It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Alex Cuthbert to leave the Blues 
World XV Player

Post Alex Cuthbert to leave the Blues
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... t-14123585

As I said in the comments section, if this were four years ago then it would be a significant loss, but now not really. For too long at both international and possibly regional level he has been chosen over better-performing wings.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Alex Cuthbert to leave the Blues
Can not see English or French clubs going for him. He was very good, but now there are many alternative players. Maybe in one league down he could still be an asset.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
Can not see English or French clubs going for him. He was very good, but now there are many alternative players. Maybe in one league down he could still be an asset.

Maybe money-rich Bristol could bring him in?

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
soap wrote:

Maybe money-rich Bristol could bring him in?

Can't think who they have other than Varndell, but there are better options that will probably cost them less, and there is the other down of probably loosing him at international time. He is going to want a lot of pay, so do they go for him or 2 promising youngsters.
Not sure how their sponsorship 'thing' works, would the funding come and they decide who gets it, or do the sponsors make the decision of who is in? This could possibly be to Alex benefit if they think they can use him

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Seems an odd time to announce this as today the Blues have said that they are not interested in signing George North and want some forwards instead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42596635

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Seems an odd time to announce this as today the Blues have said that they are not interested in signing George North and want some forwards instead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42596635

Why would anyone expect joined up thinking from the blues

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

If he signs for a team outside Wales they won't need to worry about international periods as he will become ineligible under the 60-cap rule. He has 47 caps so needs thirteen more, even if he plays in every game over the 6N and three summer tests (not likely given his form) he will only have 55 caps. So unless he wants to call time on Wales completely he'd have to sign with another region - I can't see the Scarlets wanting him, nor can I see either the Dragons or Ospreys wanting both him AND North, though of course one could go to each. I'd say the Ospreys probably would want him more, given that their current wingers are all so injury prone - say what you like about Cuthbert, he has at least proven physically resilient and rarely misses a game. Of course, there are those who would say he might as well be absent at times.

I'd certainly say he could use a change of scenery. I'd actually be surprised if he left Wales at this point, so close to the 60 cap mark and the world cup, though sometimes I feel it'd be better for Wales if he became ineligible... Two year deal at the Ospreys and then out to pasture in France.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Last time I watched him live was against Gloucester and he was a formidable threat given the ball near the line. I can see why Gatland wishes he could regain consistency as he still looks a class act at times. He could thrive in the Aviva huts as Brew hash done since leaving Wales.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
Last time I watched him live was against Gloucester and he was a formidable threat given the ball near the line. I can see why Gatland wishes he could regain consistency as he still looks a class act at times. He could thrive in the Aviva huts as Brew hash done since leaving Wales.

Iffy and often cumbersome in defence and wise teams know it ;)

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm
Regional Player

He has little rugby instinct that I can see. The opposition seems to be much sharper to react to the bounce of the ball, opposing players are able to judge the flight of the ball better, he looks so cumbersome and heavy on his feet. A big bloke like him should be shaking the opposition like a rag doll, but he stands off and flaps his arms at thin air.

No I don't see him play for Cardiff Blues, I am talking about his performances for Wales over recent years.

Very disappointing after such a great start.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

What happens under the new rules if Gatland wants to select Cuthbert but he ended up playing abroad as none of the Welsh regions offered him a contract?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Haruki wrote:
What happens under the new rules if Gatland wants to select Cuthbert but he ended up playing abroad as none of the Welsh regions offered him a contract?

Still won't be eligible. If you at least do not sign a new contract with a region once your old one is up, you are excluded.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Strange how a player could have been so dynamic and powerful playing for the Lions at 22, then be a shadow of his former self when he should be in his prime at 27 :scratch:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Blindside wrote:
Strange how a player could have been so dynamic and powerful playing for the Lions at 22, then be a shadow of his former self when he should be in his prime at 27 :scratch:

There's something going on - whether it's emotional, psychological, physical, or technical is another question. For whatever reason, time and time again he fumbles the kind of situations he never used to mess up and seems to have totally lost the predatory instinct he once had. I can only assume it's some kind of confidence or concentration problem as from watching him he doesn't seem to be lacking in fitness nor motivation. A sports psychologist would probably be helpful but I'd have thought that would have been tried by now - a change of scenery is surely worth a try. He could have had his pick of top teams a few years ago and whilst his market value must have plummeted, he should be able to get a decent contract somewhere.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Blindside wrote:

There's something going on - whether it's emotional, psychological, physical, or technical is another question. For whatever reason, time and time again he fumbles the kind of situations he never used to mess up and seems to have totally lost the predatory instinct he once had. I can only assume it's some kind of confidence or concentration problem as from watching him he doesn't seem to be lacking in fitness nor motivation. A sports psychologist would probably be helpful but I'd have thought that would have been tried by now - a change of scenery is surely worth a try. He could have had his pick of top teams a few years ago and whilst his market value must have plummeted, he should be able to get a decent contract somewhere.

His form dropped with all of that shenanigans when he was agitating for a move about four five years back when he was hot property. I think Gatland ended up getting involved and advised him to stay, it aklkl went downhill from there though god only knows why.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pm