It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Drinking culture at Principality Stadium 
Junior Player

Post Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
A few years ago I posted a thread about the growing drinking culture at the then Millennium Stadium of course now replicated at the Principality. I received much abuse although a debenture holder and having invested my money in the stadium. No doubt such abuse was from those who prefer to attend matches and get as much drink into them as possible. The problem has not gone away and has got worse. Many who formerly attended just to concentrate on watching the game have been put off by constant interruptions as people leave their seats to replenish at the bar. That is constant during a match. it is dreadful for those like me who have paid out a substantial sum of money to concentrate on watching a game of rugby. Five minutes or so before half time, often a crucial stage of the game, is a peak time for exit. My pleas and those of others has fallen on deaf ears. I look over to the first tier opposite where many of the WRU members and associates sit and see comparative calm. These people are virtually free from interruptions and unseemly behaviour and turn a blind eye to what others have to experience. At the New Zealand match which I attended one man in the row in front of me in U31 was so drunk he kept slipping out of his seat and under the barrier which separated Row 3 from TV crews and commentators. When eventually one of the crew summoned a security official the offender was simply told not to do that again. It was clear that he should have been ejected. When he and his mate left, presumably to go to the bar, well before the end of the game the area where they had been sitting and adjacent areas were swimming with beer and litter making it impossible for other spectators
to avoid their footwear resting in beer. That is replicated elsewhere no doubt as people bring in several pints of beer in trays and store under their seats. Compulsive drinkers might think all that is a good laugh but I trust most would not agree. Money rules and I have little doubt that the WRU will continue to sweep problems under the carpet as coffers are lined with bar takings. There is no doubt in my mind that standards are being dragged down at the Principality as illustrated by a report on Wales Today of the abuse experienced by one female who has vowed never to attend an international at the Principality again. The rugby writer Peter Jackson was spot on, in the same TV report, when voicing his opinion that bars should be closed during matches. That would help but would not entirely solve the problem. He also referred to no end of people he knows who have stopped attending matches because of constant disturbances. Yes tickets are still sold but a loss of people like me who merely want to concentrate on the game. No doubt those who feel they cannot enjoy the occasion without downing several pints will respond to this thread with the same abuse I have experienced in the past but there may also be those who are as fed up as me in having to put up with this increasing problem.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:20 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Drinking culture at Principality Stadium
I don't miss many game at the stadium and have not had any of the problems you are on about.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

I agree with you about the booze - but I am more concerned with the reports of violent and aggressive behaviour. There was a story about a wheelchair user and their friend being victimised by a group of drunken louts during the NZ game which makes me sick.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Rightly or wrongly many people go to the match and enjoy having beer. The draw of the match for a lot is as much an opportunity for a day out as it is for the game itself. The location in the centre of Cardiff is part of this. I would also say that much of the atmosphere and singing is fuelled by drink.

I seem to remember last time you posted this, I suggested that there should be family areas and maybe stands. Those that don't want to drink can go to one area, those that are happy to move about go to another.

I agree that the examples you make are valid, but it is about ones personal tolerance to this behaviour. Ok, the bloke may well have been falling under the barrier, but equally was he causing trouble or merely annoying you? On the occassion I saw someone who was paraletic at a game, he was annoying but not causing trouble. But was asked to leave.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall saying in your previous message that this isn't a growing culture. My first experience of going to the old stadium in the 90s saw me standing next to a bloke who had shit himself, also you would have to move to one side whenever anyone had a piss. I am not defending this behaviour, but it has happened for a long time.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

I don't for one minute accept the defences put up by the respondents to my thread. To defend booze as contributing to the atmosphere and singing is almost unbelievable. The only upshot I am afraid is a stadium which has driven out those who do not drink or drink sensibly in favour of those whose idea off a day out is to get as much booze as possible down their necks. Depressing.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud, mate.

The English can only sing freely after they've drunk a few pints.

It's like the saes pretending the Welsh language is all gargles and phlegm.

:shock:

The Welsh can sing well when sober or tippling.

It's a gift.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:19 pm
International Player

Believe you me. In my experience, Twickenham is just as bad.

I've been there on 4/5 occasions and every time I've sworn it would be the last time. Then mistakenly been persuaded to go again against my better judgement only to discover that it was even worse than the last time. I found that apart from the interruptions caused by endless journeys to replenish supplies at the hideously expensive bars and consequent visits to the toilets (civilised folk the English), the stadium itself is a cold and soulless concrete monstrosity.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
I don't for one minute accept the defences put up by the respondents to my thread. To defend booze as contributing to the atmosphere and singing is almost unbelievable. The only upshot I am afraid is a stadium which has driven out those who do not drink or drink sensibly in favour of those whose idea off a day out is to get as much booze as possible down their necks. Depressing.

