It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm

NDC's 
Mini Player

Post NDC's
Just been reviewing the list of players currently on NDC's (as far as I am aware) It shows some shocking selections on who has been chosen for the contracts and really puts the whole process into question, half of the choices for NDC's look really poor decisions to me anbd the likes of Lydiate and Bradley Davies can't be cheap, could we have used that money to secure 3 or 4 of our best younger players instead?

POOR CHOICES
Scott Baldwin - contracted until 2019 RWC but currently 4th choice at best?
Dan Lydiate - struggled with injuries but does he have a place in the new way of playing?
Dan Baker - only got 3 caps and well down the pecking order
Rory Thornton - as above pretty much
James King - was always going to be a fill in utility player and not a first choice so an odd choice for an NDC
Bradley Davies - seems to have an end to his Wales career but taking up NDC funds for another 2 years
Gareth Anscombe - injury issues and hasn't ever looked like nailing down a starting shirt

GOOD CHOICES
Dan Bigger - understandable choice but not renewing
Rhys Webb - as above
Tyler Morgan - understandable choice given his talent and lack of options in his position
Hallam Amos - understandable choice given his talent
Jonathon Davies -great move to help bring Foxy home
Samson Lee - good choice to tie down best TH
Jake Ball - now a first choice at lock
Alyn Wynn - obvious
Leigh Halfpenny - not sure how he fits into an expanded game but you cant blame the WRU for wanting him home

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Post Re: NDC's
It's a limitation inherent to the system that if contracts last 2 or 3 years, you will inevitably sign players who at the time looked like they were part of the Wales setup but end up being outside it.

Probably the reason why no other national union adopts a similar system, to be honest.

When Thornton signed his, the likes of Seb Davies and Adam Beard were nowhere to be seen and he looked like the future at lock. Then you have Lydiate and Bradley Davies who were brought back and then promptly ditched by the national side. You cite the contracts given to Amos and Tyler Morgan as good decisions, but let's be honest, their main purpose was as a sop to the dragons who didn't have any better candidates at the time (Faletau was offered one, but he didn't want to stay) so they couldn't say they were being overlooked.

Frankly I think that now we have the 60-cap rule the NDCs are largely obsolete. There's now no incentive for the most senior players to stay, and similarly much less incentive for the younger players to leave. Better to just share the money out four ways and raise the regions' salary cap.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Scrap the NDCs and spend the money saved on the wages of players at the Dragons. No need for the union to fund the other regions' wage bills any more.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Yeah the choices are pretty random, to say the least.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Its what the clubs wanted instead if central contracts. Go figure.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm
World XV Player

Not sure why Lydiate continually gets flack

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

Because even when fit he failed to get a starting spot in France and struggled to hold one down one even in the Ospreys. Doesnt really carry ball, he is though a terrific defender around the breakdown area. Im not sure that as the game as evolved a little wider than that, that he has been left behind.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

Because even when fit he failed to get a starting spot in France and struggled to hold one down one even in the Ospreys. Doesnt really carry ball, he is though a terrific defender around the breakdown area. Im not sure that as the game as evolved a little wider than that, that he has been left behind.

I take the point that he is limited

But given we are talking about NDCs and the contracting of Welsh players ie Welsh vs Welsh. Is he much worse than the other options we have to pick

I thought shingler was disappointing against SA but that might be my anti shingler bias.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:05 am
Profile E-mail