It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 am

Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018 
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41901593
Ospreys' centre Joe Thomas joins Dragons on loan

Dragons have signed Ospreys centre Joe Thomas on a short-term deal.

The 21-year-old has made five appearances for the Ospreys in the Anglo-Welsh Cup and linked up with the Dragons on 6 November.

Thomas has scored five tries in 14 British & Irish Cup games for the Premiership Select side.

"I am grateful to Steve Tandy and the Ospreys for helping us out during this difficult period with injuries," said Dragons coach Bernard Jackman.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:

The 21-year-old has made five appearances for the Ospreys in the Anglo-Welsh Cup and linked up with the Dragons on 6 November.

Thomas has scored five tries in 14 British & Irish Cup games for the Premiership Select side.

"I am grateful to Steve Tandy and the Ospreys for helping us out during this difficult period with injuries," said Dragons coach Bernard Jackman.

That's a good story line.

:clap:

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:

That's a good story line.

:clap:

That's a new one on me. The West helping out the East. :dontknow:
Got to be a catch in it somewhere. :D

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Rhodri Williams = > All current Dragons 9s
Ryan Bevington = > Thomas Davies, Phil Price
Jordan Williams = > Jarred Rosser, George Gasson, Adam Hughes, Pat Howard

Definitely improvements and they're not that old either, so could become real acquisitions. Yes they're not necessarily signings to set the pulse racing but I don't know what kind of expectations people have.

I agree with your assessment of the three new recruits.
As regards Jordan Williams, I do not think he has been recruited to compare with the four you quoted above. I think he has been recruited as 2IC to Henson. He will also be useful at FB as well.
AS regards Bevington, although he hasn't ever achieved his potential, he is pretty quick around the park for a prop, this could signal the way the coach wants to direct Dragons.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Rhodri Williams = > All current Dragons 9s
Ryan Bevington = > Thomas Davies, Phil Price
Jordan Williams = > Jarred Rosser, George Gasson, Adam Hughes, Pat Howard

Definitely improvements and they're not that old either, so could become real acquisitions. Yes they're not necessarily signings to set the pulse racing but I don't know what kind of expectations people have.

I agree with your assessment of the three new recruits.
As regards Jordan Williams, I do not think he has been recruited to compare with the four you quoted above. I think he has been recruited as 2IC to Henson. He will also be useful at FB as well.
AS regards Bevington, although he hasn't ever achieved his potential, he is pretty quick around the park for a prop, this could signal the way the coach wants to direct Dragons.

In the case of Rhodri, it was a poor decision to move from Scarlets and I'm pretty sure he regrets this move. Gareth Davies hasn't had the best of seasons and he could well have been in pole position to be number one at P-Y-S.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

I don't think the Scarlets wanted to let Rhodri go - their fans were beat up about it - but you can't blame him for leaving when it became apparent that Aled Davies was preferred as Gareth Davies' backup. He righly felt that if he was going to press his case for Wales (he'd already won a few caps at this point) that he needed to be playing week-in-week out. The only problem was he should have moved to the Dragons two years ago as they've been crying out for a decent scrumhalf ever since Jonathan Evans left; though I can see why Rhodri picked Bristol at the time. Bear in mind when he signed for them they were iminently being promoted, he hadn't intended to spend the last year playing in the championship.

He will be first choice at the Dragons, he is first team ready and not a punt or a prospect. Simply put he is the best Welsh qualified Scrum half the Dragons could reasonably have been expected to sign (I would have preferred to see local boy Jonathan Evans return but that wasn't realistically going to happen and Williams is arguably the better player). He is exactly the sort of player they could and should be targeting. I was saying how the Dragons should be targetting him from last year, and the fact they've gotten his signature shows me that the Dragons are on the right track.

Those who are being negative about these signings should name some players who they think the Dragons should realistically be signing. I get the impression that even if they'd signed Rhys Webb or Aaron Smith certain people would be whinging about how the WRU were spending money on big names instead of paying for something else. It's always easier to be negative.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugb ... lick_Other

Says all you need to know.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:

Those who are being negative about these signings should name some players who they think the Dragons should realistically be signing. I get the impression that even if they'd signed Rhys Webb or Aaron Smith certain people would be whinging about how the WRU were spending money on big names instead of paying for something else. It's always easier to be negative.

I agree. Also, I would add the word COULD after should above.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail