but it had a great social side and I thoroughly enjoyed it but was always looked on as a bit of an oddity being Welsh and NOT a outside half or full back. I swear almost all the teams I played against had either a Welsh 10 or a Welsh 15

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I knew a bloke called Dai Bargoed don't know his proper surname who played in the front row for Deri RFC and was still playing at 56 when he had to stop as there were questions about his eligibility for insurance

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
I knew a bloke called Dai Bargoed don't know his proper surname who played in the front row for Deri RFC and was still playing at 56 when he had to stop as there were questions about his eligibility for insurance

He was even older than that
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... ai-2168501

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:23 pm
Profile E-mail