It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 am

Henson 
Junior Player

Post Henson
Like most others I regret not seeing Henson more in Welsh colours whilst at his best. However for him to state that he still holds out hopes for a place in the Welsh squad for the next World Cup is totally unrealistic. He was brutally exposed in the recent clash with Cardiff Blues and similar to signs displayed in other matches for the Dragons. Jackman is asking him to have a more aggressive approach to the game rather than relying on just his skilful passing in putting others into space. That seems largely to have fallen on deaf ears or his simply goes through the motions. His tackling is too often a token affair and consequently he is bumped off too easily as is clear for all to see. He occasionally joins rucks but that is invariably no more than merely leaning on players. He has also developed the habit of feinting to tackle players hoping to get them to pass only to leave himself vulnerable to an outside break by the opponent as shown in the recent match against the Ospreys. His up and understand are class but his follow up is at a pace which allows others to tackle the receivier and not him. If he is to continue as first choice for the Dragons he needs to address those weaknesses. I would very much welcome him proving me wrong but I hold out little hope. Can't live on past glories for ever.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Henson
Stroud Wizard wrote:
Like most others I regret not seeing Henson more in Welsh colours whilst at his best. However for him to state that he still holds out hopes for a place in the Welsh squad for the next World Cup is totally unrealistic. He was brutally exposed in the recent clash with Cardiff Blues and similar to signs displayed in other matches for the Dragons. Jackman is asking him to have a more aggressive approach to the game rather than relying on just his skilful passing in putting others into space. That seems largely to have fallen on deaf ears or his simply goes through the motions. His tackling is too often a token affair and consequently he is bumped off too easily as is clear for all to see. He occasionally joins rucks but that is invariably no more than merely leaning on players. He has also developed the habit of feinting to tackle players hoping to get them to pass only to leave himself vulnerable to an outside break by the opponent as shown in the recent match against the Ospreys. His up and understand are class but his follow up is at a pace which allows others to tackle the receivier and not him. If he is to continue as first choice for the Dragons he needs to address those weaknesses. I would very much welcome him proving me wrong but I hold out little hope. Can't live on past glories for ever.

I think he now realises he can not afford to get involved in the physical game so much and is being sensible in extending his playing time and being available for the Dragons to progress.
No, he is not going to get back in the Wales squad, unless it is in a coaching role. I hope he does not get gung ho in the hope of impressing, as that would be the end of him.

I do think we missed a wonderful player when he was in his prime though, but his head would not let him be what we wanted him to be.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Did we really miss out on much? Henson has suffered so many injuries that his Test career would always have been stop/start.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I would be suprised to see him in a Welsh top again but with little other choice at centre?

Whether he believes he us going to play or not is hard to tell but he has to say it.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Is there anything left to be said about Henson that hasn't already been said a thousand times before?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Is there anything left to be said about Henson that hasn't already been said a thousand times before?

NO

Except that :scratch: :shock: :D hes either committed or hes not, even playing for the Dragons you cant think ill play it safe and keep out of anything that may injure me. Just nonsense. You play 100% or not at all.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Roberts and JD were better players than gav

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Roberts and JD were better players than gav

Really, really?

John Davies has only been outstanding for 15 months of his career and that in patches, and he started this season in poor form.

He's only now developing the skill set that Henson had at 16 years of age. Foxy is 30 in April.

And, I realise this is a wind-up, mate, but to suggest that the man mountain that is Jamie Roberts was a better player is comparing chalk and granite. :D

I'll give you this though, I'm fairly sure that Jamie is a better leader.

:kermit:

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 am
Regional Player

Precise, fast and accurate passing of the ball is a key part of the game; there are two exponents of this skill in Wales, Gavin Henson and Matthew Morgan; both of whom contribute far more to the game than is gwnerally appreciated.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
Precise, fast and accurate passing of the ball is a key part of the game; there are two exponents of this skill in Wales, Gavin Henson and Matthew Morgan; both of whom contribute far more to the game than is gwnerally appreciated.

Gav excels at the timing of the pass too. He is one of these players who seem to have time for a cup of tea before those around him realise he has the ball, then its gone. His running is also so deceptive that I think it wrong foots opponents into thinking he is moving far slower than he is.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I always got the impression that others around himhad better than normal performances when he was playing .

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:44 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

He can look good at Pro12 level for a couple more years. His international days are way behind him.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:28 pm
Regional Player

I thought my last post would provoke negative comments about Gavin Henson. It is pleasing to see that there is still a nucleus of people who appreciate the skills of this great player.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I don't think many ever doubted him as a player, its is off field antics that have divided folk. For a coach to have to make the decision to include him or drop him when he has such a skill set must tell us something.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
I don't think many ever doubted him as a player, its is off field antics that have divided folk. For a coach to have to make the decision to include him or drop him when he has such a skill set must tell us something.

He lost years of quality rugby due to his mindset not his skill set, his performances were often way off the pace. He had the icing that you need for a great cake but a a shit filling. He was never a great player because you never new which Henson turned up from one week to the next. Way to late now.. :sleepy4: :sleepy4: :sleepy4:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:12 am
Profile E-mail