It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 am

Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018
They are Rhodri Williams, Jordan Williams and Ryan Bevington. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41872454

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons sign three Bristol-based Welsh players for 2018
najbritcol wrote:
They are Rhodri Williams, Jordan Williams and Ryan Bevington. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41872454

All rejects from better clubs...

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:53 pm
World XV Player

It's good to see some signings that can enhance the Dragons' back line.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

A tad harsh Sir?, they may not be Pink Floyd but at least they are 'Our' Welsh!

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

I guess since Bevington could never scrummage, he is now in the back line ;)

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:33 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Rhodri Williams 24, Jordan Williams 24 and Ryan Bevington 28. All having a few good years ahead of them. I think is another step forward for Dragons.
Dragons are in need of another scrum-half and I think Rhodri will fit that role adequately. Jordan has been rather badly handled in the past. I think he will be an able 2IC to Henson at flyhalf and will learn a lot in that role. Ryan is another that has never fulfilled his potential. He could well do so playing under a coach who knows what he wants and is prepared to take his time to reach his goal.
Hopefully, he manages to sign Ross Moriarty, this will be a big plus for the region.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Bouch wrote:

;)

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 am
Regional Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I don't think the Scarlets wanted Rhodri to go, he didn't want to have to play second fiddle to Gareth Davies and left of his own accord. He should easily be first choice at the Dragons who desperately need better options at SH.

I'm not sure whether Jordan Williams isn't another Matthew Morgan: awesome but impractical, and one who looks better against Bristol's opponents than he really is. Don't know much about Bebington but he's got to be better than Phil Price and Thomas Davies.

Good news, all in all. Rhodri Williams is exactly the sort of player I think they should be targeting. Now for Sam Lewis at Worcester.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I don't think the Scarlets wanted Rhodri to go, he didn't want to have to play second fiddle to Gareth Davies and left of his own accord. He should easily be first choice at the Dragons who desperately need better options at SH.

I'm not sure whether Jordan Williams isn't another Matthew Morgan: awesome but impractical, and one who looks better against Bristol's opponents than he really is. Don't know much about Bebington but he's got to be better than Phil Price and Thomas Davies.

Good news, all in all. Rhodri Williams is exactly the sort of player I think they should be targeting. Now for Sam Lewis at Worcester.

It's a fair comment, but I personally think he is far better than MM. He certainly knows how to finish and, IMHO, has a better rugby brain. I'm really not sure why he left for Bristol, it was a bad move, but as I said previously, he will learn a lot from Henson.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:56 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

The impression I get is that Bristol were an attractive proposition in the summer of 2016, when these three all signed. They were spending big, had walked the Championship and were looking forward to a bright future in the premiership - I don't think anyone expected them to be quite so poor in 2016-17; everyone knew the likes of London Welsh had struggled but they were much poorer than Bristol who probably really feel like they are entitled to be a top flight team, given their resources and support. I think it was a reasonable bet that they would stay up. These players probably hoped that they were signing up for several seasons in the Premiership That obviously proved wrong, and more than that, Bristol's dismal season in 2016-17 made it apparent that while they can gain promotion quite easily from the Championship they can't rely on staying up. So even though Bristol will fancy their chances at promotion yet again this season, these players won't be feeling that it's somewhere they want to sign on for another few years.

Wasn't Jordan Williams mainly playing club Rugby in his last season at the Scarlets? Of the trio he's the one I'm most dubious about. If the Dragons have one area of strength it's the back three. Is he any good at fly-half?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
The impression I get is that Bristol were an attractive proposition in the summer of 2016, when these three all signed. They were spending big, had walked the Championship and were looking forward to a bright future in the premiership - I don't think anyone expected them to be quite so poor in 2016-17; everyone knew the likes of London Welsh had struggled but they were much poorer than Bristol who probably really feel like they are entitled to be a top flight team, given their resources and support. I think it was a reasonable bet that they would stay up. These players probably hoped that they were signing up for several seasons in the Premiership That obviously proved wrong, and more than that, Bristol's dismal season in 2016-17 made it apparent that while they can gain promotion quite easily from the Championship they can't rely on staying up. So even though Bristol will fancy their chances at promotion yet again this season, these players won't be feeling that it's somewhere they want to sign on for another few years.

Wasn't Jordan Williams mainly playing club Rugby in his last season at the Scarlets? Of the trio he's the one I'm most dubious about. If the Dragons have one area of strength it's the back three. Is he any good at fly-half?

Jordan was initially a flyhalf but Scarlets in their wisdom (or otherwise) wanted to convert him to a full-back. I think he is a natural flyhalf which is why the astute coach of Dragons wants him.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Good, the Dragons need some more depth at 9 and 10. With the exception of Pretorius their scrumhalves are all useless, and Pretorius is 33, so Rhodri Williams is a perfect signing; and O'Brien looks very fragile as an alternative to Henson so signing a 10 is to be welcomed, though it remains to be seen whether Jordan Williams is an improvement..

I would actually like to see the Dragons sign a decent SH Fly half. The welsh squad has decent depth at 10 at the moment, all the other regions have multiple Welsh qualified 10s so I don't think it's an issue for the first choice at the dragons to be NWQ - Henson probably isn't going to last much beyond next season and is only one injury away from being absent, so some depth would be good. Someone like Marty Banks, the Highlanders fly half who signed for Treviso, would be perfect. Angus O'Brien is OK, but has had a lot of game time now and has never really looked like he is good enough to be first choice 10 at a competitive Pro14 side.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Excellent recruiting, three more deadbeats to fit in with the rest.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Thegrimriper wrote:

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

The tosser strikes again !! Condemning a Region and its entire squad. All three will be an asset to the Dragons without too much of a financial strain.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile E-mail