It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
Drinking culture at Principality Stadium 
World XV Player

Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
I dont think anyone is to far off the mark on the thread. You have got to be pretty unlucky to have your day spoilt but kids can be exposed so some choice bad language, a segregated section for families or even a no drinking section would i think be a positive move.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Big And Dull wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
They should have a family section where drunks are not welcome, where kids don't have to listen to louts swearing and acting the goat, and another section for old farts, where drunks, families and anyone else who doesn't want to sit in silence can enjoy the game.

There used to be an area set aside in the old East Terrace next to the North Stand for schoolkids, but that was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure that for the GS game in 2005 I was sat in the West lower in an area which was supposed to be for youngsters because the ticket was very cheap

Glanmor's Gap looks like a good place for a family area, its set apart from the rest of the ground, makes sense to have one if drunkenness and thuggery is making headlines. Another reason I liked standing, if you were next to or near someone who was annoying, you could work your way through the crowd to make distance from them, in a seat you are lumbered for the whole match.
I never got pissed on in a standing terrace, I have had people offer me out, wanting to take me round the back of the stand, but it comes with the territory I reckon. Without knowing it, I was standing right next to around 50 Chelsea Headhunters in the Kop at Wrexham once, when the Chelsea lot let us know they were there, everyone ran, Chelsea took the Kop without a punch being thrown, I've never felt so relieved, I thought I was in for a right kicking.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
They should have a family section where drunks are not welcome, where kids don't have to listen to louts swearing and acting the goat, and another section for old farts, where drunks, families and anyone else who doesn't want to sit in silence can enjoy the game.

There used to be an area set aside in the old East Terrace next to the North Stand for schoolkids, but that was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure that for the GS game in 2005 I was sat in the West lower in an area which was supposed to be for youngsters because the ticket was very cheap

Glanmor's Gap looks like a good place for a family area, its set apart from the rest of the ground, makes sense to have one if drunkenness and thuggery is making headlines. Another reason I liked standing, if you were next to or near someone who was annoying, you could work your way through the crowd to make distance from them, in a seat you are lumbered for the whole match.
I never got pissed on in a standing terrace, I have had people offer me out, wanting to take me round the back of the stand, but it comes with the territory I reckon. Without knowing it, I was standing right next to around 50 Chelsea Headhunters in the Kop at Wrexham once, when the Chelsea lot let us know they were there, everyone ran, Chelsea took the Kop without a punch being thrown, I've never felt so relieved, I thought I was in for a right kicking.

I was there when some 20 hooligans from some town called Millwall cleared the Grange End. I was drinking my tea at the time all warm in the hwyl of it all, though we didn't know what the word meant. Then they charged all 3000 of us, it was like lions amongst gazelles! I just drank my tea and watched, I learnt early on that running made one prey. I have never seen such behaviour, as got me used to that, at The 'Millennium/Principality/Who's Next' stadium. Here is where I go off on a tangent ... what shocked me most were the parallel queues of hundreds of women waiting to piss down their water holes getting in the way of Us Men going to ours, and I mean both. The stadium is simply badly designed. If they want to bring in Women and Children then design it for them, not expect them to squeeze into a primal male arena. Ditto for those who don't like the common sense of Dr. Phibes and JimCardiff. I find much of this thread greatly exaggerated and yet smile at Tel's memories of how things used to be, because I think things are pretty much as they have always been before Women and Children attended. But then that is society, not Rugby, in its relentless drive to deny primordial man a space to breath and be at peace in the enjoyment of rivalry.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Here's another thought: what is it about these english cricketer's getting pissed up and banned all the time?

I know that this thread is against some perceived problem amongst Welsh rugby fans but it seems to me that the original poster is of the ilk to be ought more concerned about the behaviour of his kind.

In Rugby and Cricket the english habitually embarrass so it makes me think that this thread is some 'Donald Trump like' fake news trick to distract from the perennial nauseousness of english sportsmen abroad.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:05 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

I was there when some 20 hooligans from some town called Millwall cleared the Grange End. I was drinking my tea at the time all warm in the hwyl of it all, though we didn't know what the word meant. Then they charged all 3000 of us, it was like lions amongst gazelles! I just drank my tea and watched, I learnt early on that running made one prey. I have never seen such behaviour, as got me used to that, at The 'Millennium/Principality/Who's Next' stadium. Here is where I go off on a tangent ... what shocked me most were the parallel queues of hundreds of women waiting to piss down their water holes getting in the way of Us Men going to ours, and I mean both. The stadium is simply badly designed. If they want to bring in Women and Children then design it for them, not expect them to squeeze into a primal male arena. Ditto for those who don't like the common sense of Dr. Phibes and JimCardiff. I find much of this thread greatly exaggerated and yet smile at Tel's memories of how things used to be, because I think things are pretty much as they have always been before Women and Children attended. But then that is society, not Rugby, in its relentless drive to deny primordial man a space to breath and be at peace in the enjoyment of rivalry.

West Ham came into the Kop, about 15 handed and got a good kicking, there must have been a train strike that day as these guys obviously weren't ICF. What made me laugh is that the old bill never kick these thugs out of the ground, they lead them onto the pitch, and then walk them around the perimeter and put them in the away end, problem solved. Life was simpler back then.
Talking of Millwall, I used to live near the old Den on Cold Blow Lane, the most intimidating ground I've ever seen, waste land on one side backing onto a warren of railway tunnels, and skip and scrap yards on the other. Never went near the place on match day, didn't want to take the risk of being asked where I came from.

Agree with your last sentence, society today seems to try and stamp out anything in that department.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

While not getting Victoria by out the numbers, the Wru and police have stated little or no increase to evictions during the AI s than normal

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Jimcardiff, the WRU would say that wouldn’t they. It also ignores the fact that little or no action is taken by the stewards even when justified as already quoted by me earlier in this thread supported by the examples of others who will no longer attend the Principality as a result. This problem will not go away and I fear that it will escalate to the point where something even more serious will happen. Personnel in the debenture office are unfailingly courteous and sympathetic which is not matched by their smug WRU superiors who turn up for the match to be royally entertained and sit in areas where there is the minimum of disturbance during the game. They do not have to cope with beer swilled areas or to quote one contributor to this thread having to contend with vomit from the tier above. If the WRU fails to respond to such examples what hope is there of anything ever being done.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Should they ban Beer at rugby matches?

Stopping the trains and making people queue in the rain is also good for upsetting these boozers.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm
World XV Player

Rugby is for The People not The Toff's .. if you don't like mixing with people then stay at home. Simples :thefinger:

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Rugby is for The People not The Toff's .. if you don't like mixing with people then stay at home. Simples :thefinger:

It seems Brexit Logic is becoming the norm.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

It seems Brexit Logic is becoming the norm.

ooooohhhh you cheeky buggar! I decline to accept that assertion ... you just wait until I get dressed you sod!

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
Jimcardiff, the WRU would say that wouldn’t they. It also ignores the fact that little or no action is taken by the stewards even when justified as already quoted by me earlier in this thread supported by the examples of others who will no longer attend the Principality as a result. This problem will not go away and I fear that it will escalate to the point where something even more serious will happen. Personnel in the debenture office are unfailingly courteous and sympathetic which is not matched by their smug WRU superiors who turn up for the match to be royally entertained and sit in areas where there is the minimum of disturbance during the game. They do not have to cope with beer swilled areas or to quote one contributor to this thread having to contend with vomit from the tier above. If the WRU fails to respond to such examples what hope is there of anything ever being done.

How many people have been puked on from the terrace above? I have never heard of this happening to anyone except on here. I don't doubt it has happened but to make out like this happens to everyone every game is distorting the reality.

The WRU does not respond to these examples because they aren't that common and the evidence is that this is rare.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:

Perhaps they said it cos it's true , as I have said several time I have not come across any bad behavior at the stadium, now I will agree that does not mean it doesn't happen, it does to me say it is rare,

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Sadly old enough to remember standing at the old national stadium and the drinking that went on there was historic.
The only difference between then and now is probably social media making a bigger fuss of it and seating means that you cannot move into an area better suited to your preferences.
The rugby is and remains a day out and the drinking culture that has always been part & parcel of the game means that there will always be issues.
I am not saying that drunken behaviour is right but we have to look at the broader picture and say that the vast majority of people have a good time and will not experience any problems.
If people step out of line then the stewards need to Justify their existence and deal with any flash points quickly and efficiently or alternatively not grant entry to those already too lubricated for their and others own good.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:14 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

majorblue wrote:
Sadly old enough to remember standing at the old national stadium and the drinking that went on there was historic.
The only difference between then and now is probably social media making a bigger fuss of it and seating means that you cannot move into an area better suited to your preferences.
The rugby is and remains a day out and the drinking culture that has always been part & parcel of the game means that there will always be issues.
I am not saying that drunken behaviour is right but we have to look at the broader picture and say that the vast majority of people have a good time and will not experience any problems.
If people step out of line then the stewards need to Justify their existence and deal with any flash points quickly and efficiently or alternatively not grant entry to those already too lubricated for their and others own good.

Sorry to much common sense in this post , mods sort it out will you.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next