It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:28 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Drinking culture at Principality Stadium 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35559
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Garethsbrother wrote:
Ive stewarded at the stadium for the past ten years and haven't missed a Welsh rugby match in all that time. I generally cover the same area of the ground. I'd echo what others have said and that drinking at rugby is nothing new - in fact it probably used to be bigger in the eighties. But what has changed is a sociatal attitude of entitlement. It's clear that people are less likely to be bothered by how their wants impact on anyone else.
The last couple of seasons at the stadium has seen a clear rise in anti social behaviour once in drink. I'd take recorded numbers of incidents with a pinch of salt too.

One simple improvement could be stopping individuals from buying four points each at the game. All bar staff and stewards are encouraged to challenge and refuse service to someone drunk however someone's demeanour can radically alter after four uninterrupted pints.

Good post mate - spot on. :clap:

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 7129
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Great idea about the 4 pints the queues would be 4 Times as long so nobody would get a drink before the game , that would work.NOT

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:03 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm
Posts: 368
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
I have a solution. Make the P.S. alcohol free, and sell tickets and alcohol at a lesser price in the Cardiff Arms Park; in front of large screens.

Then those who want to get pissed, can get pissed, and those who want to watch rugby can do so in comfort and have a unrestricted view...............


Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45506
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
JOHNWALES wrote:
I have a solution. Make the P.S. alcohol free, and sell tickets and alcohol at a lesser price in the Cardiff Arms Park; in front of large screens.

Then those who want to get pissed, can get pissed, and those who want to watch rugby can do so in comfort and have a unrestricted view...............


A solution of hops and good quality water might work.


Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:18 am
Profile
Junior Player

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 pm
Posts: 117
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Some good debate based on rational argument. On the other hand there are some who have contributed to this thread who are rudely dismissive of points of view which are different from theirs and one in particular who could be picked out. Yes we have all met those people in life who believe that if they say the same things repeatedly other people will be coerced into believing them. That of course does not work. To boost their ego that usually follows with statements such as ' I am right' and of course everyone is wrong. In the end no-one bothers to listen or give up in responding not because they have lost the argument but purely because they consider the exercise futile or a complete waste of time. It will be interesting to see how the WRU respond to the prloblem of excessive drinking by some which they have recognised. That is sufficient evidence in itself that a problem exists.


Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7765
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Stroud Wizard wrote:
Some good debate based on rational argument. On the other hand there are some who have contributed to this thread who are rudely dismissive of points of view which are different from theirs and one in particular who could be picked out. Yes we have all met those people in life who believe that if they say the same things repeatedly other people will be coerced into believing them. That of course does not work. To boost their ego that usually follows with statements such as ' I am right' and of course everyone is wrong. In the end no-one bothers to listen or give up in responding not because they have lost the argument but purely because they consider the exercise futile or a complete waste of time. It will be interesting to see how the WRU respond to the prloblem of excessive drinking by some which they have recognised. That is sufficient evidence in itself that a problem exists.


I assume you realise that much of that statement you made can also refer to you, or at least how you come across in your posts in this thread?


Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 pm
Posts: 117
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadiumint
I was at pains not to mention any particular contributor to this thread when I made my most recent comment but obviously Cymru am Byth has chosen to identify with the type of person I was referring to. His reaction merely reinforces the points which I made. All I can say is ‘ If the cap fits wear it.’


Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 7129
Location: rhondda
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
I would say that the majority of punters at the stadium are quite happy with the status quo ,or why would they keep on paying so much for tickets

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7765
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadiumint
Stroud Wizard wrote:
I was at pains not to mention any particular contributor to this thread when I made my most recent comment but obviously Cymru am Byth has chosen to identify with the type of person I was referring to. His reaction merely reinforces the points which I made. All I can say is ‘ If the cap fits wear it.’


Almost two montths since the last comment to make what was essentially a backhanded compliment? Hardly a gentlemanly means of engaging in a debate. I've simply pointed out the hypocrisy in your argument.


Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7765
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
For what it's worth, I care little for the subject matter in this debate but what I like is evidence to back up the sort of claims ypu are making - namely that specific incidents are rife and therefore your observations can be applied across the whole stadium.

I've made what I feel are valid points. The responses I've had do not tackle the points I've made. These points appear on pages 9 and 10 amongst other places.

The responses I am getting are ad hominen, against me, for which I really don't care, but I am frustrated that this is used not to answer the questions.

You have singled me out as being rudely dismissive. I am not being rudely dismissive. I am happy to have my opinion changed. However, you need to provide evidence.


Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45506
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Stroud Wizard needs comforting.

A Group Hug might not raise any volunteers though.

Snap out of it Stroud, you know it makes sense.


Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 13822
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Cymru am byth wrote:
Rightly or wrongly many people go to the match and enjoy having beer. The draw of the match for a lot is as much an opportunity for a day out as it is for the game itself. The location in the centre of Cardiff is part of this. I would also say that much of the atmosphere and singing is fuelled by drink.

I seem to remember last time you posted this, I suggested that there should be family areas and maybe stands. Those that don't want to drink can go to one area, those that are happy to move about go to another.

