It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 am

Women's rugby in Wales growing (unlike the men's game) 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Women's rugby in Wales growing (unlike the men's game)
http://www.dai-sport.com/16387-2/

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Women's rugby in Wales growing (unlike the men's game)
...and your theory is...?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 am
Mini Player

Isn't that broadly the case globally with Rugby?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:29 pm
World XV Player

Female rugby has stuff all to do with real rugby.

Sure they can play a game but it isn't our game.

This PC shyte is nonsense.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Is it though? On a practical level, having more girls playing rugby will bring in more money, more facilities, more coaches, more refs etc. Girls may encourage their brothers and vice versa. Female rugby is possibly the key to ensuring the game continues for men?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Is it though? On a practical level, having more girls playing rugby will bring in more money, more facilities, more coaches, more refs etc. Girls may encourage their brothers and vice versa. Female rugby is possibly the key to ensuring the game continues for men?

never thought of that: good point!

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Who cares, women are constantly trying to keep up with men, that goes for all walks of life, they even get pissed and misbehave to be like us, or better than us I should say. The BBC are really buying into all this, constant headlines on women's football, rugby, etc.
Far from giving the men's game a lift, it will probably take much needed resources away.

They want to be on the front line with the military now, let them have it I say, they could form a new regiment, The Queens Own Cannon Fodder, parachute them into all the worlds hot spots, they could nag the enemy to death.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
Who cares, women are constantly trying to keep up with men, that goes for all walks of life, they even get pissed and misbehave to be like us, or better than us I should say. The BBC are really buying into all this, constant headlines on women's football, rugby, etc.
Far from giving the men's game a lift, it will probably take much needed resources away.

They want to be on the front line with the military now, let them have it I say, they could form a new regiment, The Queens Own Cannon Fodder, parachute them into all the worlds hot spots, they could nag the enemy to death.

I would be surprised if women's rugby takes more than it gives from rugby clubs. It is the opposite I think. As one example, the more teams there are for a coach to test his or her skills at, the better. Rugby is is rugby and if you can turn a shit women's team into a good one with the same players, you probably know a thing or two about getting the best out of a team. Which is exactly the sort of person we want in the game.

Sure, given the physicality of rugby, it's unlikely that a woman is going to be able to compete against a man on the same basis. But arguing that women shouldn't play the game because of this is a bit like arguing that a shit player in the men's 3rd team shouldn't play because he contributes nothing to the first team or indeed, that a semi pro shouldn't play because he isn't international standard.

Women's sport or any sport doesn't need to be professional or world class to be worthwhile. We talk about improving grassroots of sport, in most regions, this includes women's sport which I believe is crucial for the mens game. And indeed important in it's own right.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

I would be surprised if women's rugby takes more than it gives from rugby clubs. It is the opposite I think. As one example, the more teams there are for a coach to test his or her skills at, the better. Rugby is is rugby and if you can turn a shit women's team into a good one with the same players, you probably know a thing or two about getting the best out of a team. Which is exactly the sort of person we want in the game.

Sure, given the physicality of rugby, it's unlikely that a woman is going to be able to compete against a man on the same basis. But arguing that women shouldn't play the game because of this is a bit like arguing that a shit player in the men's 3rd team shouldn't play because he contributes nothing to the first team or indeed, that a semi pro shouldn't play because he isn't international standard.

Women's sport or any sport doesn't need to be professional or world class to be worthwhile. We talk about improving grassroots of sport, in most regions, this includes women's sport which I believe is crucial for the mens game. And indeed important in it's own right.

I'm not saying they shouldn't play the game, but I am saying I'm not interested. Not sure why it makes headlines on BBC sports, mind you its very pc to push it, so I've answered my own question.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:55 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If you start from a ludicrously low base, even a numerically small increase in players looks a solid %ge increase.

And, our female sides always look solid.

:love4:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/reasons-more-women-playing-rugby-11096704

Worth a look at this piece from 2016 ...

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:01 am
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

I'm not saying they shouldn't play the game, but I am saying I'm not interested. Not sure why it makes headlines on BBC sports, mind you its very pc to push it, so I've answered my own question.

I appreciate what you are saying and my intention wasn't to force you to watch any sport, includong women's rugby, competitiveale surfing or ski jumping.

Like many, once I start watching a sport, I can often get into it once I understand the rules. The pushing of women's sport has every reason to be considered on the same level as men's. Bear in mind, cyclists like Liz Trott and Pendleton are possibly as famous as their male counterparts. Venus and Serena Williams maybe more famous than Andy Murray. I have found myself cheering on the GB womens team asuch as the mens. Sure, they may not be able to gain the strenth but the effort they put in is exactly the same as the men. And the actual contest is every bit as competitive. Re cycling, it has only become a popular spectator sport in the last few years, had the mens sport been a mainstream sport, there would be complaints about Trott and Pendleton getting air time.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Agree, absolutely not interested in women's rugby despite all the hype about it on the BBC et al.

Lets face it, not only is it PC but also cheap as chips to show - and that's the main reason they love it !!!!

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I used to like watching female tennis until they started grunting like pigs.

I realy don't see for why male and female sport should be the same.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:

Agree, absolutely not interested in women's rugby despite all the hype about it on the BBC et al.

Lets face it, not only is it PC but also cheap as chips to show - and that's the main reason they love it !!!!

Why is it pc though? I appreciate that fewer people are interested in watching it but then fewer people are interested in lots of sports than rugby, football or cricket. Look at the sports section of the BBC and you will see Archery, Badminton, Bowls, curling, handball, sailing and swimming... etc. All of which I would guess most people wouldn't think twice or at least be surprised if a report on these gives males and females an equal amount of air time. Surely not a case of being pc? If bowls suddenly becomes more popular than women's football, it would probably take its place. My guess is that women's football is not only popular but growing.

Similarly the discrimination based on physicality has been a key feature of sports such as boxing for years, with different weight classifications. I don't know enough about it to state weather a featherweight would be able to match a heavy weight (I strongly suspect the match would be unfair) but the champions of any weight seem to get equal air play. Both feather and heavy are doing the absolute best within the framework of the sort of competition they are in. Some may prefer to watch heavy weight than others - that's up to them but it doesn't mean that the story that unfolds from the competion needs to be any more or less exciting or rewarding to watch. Same with women v mens in pretty much any sport.

Whilst I admit that I don't watch a great deal of women's rugby (I've not had a great deal of exposure to it), I hardly feel that the women's game is somehow being marketed ahead of the mens game. On free to air, every week I can get at least two regional games plus Scrumv. This doesn't include international rugby. I admit that my only exposure to women's rugby is the brief highlights on Scrumv - which even if I was desparate to, is the only way to watch it I think.

As mentioned, whether women's rugby is your thing or not, it forms an integral part of the Welsh game and I strongly believe that the existance of a strong female team in a club is a huge key to getting both boys and girls playing. And the experience of female rugby players who, like their male counterparts will probably help out with other teams from under 10 upwards is crucial in a game lacking volunteers for everything from coaching to helping out at community events. I don't think this is what the BBC are doing by the way - I strongly suspect that women's sport, being cheaper is a growth market. But still, I welcome it, even if I don't watch a lot of it.

However, I have been on the edge of my seat watching almost any sport when it gets exciting. The fact that these are female athletes should surely make no difference?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:

Why is it pc though? I appreciate that fewer people are interested in watching it but then fewer people are interested in lots of sports than rugby, football or cricket. Look at the sports section of the BBC and you will see Archery, Badminton, Bowls, curling, handball, sailing and swimming... etc. All of which I would guess most people wouldn't think twice or at least be surprised if a report on these gives males and females an equal amount of air time. Surely not a case of being pc? If bowls suddenly becomes more popular than women's football, it would probably take its place. My guess is that women's football is not only popular but growing.

Similarly the discrimination based on physicality has been a key feature of sports such as boxing for years, with different weight classifications. I don't know enough about it to state weather a featherweight would be able to match a heavy weight (I strongly suspect the match would be unfair) but the champions of any weight seem to get equal air play. Both feather and heavy are doing the absolute best within the framework of the sort of competition they are in. Some may prefer to watch heavy weight than others - that's up to them but it doesn't mean that the story that unfolds from the competion needs to be any more or less exciting or rewarding to watch. Same with women v mens in pretty much any sport.

Whilst I admit that I don't watch a great deal of women's rugby (I've not had a great deal of exposure to it), I hardly feel that the women's game is somehow being marketed ahead of the mens game. On free to air, every week I can get at least two regional games plus Scrumv. This doesn't include international rugby. I admit that my only exposure to women's rugby is the brief highlights on Scrumv - which even if I was desparate to, is the only way to watch it I think.

As mentioned, whether women's rugby is your thing or not, it forms an integral part of the Welsh game and I strongly believe that the existance of a strong female team in a club is a huge key to getting both boys and girls playing. And the experience of female rugby players who, like their male counterparts will probably help out with other teams from under 10 upwards is crucial in a game lacking volunteers for everything from coaching to helping out at community events. I don't think this is what the BBC are doing by the way - I strongly suspect that women's sport, being cheaper is a growth market. But still, I welcome it, even if I don't watch a lot of it.

However, I have been on the edge of my seat watching almost any sport when it gets exciting. The fact that these are female athletes should surely make no difference?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail