World XV Player

Post Webb reconciled to exile
Opinions?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... e-14150999

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Webb reconciled to exile
It just daft on so many levels.

They made the rule, possibly for good reason, not to make an exception to the rule under the circumstances, is just madness, an act of self-mutilation.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
It just daft on so many levels.

They made the rule, possibly for good reason, not to make an exception to the rule under the circumstances, is just madness, an act of self-mutilation.

It does not surprise me about the current leadership of the WRU....and to try and defends the "integrity of the decision" shows how shallow, deceitful and inept they really are.

That is what your 70 pound ticket is paying for...

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:59 pm
World XV Player

The 60 cap rule, which has also been practiced by Australia, is a good compromise between a complete ban on exiles and a completely laissez-faire selection policy. It will ensure that more and more good players either stay or return to the Welsh regions, strengthening domestic rugby in the process. (E.g. Ross Moriarty). There have to be some sacrifices, otherwise the rule won't work. Besides, scrum-half is a position - unlike some others - where Wales do have depth: contrary to others, I don't see much if any difference in quality between Webb and Gareth Davies (if anything, the latter has generally been playing better lately than the former, and don't forget how brilliant he was in the World Cup), while Aled Davies and Tomos Williams aren't that far behind either.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
The 60 cap rule, which has also been practiced by Australia, is a good compromise between a complete ban on exiles and a completely laissez-faire selection policy. It will ensure that more and more good players either stay or return to the Welsh regions, strengthening domestic rugby in the process. (E.g. Ross Moriarty). There have to be some sacrifices, otherwise the rule won't work. Besides, scrum-half is a position - unlike some others - where Wales do have depth: contrary to others, I don't see much if any difference in quality between Webb and Gareth Davies (if anything, the latter has generally been playing better lately than the former, and don't forget how brilliant he was in the World Cup), while Aled Davies and Tomos Williams aren't that far behind either.

One should remember that Aus introduced their rule to ensure the return of well established pmayers already exited Oz and regretted e.g Giteau

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:12 pm
World XV Player

This rule was because the favoured 4 wanted it , get Welsh players for less than the fair market price simples

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:24 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I've very mixed views on this.
1. It is a self defeating policy.
2. It was brought in very much to please the regions, who wanted the number of caps set at seventy.
3. Even under the old ruling, there would have been huge doubt as to whether Webb's place would be guaranteed, with the wild card selections set to drop to two, and he knew this long before he signed for Toulon.

For all Webb's bitching, he has played a large hand in his own fate, as have his club the Ospreys, as well as the WRU. No one comes out of this smelling of roses.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 pm
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:

The rule may or may not be a good one, but i can see the thinking behind it.

There doesnt have to be "sacrifices", there has to be consequences, consequences allow people to make informed choices. There were no consequences of not sacrificing Webb, none.

Davies is in the same bracket as Webb, yes! But Wales needed two quality 9s in tandem, to cover injury and substitutions, Aled Davies and Tomos Williams are not of that quality.

Explain one reason why it made sense to prevent Webb playing for Wales, considering he had signed the contract before the rule was brought in.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I feel sorry for him as the timing was particularly cruel but the player drain needs to end.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
I feel sorry for him as the timing was particularly cruel but the player drain needs to end.

Why does it need to end, let them go give those who are left a chance to shine, let a foreign club pay for their match readiness.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
Pearcey3 wrote:

Why does it need to end, let them go give those who are left a chance to shine, let a foreign club pay for their match readiness.

One key reason why the Irish provinces have been able to succeed (granted, they enjoy tax breaks and other sources of revenue that the Welsh regions don't have, but still) is by being able to retain most of their best players through a strict "stay in Ireland to play for Ireland" policy. Given the underfunding and other problems of the Welsh regions, a complete ban on exiles would not be realistic, but as I said it is a reasonable compromise.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

But I don't really care about the regions , so why should Welsh players be coerced to play for one of the failing 4 , let the cream move on and give others a chance to rise to the top.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
But I don't really care about the regions , so why should Welsh players be coerced to play for one of the failing 4 , let the cream move on and give others a chance to rise to the top.

I suppose you could say the Argies were better off when their team was dispersed thn when they consolidated one in Super Rugby?

There was also some evidence of some payers refusing to join the consolidated set up and prefered the euro or the £

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 pm
World XV Player

[quote="najbritcol"]

One key reason why the Irish provinces have been able to succeed (granted, they enjoy tax breaks and other sources of revenue that the Welsh regions don't have, but still) is by being able to retain most of their best players through a strict "stay in Ireland to play for Ireland" policy. Given the underfunding and other problems of the Welsh regions, a complete ban on exiles would not be realistic, but as I said it is a reasonable compromise.[/quote]

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 am
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:

The regions are the ones that, at least initially, develop players for the national team. Therefore, strong regions would usually mean a strong Wales. Isn't it evident that Wales were generally playing better before the 2011-14 player exodus? Before then, the Scarlets won the Celtic League once, the Ospreys won it three times and the AWC once, and the Blues won the AWC once and the Challenge Cup once (against Toulon, no less). In any case, apart from the Dragons, who I agree are indeed an embarrassment, as this weekend for example proved the regions can compete quite well against the English and French clubs (at least when they don't have too many injuries). The seminal Rugby Vision website ranks the Scarlets as the fifth best team in Europe, while the Ospreys and the Blues are ahead of somewhat wealthier clubs such as Bordeaux and (perhaps rather more shockingly) Leicester.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail