It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 am

Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018 
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018
Figaro wrote:
Good, the Dragons need some more depth at 9 and 10. With the exception of Pretorius their scrumhalves are all useless, and Pretorius is 33, so Rhodri Williams is a perfect signing; and O'Brien looks very fragile as an alternative to Henson so signing a 10 is to be welcomed, though it remains to be seen whether Jordan Williams is an improvement..

I would actually like to see the Dragons sign a decent SH Fly half. The welsh squad has decent depth at 10 at the moment, all the other regions have multiple Welsh qualified 10s so I don't think it's an issue for the first choice at the dragons to be NWQ - Henson probably isn't going to last much beyond next season and is only one injury away from being absent, so some depth would be good. Someone like Marty Banks, the Highlanders fly half who signed for Treviso, would be perfect. Angus O'Brien is OK, but has had a lot of game time now and has never really looked like he is good enough to be first choice 10 at a competitive Pro14 side.

One of the best flyhalves I've seen play in the last few years is Robert du Preez. Only kept out of the Bok team by the quota system. Three years he could be playing for Wales, or is it now5 years? He was absolutely brilliant when playing for Barbarians last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_du ... _born_1993)
Hopefully he has a Welsh grandmother or grandfather. :D

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Good, the Dragons need some more depth at 9 and 10. With the exception of Pretorius their scrumhalves are all useless, and Pretorius is 33, so Rhodri Williams is a perfect signing; and O'Brien looks very fragile as an alternative to Henson so signing a 10 is to be welcomed, though it remains to be seen whether Jordan Williams is an improvement..

I would actually like to see the Dragons sign a decent SH Fly half. The welsh squad has decent depth at 10 at the moment, all the other regions have multiple Welsh qualified 10s so I don't think it's an issue for the first choice at the dragons to be NWQ - Henson probably isn't going to last much beyond next season and is only one injury away from being absent, so some depth would be good. Someone like Marty Banks, the Highlanders fly half who signed for Treviso, would be perfect. Angus O'Brien is OK, but has had a lot of game time now and has never really looked like he is good enough to be first choice 10 at a competitive Pro14 side.

One of the best flyhalves I've seen play in the last few years is Robert du Preez. Only kept out of the Bok team by the quota system. Three years he could be playing for Wales, or is it now5 years? He was absolutely brilliant when playing for Barbarians last year.

If not, we can find one for him,as we did with Sinkinson. :P :D

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:31 pm
World XV Player

Is that the Jordan Williams who all the Llanelli fans were telling was going to better than Barry John?

Turned out to be ore like Barry Humphries

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:47 pm
thread ruining clique

He was stand out at under 20 level, played 15 behind Sam Davies at 10. Fast and elusive, has all the attributes, thought he'd progress further.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm
Site Admin

JOHNWALES wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
Excellent recruiting, three more deadbeats to fit in with the rest.

The tosser strikes again !! Condemning a Region and its entire squad. All three will be an asset to the Dragons without too much of a financial strain.
With your knowledge of rugby and rugby finances you would make a fine road bollard.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

BigRed wrote:

Doesn't need to be good enough to play for Wales, if anything, too good and he'll be too expensive and/or snapped up by another team. He just needs to be good enough to manage a game well from 10 so they're not dependent on Henson.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think Jordan Williams in particular is an excellent signing. He produced some magical moments whilst at the Scarlets and possibly his best years are still ahead of him.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Is that the Jordan Williams who all the Llanelli fans were telling was going to better than Barry John?

Turned out to be ore like Barry Humphries

Barry Humphries has talent ;) :D

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:54 am
World XV Player

I agree with the comments regarding this as a positive measure and bringing in small improvements. How long is it since Dragons won away, 2 years?

If a number of small improvements are brought in, they add up.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Rhodri Williams is a good signing and in a position where dragons are pretty poor.

The other two are a punt

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Rhodri Williams is a good signing and in a position where dragons are pretty poor.

The other two are a punt

Fair point, but I can't think they are expensive.

My memory of Jordan Williams was that he was good in attack but accused of being weak in defense. He is surely better than some od the fring players in the Dragons though? And possibly could be a good member of the team.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Rhodri Williams = > All current Dragons 9s
Ryan Bevington = > Thomas Davies, Phil Price
Jordan Williams = > Jarred Rosser, George Gasson, Adam Hughes, Pat Howard

Definitely improvements and they're not that old either, so could become real acquisitions. Yes they're not necessarily signings to set the pulse racing but I don't know what kind of expectations people have.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

is Angus O'Brian still at the drags , only watched him twice at 10 for Crosskeys v Ponty where he looked very good, and at 15 for Newport v Ponty where he did not look so comfortable.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

jimcardiff wrote:
is Angus O'Brian still at the drags , only watched him twice at 10 for Crosskeys v Ponty where he looked very good, and at 15 for Newport v Ponty where he did not look so comfortable.

Yes he is, he is the second-choice fly-half now behind Henson. His brother is the first-choice fly-half for Newport RFC.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
I agree with the comments regarding this as a positive measure and bringing in small improvements. How long is it since Dragons won away, 2 years?

If a number of small improvements are brought in, they add up.

In the Pro12/14, yes - they beat the Blues, Leinster and Benetton away in the 2014-15 season. However, they have since then had away victories over Pau, Gloucester and Enisei in the European Challenge Cup.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail