It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Old Age and Rugby 
Site Admin

Post Re: Old Age and Rugby
From experience, cod liver oil helps with the discomfort caused by arthritis and joint stiffness, take a spoonful of the liquid cod liver oil once a day (not the capsules ) it takes around six weeks before you feel the effect after which if you continue taking it, the improvements make life that much more bearable.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
From experience, cod liver oil helps with the discomfort caused by arthritis and joint stiffness, take a spoonful of the liquid cod liver oil once a day (not the capsules ) it takes around six weeks before you feel the effect after which if you continue taking it, the improvements make life that much more bearable.

I know some people who have benefited from that. I have tried it for several months without a gain unfortunately. Same with turmeric and glucosamine.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yard of Ale wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

I know some people who have benefited from that. I have tried it for several months without a gain unfortunately. Same with turmeric and glucosamine.

The only thing I have found that helps is 'tiger balm'. And the £1 shop stuff is as good as the expensive stuff. The best one is found in markets in spain and called CA N'Aloe Gel Relajante. Its green aloe vera gel with tiger balm in. Comes in a 'pump pack' so you dont have to dig it out with your nail.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Yes, Tiger Balm is magic, cure all stuff. Don't know what they put in it, but it really does work.
And aloe vera are the easiest plants in the world to grow. I have one in the front room. If I have a sore, I simply cut off a leaf and squeeze the goo onto it, and it heals incredibly quickly. It's like a living first aid kit.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:38 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Yes, Tiger Balm is magic, cure all stuff. Don't know what they put in it, but it really does work.
And aloe vera are the easiest plants in the world to grow. I have one in the front room. If I have a sore, I simply cut off a leaf and squeeze the goo onto it, and it heals incredibly quickly. It's like a living first aid kit.

Aloe Vera ... agreed is ace :thumbup:

We always keep some in the kitchen ...

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 pm
World XV Player

OA in one of my knees but my aches stem from a degenarative back condition. Stopped playing rugby at 42 with a cracked rib so im a bit of a wreck!

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

There was an 80 year old running the line on scumv last night.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
If any old timers out there miss playing the game.
They are starting a walking rugby event at Sardis Rd , less chance of old injuries flaring up.

I thought that was the only type of rugby they EVER played there. :sleepy2:

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Andy Robinson might dispute that...

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm
World XV Player

My old rugby injuries don't really bother me, they were mostly to my face, but I know all about osteo arthritis because i have a false hip after an oil rig accident that led to it. Low impact exercises are good for joints. Notably cycling and rowing, canoeing or kayaking. Swimming too as the water supports the body. Stretching and yoga also improve mobility and as someone else said cod liver oil tablets are proven to work if taken daily over a sustained period of time. A healthy diet also helps, plenty of fresh food and veg, pulses and oily fish and low fat cuts of meat but reward yourself with treats, they won't hurt you. Booze in moderation!!

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 pm
World XV Player

I have heard of.drinking in moderation, ny favourite is the Old Arcade , where is the moderation?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

jimcardiff wrote:
I have heard of.drinking in moderation, ny favourite is the Old Arcade , where is the moderation?
Next door to the cemetery.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Nearly 4 months since I started this so time for an update.

The exercises I found on Youtube for knee and SI Joint pain have been very effective. I can put my socks on and bend down to pick up our dog's mess without groaning.

I have been a gym member for 6 weeks and am getting excellent results on the strength machines and on X Trainer. I have also dug my own X Trainer out. My strength and fitness have made great progress.

Now for the downside. About 3 months ago my foot was getting sore with Plantar Fasciitis and this developed quite severely. Had a course of Dyclofenac which helped enormously but since finishing the tablets the pain is almost back to maximum.

So, great progress in general but my foot is a major problem. Will get back to the GP next week to see what can be done.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yard of Ale wrote:
Nearly 4 months since I started this so time for an update.

The exercises I found on Youtube for knee and SI Joint pain have been very effective. I can put my socks on and bend down to pick up our dog's mess without groaning.

I have been a gym member for 6 weeks and am getting excellent results on the strength machines and on X Trainer. I have also dug my own X Trainer out. My strength and fitness have made great progress.

Now for the downside. About 3 months ago my foot was getting sore with Plantar Fasciitis and this developed quite severely. Had a course of Dyclofenac which helped enormously but since finishing the tablets the pain is almost back to maximum.

So, great progress in general but my foot is a major problem. Will get back to the GP next week to see what can be done.

I was once told it was foot roll was caused by pushing too hard after not being fit. Good shoe inserts and slowing off helped me, but I still get it sometimes. I also think hitek high lace up boots helped, but it is subjective. Oh and they make your feet stink

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I was 55 and felt like I do now 10 years ago when the sod buckled my ribs cos I tackled him.

It was so stupid, I just ran at him and hit him into touch ... little did I know.

As the rest of the day I skidded on slippery daps with broken ribs.

Life is a shit sandwich .... it was much more fun then :D

It was when I got told I was picked by ScumV and had to get on the field ... I hadn't even sobered up from last night ... and my boots were in the boot a tree away from the one that hit me next night.

What do you do?

I want to know who delivered the Cider in the water at half time!

I should know but altheimers is a real bugger and that Guy deserves memory :-) x

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next