It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Henson 
World XV Player

Post Re: Henson
Blindside wrote:
soap wrote:
I don't think many ever doubted him as a player, its is off field antics that have divided folk. For a coach to have to make the decision to include him or drop him when he has such a skill set must tell us something.

He lost years of quality rugby due to his mindset not his skill set, his performances were often way off the pace. He had the icing that you need for a great cake but a a shit filling. He was never a great player because you never new which Henson turned up from one week to the next. Way to late now.. :sleepy4: :sleepy4: :sleepy4:

He has always been a great player - his period of playing with one injury for the Ospreys diminished him and when he was carrying two injuries ....... well, that was nonsense.

Lyn was a schmuck and his ability to degrade players is almost unmatched ........

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Roberts and JD were better players than gav

Really, really?

John Davies has only been outstanding for 15 months of his career and that in patches, and he started this season in poor form.

He's only now developing the skill set that Henson had at 16 years of age. Foxy is 30 in April.

And, I realise this is a wind-up, mate, but to suggest that the man mountain that is Jamie Roberts was a better player is comparing chalk and granite. :D

I'll give you this though, I'm fairly sure that Jamie is a better leader.

:kermit:

My post was a little bit inflammatory but is it that wide of the mark. Haven’t both JD and Roberts been lions player of the series? Performed well against the best in the world. Roberts in particular was very effective around 2011.

These guys to a certain extent delivered, with gav all we have is excuses and promises of what could have been

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Said it before and I'll say it again. Gav won two Grand Slams and shagged Charlotte Church. That's hardly the definition of a failure.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:15 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Said it before and I'll say it again. Gav won two Grand Slams and shagged Charlotte Church. That's hardly the definition of a failure.

Question is, how many are in that elite group? :P :P :D

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Question is, how many are in that elite group? :P :P :D

Well, we have a good idea of how many won two Grand Slams.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

For me the correspondence of ‘Blindside’ says it all, I started this thread before the Dragons v Blues match which reinforced the points I made initially, Henson does not like the physical contact side of the game hence his weak tackling, the way he steers clear of trouble and the pathetic way he rushed out of defence against the Blues allowing the opposition through unopposed rather than face tackling head on. He thinks he is pulling the wool over peoples’ eyes but it is blatantly obvious what he is trying to do. Fortunately the Dragons coach seems, to have sussed him out. I am sure we will all be watching his every move or lack of it in his next appearance in the Dragons colours or will he call it a day? Hardly a role model for some of the young Dragons.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yeh, but he even 'Fek's' up with style :D

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
For me the correspondence of ‘Blindside’ says it all, I started this thread before the Dragons v Blues match which reinforced the points I made initially, Henson does not like the physical contact side of the game hence his weak tackling, the way he steers clear of trouble and the pathetic way he rushed out of defence against the Blues allowing the opposition through unopposed rather than face tackling head on. He thinks he is pulling the wool over peoples’ eyes but it is blatantly obvious what he is trying to do. Fortunately the Dragons coach seems, to have sussed him out. I am sure we will all be watching his every move or lack of it in his next appearance in the Dragons colours or will he call it a day? Hardly a role model for some of the young Dragons.

I missed that partucular incident, and personally don't think he has (or had?) a problem with the physicality.

He is a great role model on the pitch for the younger players, worth watching the space he puts his midfield into and some of the high kicks he gives them...

The point remains for tge Dragons though - even if you are correct. What player could the Dragons bring in to do a better job than Henson is at the moment? They are a difficult tean to recruit for and Henson (assuming you are correct) offers a fairly decent alternative.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:07 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It seems that Gav has decided to put on some muscle over the next few weeks and months.

The man is trying to meet modern standards of poundage.

Hmmm.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 am
Junior Player

Yes Bouch that would help but without the willingness to do his share of effective tackling he is not going to win a regular place back. To me it doesn't look if he has the stomach for it. He was the same at Bristol but didn't have a Jackman to take the necessary steps. Against the Ospreys the youngsters brought in by the Dragons were small in stature but big on sheer guts. Henson makes much about bringing youngsters on but in a role reversal he could learn much from them.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
Yes Bouch that would help but without the willingness to do his share of effective tackling he is not going to win a regular place back. To me it doesn't look if he has the stomach for it. He was the same at Bristol but didn't have a Jackman to take the necessary steps. Against the Ospreys the youngsters brought in by the Dragons were small in stature but big on sheer guts. Henson makes much about bringing youngsters on but in a role reversal he could learn much from them.

But the consensus is that he is bringing on the youngsters.

Surely if, as you say, Henson wasn't tackling at Bristol, then it was obvious.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

And this begs the outstanding question of who do they play instead of him? I really can not think of anyone whop would be available to Dragons that I would prefer to see there.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
And this begs the outstanding question of who do they play instead of him? I really can not think of anyone whop would be available to Dragons that I would prefer to see there.

Agree. That is my underlying point.

Dragons have had difficulty recruiting. If they can recruit the best players they possibly can, they can do no more. Henson, for his weaknesses is still probably the best The Dragons could select. The fact that they can't recruit the same as Toulon is a moot point given the position The Dragons are currently in.

For me, Henson's weakness is his speed not his tackling anyway.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Roberts and JD were better players than gav

Other than the Lions I’ve not watched my rugby over the last 12 months so I can’t comment on Henson’s regional form. However I will say this, Henson of 2005 & 2008 was outstanding and imo a better player both Roberts & Davies.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:

Not saying you are right or wrong, but could it not be that you just don't understand his style of play?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail