It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Women's rugby in Wales growing (unlike the men's game) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Women's rugby in Wales growing (unlike the men's game)
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
We are on another correctness tangent here .. don't dare say anything 'supportive' or else ... etc.

My point was I ain't interested.

The fact that is it given almost equal air time in the sports reports as if it is as interesting makes me feel like farting because I am just not interested.

It really does seem like women's sport is being force fed, if you are honest and not just being 'correct'. It's a minority sport so why should it be given greater airtime than it merits by its fan base?

Maybe one day they'll make it big but that ought to be the measure for their air time, not some socio politically correct measure of self guilt at being male in the first place.

But the thing is, it is isn't given equal air time.

I get that most people aren't as interested in female sport... but a couple of posters on here have claimed it is being rammed down their throat. For all my protestations on here, I freely admit I have never seen a full game of female rugby. I would probably watch it but it is never on. The only catch up I see is the brief feature on Scrum V.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
We are on another correctness tangent here .. don't dare say anything 'supportive' or else ... etc.

The fact that is it given almost equal air time in the sports reports as if it is as interesting makes me feel like farting because I am just not interested.

It really does seem like women's sport is being force fed, if you are honest and not just being 'correct'. It's a minority sport so why should it be given greater airtime than it merits by its fan base?

Maybe one day they'll make it big but that ought to be the measure for their air time, not some socio politically correct measure of self guilt at being male in the first place.

I get that most people aren't as interested in female sport... but a couple of posters on here have claimed it is being rammed down their throat. For all my protestations on here, I freely admit I have never seen a full game of female rugby. I would probably watch it but it is never on. The only catch up I see is the brief feature on Scrum V.

Maybe it's a radio thing? I have heared more about Female english Rugby than Male Rugby league of late and I don't think my hearing is selective. There absolutely is a move amid the BBC to give equal airtime to Great Male games and insignificant Female games. As if by such doing they will elevate the Women's game. I honestly believe that there is social conditioning and propaganda at work at The BBC these days. So much so that they can not divert their News people to address it correctly.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:58 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Donkka wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Where have the BBC shoved it down your throat? How many hours are set aside in a year for women's rugby 1? 2? Women make up over half the population therefore they pay over half the licence fee (I know that a stretch but you get my point) So why aren't they entitled to some TV coverage?[/quot

You obviously don't watch BBC much fella. We were treated to interviews/clips in the week prior to the WC final plus the whole of the final was televised.

Over half of the population" - this is crap and does really deserve a reply, but... try golf, hockey, tennis, soccer,l are more popular than rugby. Shoudn't there be more of these for women on TV based on your presumption ?

You might have had a point but the Women's RWC was on ITV so if you are going to gob off at least get your facts right

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

This thread is pretty embarrassing for rugby fans, and blokes. :?

You fellas do realize that women have had men’s sports rammed down their gullets since forever, from TV, to school, to media, to family.

It’s about *fupping* time they got their day in the sun. They do afterall account for half of the population, and from a loving and caring standpoint, the better half.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 am
World XV Player

I've said that for years and the abiding memory for me from school days is goggling at the legs on Hockey players.

POWER.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:03 am
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Maybe it's a radio thing? I have heared more about Female english Rugby than Male Rugby league of late and I don't think my hearing is selective. There absolutely is a move amid the BBC to give equal airtime to Great Male games and insignificant Female games. As if by such doing they will elevate the Women's game. I honestly believe that there is social conditioning and propaganda at work at The BBC these days. So much so that they can not divert their News people to address it correctly.

How does any sport become a popular on tv? I don't think it is to do with participation. Sure, football is certainly the most played sport but more women probably play rugby than men do participate in motor sport. More women probably play football than men do boxing. More women play badminton than probably men do rowing. I have probably played rounders more than any other sport in the last couple of years. In fact, it is probably one of the most popular sports in the country. However, I have never seen it on tele once.

The popularity of a sport or pseudo sport (e.g. WWE) or games like poker (which seems to be on tele more than women's rugby) is a lot to do with marketing and creating an audience. The only women's sports I can think of that get good coverage is tennis, and athletics.

Someone somewhere decided to market certain sports. e.g. Barry Hearne and his involvement in making snooker and darts popular on tele.

So, someone somewhere decides to promote a certain sport, create a market for it and make it more popular. Let's argue that you are right and that rugby is being promoted to socially condition us (which I don't believe is true). Let's on the other hand argue that there was little to no interest on tele in sports like darts and snooker (which globally had little coverage before Barry Hearn got involved), or indeed WWF in the UK before Murdoch got involved. Are they promoting these sports for the love of the games? Probably not. They make a lot of money from them.

Which is better?

Assuming that the BBC really is socially conditioning us, which would result in women's sport being enjoyed to the same extent as mens (which as I say, I don't think is true). Then surely creating a society that is more accepting is a bloody good thing? Rather than making Murdoch richer.

Further, one of the positives of London 2012 was the coverage of the Paralympics. The public loved it. Johnny Peacock and Oscar Pistorious (ok, the less said about his later behaviour, the better) both appeared on a number of adverts, where their disability was embraced and treated as equals. Indeed, Johnny Peacock appeared recently on Strictly Come Dancing. He did well from what I hear. When he went out, he thanked the public and the judges for scoring him as an equal, not because of his disability.

Would this have happened 10 or 20 years ago? I doubt it. A large part of that change is the promotion of Paralympic sport. It has taken time and has more to go but along with things like the Invictus games and tv shows like the last leg whose presenters have become mainstream comedians. Whether disability sport or any non men's pro level, elite sport is your thing or not, is besides the point. I don't particularly like many athletic events,and would be as unlikely to watch men's or women's Olympic or Paralympic. But, there is room for all of these sports and if people want to watch it, great.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

How does any sport become a popular on tv? I don't think it is to do with participation. Sure, football is certainly the most played sport but more women probably play rugby than men do participate in motor sport. More women probably play football than men do boxing. More women play badminton than probably men do rowing. I have probably played rounders more than any other sport in the last couple of years. In fact, it is probably one of the most popular sports in the country. However, I have never seen it on tele once.

The popularity of a sport or pseudo sport (e.g. WWE) or games like poker (which seems to be on tele more than women's rugby) is a lot to do with marketing and creating an audience. The only women's sports I can think of that get good coverage is tennis, and athletics.

Someone somewhere decided to market certain sports. e.g. Barry Hearne and his involvement in making snooker and darts popular on tele.

So, someone somewhere decides to promote a certain sport, create a market for it and make it more popular. Let's argue that you are right and that rugby is being promoted to socially condition us (which I don't believe is true). Let's on the other hand argue that there was little to no interest on tele in sports like darts and snooker (which globally had little coverage before Barry Hearn got involved), or indeed WWF in the UK before Murdoch got involved. Are they promoting these sports for the love of the games? Probably not. They make a lot of money from them.

Which is better?

Assuming that the BBC really is socially conditioning us, which would result in women's sport being enjoyed to the same extent as mens (which as I say, I don't think is true). Then surely creating a society that is more accepting is a bloody good thing? Rather than making Murdoch richer.

Further, one of the positives of London 2012 was the coverage of the Paralympics. The public loved it. Johnny Peacock and Oscar Pistorious (ok, the less said about his later behaviour, the better) both appeared on a number of adverts, where their disability was embraced and treated as equals. Indeed, Johnny Peacock appeared recently on Strictly Come Dancing. He did well from what I hear. When he went out, he thanked the public and the judges for scoring him as an equal, not because of his disability.

Would this have happened 10 or 20 years ago? I doubt it. A large part of that change is the promotion of Paralympic sport. It has taken time and has more to go but along with things like the Invictus games and tv shows like the last leg whose presenters have become mainstream comedians. Whether disability sport or any non men's pro level, elite sport is your thing or not, is besides the point. I don't particularly like many athletic events,and would be as unlikely to watch men's or women's Olympic or Paralympic. But, there is room for all of these sports and if people want to watch it, great.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Really depends on the standard of the play, i would as soon watch women's tennis as mens, in fact i find it more entertaining. Women's rugby was a bit of a joke, now it is much better. What makes or breaks it as a spectacle is the quality, i would not slag off flyweight boxing because a heavyweight could beat them easy.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Especially for the anti woman's rugby geezers :D :D

The Black Ferns were the big winners at the NZ Rugby Awards last night, repeating the success they had at the World Rugby Awards late last month. At last night's ceremony in Auckland, the New Zealand women's rugby team took out Team the Year, Coach of the Year and Fans Try of the Year - that last accolade going to the team's star winger, Portia Woodman. It's the first time the Black Ferns have won the New Zealand rugby Team of the Year prize. The team's former captain Farah Palmer - who's now on the Board of New Zealand Rugby, was at the ceremony and tells Guyon Espiner celebrations went into the early hours.

:cheers: :cheers: up against the best male rugby team in the world. All done with no funding, full time employment and tough training :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Put that in your pipe or any place that makes you happy

And just for some icing on the cake. Recently the ARU appointed a new CEO, A KIWI WOMAN :twisted: :twisted:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 pm
World XV Player

2 threads.

Wow, must be proud, girl.

:thumbup:

They're an excellent choice - and that's said sincerely.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:24 pm