I agree that the examples you make are valid, but it is about ones personal tolerance to this behaviour. Ok, the bloke may well have been falling under the barrier, but equally was he causing trouble or merely annoying you? On the occassion I saw someone who was paraletic at a game, he was annoying but not causing trouble. But was asked to leave.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall saying in your previous message that this isn't a growing culture. My first experience of going to the old stadium in the 90s saw me standing next to a bloke who had shit himself, also you would have to move to one side whenever anyone had a piss. I am not defending this behaviour, but it has happened for a long time.
CLASSIC :laughing8: How do you know the bloke shat himself ???, was there a smell ?, a massive sh*t stain ?, trousers and pants down and pants used as bog roll ?, what was the story butt ?, im laughing like a hyena here. :pottytrain5:
Did you call for a stewart and say this man needs urgent attention ?, i bet it was somebody from Cwmgwrach not wanting to miss any of the game :clock:

_________________
As a scummer once said 'we dont produce anything and live meaningless lives doing meaningless jobs just to payback money that never really existed in the first place'.


Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7765
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
trampie wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Rightly or wrongly many people go to the match and enjoy having beer. The draw of the match for a lot is as much an opportunity for a day out as it is for the game itself. The location in the centre of Cardiff is part of this. I would also say that much of the atmosphere and singing is fuelled by drink.

I seem to remember last time you posted this, I suggested that there should be family areas and maybe stands. Those that don't want to drink can go to one area, those that are happy to move about go to another.

I agree that the examples you make are valid, but it is about ones personal tolerance to this behaviour. Ok, the bloke may well have been falling under the barrier, but equally was he causing trouble or merely annoying you? On the occassion I saw someone who was paraletic at a game, he was annoying but not causing trouble. But was asked to leave.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall saying in your previous message that this isn't a growing culture. My first experience of going to the old stadium in the 90s saw me standing next to a bloke who had shit himself, also you would have to move to one side whenever anyone had a piss. I am not defending this behaviour, but it has happened for a long time.
CLASSIC :laughing8: How do you know the bloke shat himself ???, was there a smell ?, a massive sh*t stain ?, trousers and pants down and pants used as bog roll ?, what was the story butt ?, im laughing like a hyena here. :pottytrain5:
Did you call for a stewart and say this man needs urgent attention ?, i bet it was somebody from Cwmgwrach not wanting to miss any of the game :clock:


I was about 14, everytime the bloke moved it absolutely stank. His mates took the Mickey the whole way through. He was hammered. I can't be certain that he had but by the smell throughout the game ( I saw no visual evidence) the state of him along with his mates constantly saying he had amd that he did not contradict it indicate there was something foreign in his boxers.

The point I tried to make with this is that this was the mid 90s, people were extremely drunk. Not troublesome though. And certainly is not a modern one. My dad purposely took me and my brother to the stand to get some of the atmosphere. People were friendly to us and looked after us both as well.

To argue that drinking is a new phenomenon is not true.


Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 13822
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
Cymru am byth wrote:
trampie wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Rightly or wrongly many people go to the match and enjoy having beer. The draw of the match for a lot is as much an opportunity for a day out as it is for the game itself. The location in the centre of Cardiff is part of this. I would also say that much of the atmosphere and singing is fuelled by drink.

I seem to remember last time you posted this, I suggested that there should be family areas and maybe stands. Those that don't want to drink can go to one area, those that are happy to move about go to another.

I agree that the examples you make are valid, but it is about ones personal tolerance to this behaviour. Ok, the bloke may well have been falling under the barrier, but equally was he causing trouble or merely annoying you? On the occassion I saw someone who was paraletic at a game, he was annoying but not causing trouble. But was asked to leave.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall saying in your previous message that this isn't a growing culture. My first experience of going to the old stadium in the 90s saw me standing next to a bloke who had shit himself, also you would have to move to one side whenever anyone had a piss. I am not defending this behaviour, but it has happened for a long time.
CLASSIC :laughing8: How do you know the bloke shat himself ???, was there a smell ?, a massive sh*t stain ?, trousers and pants down and pants used as bog roll ?, what was the story butt ?, im laughing like a hyena here. :pottytrain5:
Did you call for a stewart and say this man needs urgent attention ?, i bet it was somebody from Cwmgwrach not wanting to miss any of the game :clock:


I was about 14, everytime the bloke moved it absolutely stank. His mates took the Mickey the whole way through. He was hammered. I can't be certain that he had but by the smell throughout the game ( I saw no visual evidence) the state of him along with his mates constantly saying he had amd that he did not contradict it indicate there was something foreign in his boxers.

The point I tried to make with this is that this was the mid 90s, people were extremely drunk. Not troublesome though. And certainly is not a modern one. My dad purposely took me and my brother to the stand to get some of the atmosphere. People were friendly to us and looked after us both as well.

To argue that drinking is a new phenomenon is not true.

I remember the 80s in something of a haze so i agree, sounds like the guy was on Brains RD to me, i think that is what they called their dark back in the day ?, not strong but known to come out both ends. :lol:

_________________
As a scummer once said 'we dont produce anything and live meaningless lives doing meaningless jobs just to payback money that never really existed in the first place'.


Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 13822
Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
I think they should close the bars in the ground as things stand, tickets cost a fortune and people should be able to watch in relative peace at that price, lots more females and children go to games these days as well.

I'm all for terracing, perhaps if terracing was opened up there could be bars on the concourse behind the terracing but there again H&S would not like that.

_________________
As a scummer once said 'we dont produce anything and live meaningless lives doing meaningless jobs just to payback money that never really existed in the first place'.


Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: