It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:43 pm

WRU Dope wants slower and more gentle Rugger 
World XV Player

Post WRU Dope wants slower and more gentle Rugger
WRU chief: 'Limit subs' to cut rugby injuries

Gareth - the least physical #10 I've ever seen on a rugby field, including Schools Rugby - wants to reduced the number of subs on duty.

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41904066

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 am
World XV Player

Post Re: WRU Dope wants slower and more gentle Rugger
Here's the Medic's comments :-

Research by Dr Izzy Moore from Cardiff Metropolitan University has shown the number of reported concussions has increased by 172% in four seasons.

The research, which is funded by the WRU and rugby's governing body World Rugby, has also revealed players who play more than 25 games per season are more likely to receive a concussion injury and the overall risk of getting injured in international rugby is twice as high as a regional or club match.

Dr Moore told the programme: "The numbers are high. We need to do something". GETTING MEDICS ONTO THE PITCH EARLIER WOULD BE GOOD, IZZY.

"In a contacT sport, there will always be some risk. Deciding when the risk is too high is the ultimate question."

COLLISION SPORT, IZZY.

It's why people come to watch - collisions and artistry are major highlights and sometimes it's one and sometimes its the other.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am
World XV Player

Izzy is a good looking lass and she does have a brain in her head.

Reducing subs is not the answer though.

Major head injuries are a curse but I'd be looking at refereeing foul play a lot more strictly rather than most other proposals

Banning head hunters for a minimum period of 20 games might be effective. Who'd have a nut job (pun intended) on the books then?

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 am
International Player

I've long thought that reducing the number of subs significantly would be great for rugby.
Whether that would make any difference to concussion rates ......

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

welshy34 wrote:
I've long thought that reducing the number of subs significantly would be great for rugby.
Whether that would make any difference to concussion rates ......

I'm concerned.

Reduce subs and increase the number of dropped knees and dead legs, sly elbows, etc., etc.

The TMOs will be even busier in the countries that use them properly.

:dontknow:

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 pm
World XV Player

An article last year, written by a Scottish coach argued that players gravitometers in their shirts are used as a means of checking tiredness. Players are going in for unnecessarily hard tackles or entering rucks too hard to fool the data into thinking they are fresh. Removing the risk of being taken off, by reducing the number of subs may reduce these sorts of impact.

Also, reducing the number of subs means you have tired players doing the tackling which reduces the intensity.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
An article last year, written by a Scottish coach argued that players gravitometers in their shirts are used as a means of checking tiredness. Players are going in for unnecessarily hard tackles or entering rucks too hard to fool the data into thinking they are fresh. Removing the risk of being taken off, by reducing the number of subs may reduce these sorts of impact.

Also, reducing the number of subs means you have tired players doing the tackling which reduces the intensity.

That's the thinking.

The flip side is technique suffers when you're tired, which increases the risk of injury.

It's a thought with merit I think, I don't think it'll fly though

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

That's the thinking.

The flip side is technique suffers when you're tired, which increases the risk of injury.

I would prefer a rule change which did not allow tactical substitutions for at least an hour into the game, and put the onus on front row players to get fitter. This 48/50 minute routine of the front row being entirely replaced is a joke.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:29 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Langland Exile wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

That's the thinking.

I would prefer a rule change which did not allow tactical substitutions for at least an hour into the game, and put the onus on front row players to get fitter. This 48/50 minute routine of the front row being entirely replaced is a joke.

I agree and it ruins the game, along with the uncontested scrums rule.

Perhaps we could have a rule that if if one of the oppositions wingers goes off with an injury, both teams have to hop instead of running

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Probably get a slower and less contact from Wales on Saturday, not from the ossies though

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Remove 'own' set piece as a penalty option. Kick at goal, tap and go or kick to touch but opposition have throw in

OK, reinventing the wheel but 20 minute scrums in injury time are just beginning to take the piss.

Less set piece, less wear and tear.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 pm