They aren't defences. They are fairly objective observations.

Listen to the volume of the crowd at a late kick off on Saturday compared to the crowd at a mid day kick off. They are generally louder in a later match, likely as people will have been at the pubs longer.

You yourself will surely have witnessed more drunkeness at later games than early ones? You yourself will also accept that people who have had some beer are more likely to make more noise?

It's not unreasonable to say that a significant number of people who start singing, on their own, are more likely to have had beer.

I accept you don't like the above. Though, how often are you likely to start a song, on your own? On the other hand, if you were plied with drink before a game, and turned up pissed after a session in Cardiff, it's more likely you would start more songs and be nmore vocal. I am not suggesting you try this, but I am sure you follow the logic.

On a stadium wide scale, a lot of the sound, a lot of the singing will almost certainly be fuelled in part by beer.

I don't defend or criticise this, I am simply drawing the logic that drinking makes you louder.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There are people who go to the game and have a drink, which I do myself, and a growing group of people who go to an event, irrespective of what it is, just to be there and drink so they can say they were there to make them feel included.

The first group, well ok, its not ideal, but I can accept it. People want to go to the rugby and get carried away with the occasion.
I was in the ground two and a half hours before the start of the game and did have maybe 3 drinks that I had not intended to, bur they asked us to arrive early just to get us through security before the start.

Others I did see almost legless turning up, having been for food and a good drink before entering, and apparently not concerned about missing the start and taking ages to pass and settle, during the game.

I hope I am not labouring the point, but many now seem to want to be there rather than see the game.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

For comparison purposes I go back to late 50's then ++ on the terraces ..

Drunkenness not very much. No booze other than small flasks.

Had to get in early.

Better atmosphere, continual singing and various escapades as entertainment...giant leeks planted on the centre line with the occasional prayer.
Folks climbing up the goal posts...
Chases as police tried to catch the performers .. all in good fun really.

People who were near fainting passed overhead .. some cheating to get to the front.
That smell of urine (don't wear a Harold Wilson mac or you'll get your pockets filled.)

The wonderful banter and leg pulls ...

Sometimes a sway in the crowd that wasn't pleasant (once in Taff end for Sco match 1976 barrier gave in and we ended up being hauled inside the fence .. it WAS dangerous and a Sheffield was not that far away truly .. nothing much made of it after, press etc .. memorable match French ref, a DR Cuny, on first cap was injured, refused to leave the field and rarely caught up with play! never reffed another)

Flat caps, Rosettes and scarves, some daffs and the occasional leeks...no bloody trumpets!
Often got very wet.

My God it was worth it, rich memory :thumbup: :clap: .

When I see the bloody spectators wanting to be on the big screen rather than watch the match I reflect on those days ... ;)

I know I've posted it before but this stream invited it again. ;)

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:16 pm
World XV Player

It's a 'problem' at all sporting events in my mind other than football where it's banned. I've been to the cricket, the NFL and rugby and it's just the same wherever you go, whatever the venue, whatever the country. Folk like to enjoy a pint, yes it's annoying sometimes but it's a part of the game day experience. Personally, I don't drink at matches anymore because I don't want a full bladder and to miss any of the game because I'm desperate for a piss but in my younger days i'd be going for it...Live and let live!!

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm
International Player

People attending the games now are more pissed than those attending in the past.
The WRU can't do much about the situation outside the stadium but there's lots of simple things they could do inside the stadium.
The response they've given to the latest criticism just underlines what a bunch of incompetents they are. Brainless under achievers and clueless about caring for the brand - Welsh rugby.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
People attending the games now are more pissed than those attending in the past.
The WRU can't do much about the situation outside the stadium but there's lots of simple things they could do inside the stadium.
The response they've given to the latest criticism just underlines what a bunch of incompetents they are. Brainless under achievers and clueless about caring for the brand - Welsh rugby.

But given that it is still popular and they are making money from it, it would be sensible to carry on?

I reask the question whether they are more pissed. As I said, I went to see Wales v France in 1996. The bloke next to me had shit himself.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
eog wrote:

But given that it is still popular and they are making money from it, it would be sensible to carry on?

I reask the question whether they are more pissed. As I said, I went to see Wales v France in 1996. The bloke next to me had shit himself.

What's the "they are making more money out of it " in relevance to the booze issue?

Have a look at increased pricing and think again ;)

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
eog wrote:

What's the "they are making more money out of it " in relevance to the booze issue?

Have a look at increased pricing and think again ;)

They are surely making money from selling it no?

In the same way they make money from programmes and food. Assuming they cab sell tickets get people in and sell them loads of burgers, programmes and beer, thwy have done a good job?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next