It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Hibbard signs for Dragons 
International Player

Post Hibbard signs for Dragons
Latest export to return to Wales(Dragons).

DragonsRugby Twitter
Quote:
BREAKING ✍️ | @richardhibbard2 will #JoinTheEvolution at the Dragons on 3-year deal from Gloucester Rugby... more to follow

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Post Re: Hibbard signs for Dragons
More Info. TBH this sounds a great deal for him, he will be closer to 35 when he joins and a 3 year deal, will he even see out the 3 years as a player? Is he coach material?

Dragons Press release
Quote:
The Kingsholm crowd favourite will move back to Wales for the beginning of the 2018/19 season after signing a three-year deal to join the Dragons.

Hooker Hibbard, who has won 38 caps for Wales since his debut in 2006, played in all three of the 2015 British & Irish Lions Tests and continues to prove that he performs at the very highest level after being selected as Gloucester’s player of the year following a tremendous 2016/17 season.

The Neath born front row forward, who turned 34 last week, played for Taibach, Aberavon and Swansea, then spent ten seasons at the Ospreys before joining the Cherry and Whites.

He made his senior Wales debut against Argentina in 2006, scoring his first international try in the win over Scotland at Murrayfield in the 2013 RBS 6 Nations and scored again for Wales against Ireland in August 2015, his most recent international appearance prior to the Rugby World Cup.

“Richard is an outstanding hooker and is someone that will add to our squad on and off the field,” said Dragons Head Coach Bernard Jackman. “He has huge experience at the highest level and given that we have a very young squad at present that expertise will be invaluable.

Hibbard’s arrival is another boost as Bernard Jackman continues to assemble a powerful and abrasive pack resembling the Gwent traditions of the past. Jackman has already successfully retained a number of key players for next season’s campaign including forwards Leon Brown, Elliot Dee, Ollie Griffiths and Joe Davies.

“We have some quality players coming through our system, but we lack some depth in certain positions and Richard signing gives us real depth at Hooker. He believes that he has unfinished business back in Wales and I and all the staff at the Dragons are looking forward to working with him.”

Following recent confirmation that Wales and Lions number 8 Ross Moriarty would be moving to the Rodney Parade next season, the acquisition of Hibbard also from Gloucester is another significant indication of the Dragons’ ambitions. On his move Hibbard revealed his excitement at joining the Dragons, ”I spoke to Bernard who shared his plans for the Dragons and the direction he wants to take the team and I really want to be part of that.

“I’m excited by the move back and what Bernard is building at the Dragons. Contributing to that will be my focus to get the team into a good place. Success may not be overnight, but hopefully in any small way that I can help I can speed that process up.

“The Dragons have an extremely skillful squad and a few experienced players will add to that. Ross coming in is exciting addition. He’ll galvanize the back row and hopefully I can bring some experience in as well.

“I’ve experienced being against the Dragons fans in the past and now I’m looking forward to joining and having them support me.”

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Good signing for the Dragons. Not sure about him as a coach, as I've heard he's a bit on the mental side, but you never know.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:43 pm
World XV Player

GREAT signing for the Dragons.

Very, Very strong and a nasty streak with it.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:32 pm
World XV Player

So is the Dragons the bastion for both the very young and very old then?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Hopefully doesn't get in the way of Elliot Dee's development.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Prys#1 wrote:

That was my first thought. Hopefully he will mentor Dee...but I'm not convinced.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:22 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:

This was my first thought, but if nutured correctly he could actually support it as well.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 am
Regional Player

Dee can't and shouldn't play every single game, and Hibbard is a great impact player off the bench anyway. It's always good to have two quality options in any position.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Interesting signing as he was crap when he left wales but appears to have played some good rugby for glos

34 but may still have some miles on the clock as he didn’t get things together until his later 20s.

Work rate can leave a lot to be desired but impact and scrummaging big strengths

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:41 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Interesting signing as he was crap when he left wales but appears to have played some good rugby for glos

34 but may still have some miles on the clock as he didn’t get things together until his later 20s.

Work rate can leave a lot to be desired but impact and scrummaging big strengths

Not sure i would agree he left the Ospreys on a low, he matured into a very tough cooky. Think the Welsh set up were intimidated by an independent maverick streak, his attitude cost him caps rather than his ability.

When you sign an old player or a young one struggling to break through its a risk. Some top teams take a punt because if it goes tits up they can easily cover it. Sides like the Dragons need a high-risk strategy to work, giving a 3 year contract to a player of this age is high risk, hes used the fact he probably has another good season in him to get 3 years work. Good business for him.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

Not sure i would agree he left the Ospreys on a low, he matured into a very tough cooky. Think the Welsh set up were intimidated by an independent maverick streak, his attitude cost him caps rather than his ability.

When you sign an old player or a young one struggling to break through its a risk. Some top teams take a punt because if it goes tits up they can easily cover it. Sides like the Dragons need a high-risk strategy to work, giving a 3 year contract to a player of this age is high risk, hes used the fact he probably has another good season in him to get 3 years work. Good business for him.

Interesting that consider his firm before going to be ok, maybe it was justvwales he had ho d off the boil?

I agree that the boom and bust strategy has its risks. Hopefully dragons have done their homework

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

34 and past his best, are the Drags becoming a rest home for the almost retired,

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
34 and past his best, are the Drags becoming a rest home for the almost retired,

Still got something to offer, but a 3 year contract seems excessive.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

Still got something to offer, but a 3 year contract seems excessive.

Good poster boy, but it will need to be a big poster... :D

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 pm