It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Jackman's tirades 
Junior Player

Post Jackman's tirades
Jackman's no nonsense approach may well bring results in the long term but does making his point have to rely on dismissive criticism of players who are trying to do their best? Is it also necessary to pepper his talks at team meetings with so many expletives? All somewhat smacks of treating grown men like a bunch of kids. Trying to make an impact by reinforcing what one says by the use of expletives does not work and is demeaning. He is not addressing a bunch of 'thickies' but intelligent men.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Jackman's tirades
Not sure how intelligent they are or not...... behind closed doors i would imagine most sides use expletives to create mood, tension, and a confrontational atmosphere, fight or flee. Works for some players not for others.

Jackman may be spelling out the reality of those that want contracts.... better get out there and prove they deserve a "*fupping*" contract :dontknow:

The best captain i ever played with, when i later captained him, gave me a bit of advice when i was getting things wrong. "You keep hitting a dog and he will shy away when every time you raise your hand, even if you want to stroke him". You can read the riot act once or twice, then its counterproductive. Particularly if you cant afford a new dog.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Jackman had all sorts of probs at Grenoble....reported ...attitude to players (closed doors 'ranting'), issue against refs (LNR reported).... behaviour of players (incident ...some charged with rape etc) ...

He was discharged without delay and before end of Season or contract but there are 2 sides to this tory which includes players attitudes and performance ...;)

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm
Junior Player

A gold star once again Blindside

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Normally I don’t support ranting in public but the attitude at the dragons has been crap for a years now and it needs saying

Going back to Andrew Coombs trying to do the work of three players while some stood around with their hands on their hips

It’s been a shambles and the players need calling out on it.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:45 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I would be very, very surprised if modern day rugby players, brought up in South Wales, had never been exposed to foul language before.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I would be very, very surprised if modern day rugby players, brought up in South Wales, had never been exposed to foul language before.

Well, the male ones anyway

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

soap wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Well, the male ones anyway

Ooh, I don't know. Some of them girlies have got right potty mouths, these days.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm
Junior Player

Not saying it surprises me but is it necessary to make one's point? The captains I had most respect for were motivational without resorting to such endless use of the 'f' word. Jackman is in a powerful position but power coupled with respect is the ultimate answer. Of course I am only looking from the outside and player's opinions will only emerge over time.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

If I were Jackman, I'd tell those c*** useless f****** to up their game, and if they didn't, they could go ******* themselves.
No better way to remove someone from their comfort zone, than telling them they're a **** who takes it in the *********.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 pm
World XV Player

My best coach would never rant or point out where you were an arse, he would use just look disappointed and it stung more. We tried far more for him than if we were paid ( well, more beer tokens then ) and the other players sort of radiated shame at you if you did something.

Mind, there has to be shame for that to work, so forget it.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
Not saying it surprises me but is it necessary to make one's point? The captains I had most respect for were motivational without resorting to such endless use of the 'f' word. Jackman is in a powerful position but power coupled with respect is the ultimate answer. Of course I am only looking from the outside and player's opinions will only emerge over time.

It is horses for courses. Swearing, clearly has an impact. In some cases it makes people look like a tool, in other instances it makes a good point. Overused it becomes a bit pointless. Some people I have worked with who rarely swear, use it to great effect when they occassionally do.

Regarding your original post. What tirade are you referring to? I missed it.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:

It is horses for courses. Swearing, clearly has an impact. In some cases it makes people look like a tool, in other instances it makes a good point. Overused it becomes a bit pointless. Some people I have worked with who rarely swear, use it to great effect when they occassionally do.

Regarding your original post. What tirade are you referring to? I missed it.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
My best coach would never rant or point out where you were an arse, he would use just look disappointed and it stung more. We tried far more for him than if we were paid ( well, more beer tokens then ) and the other players sort of radiated shame at you if you did something.

Mind, there has to be shame for that to work, so forget it.

I think it's about realism, if in reality, players are giving their best then you must support the team, they are against the wall on the field, they don't need to be against the wall off it. If there is a lack of application, then as professional sportsmen they should be challenged and pushed to earn their corn. If a side does not have the ability to compete you must encourage not bully. Jackman must adapt to the conditions and get the best out of his team, their best may not mean they win many games. What i would ask, is that it is clear no one questions the commitment of the team, it should be plain for everyone to see. Easier said than done when you cant get a win, it only takes a couple to throw the towel in and the floodgates open :)

In reality, the Dragons are mostly made up of players no one else wants to give a full professional contact too, on the terms they offer. Players topping up their retirement fund or those taking a drink in the last chance saloon a couple of young playes looking to move on and up. The results reflect the squad.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Jackman is in an awkward position. He's come in right at the start of this supposed revolution, a whole year before the benefits begin to trickle through. This current season is pretty much a write off, treading water while they wait for the next. Must be very frustrating.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 am