It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Decreased interest in Welsh rugby and rugby in general? 
World XV Player

Post Decreased interest in Welsh rugby and rugby in general?
This Forum seems to me to have a marked less interest in terms of
rugby posts this 'Season', even match comments?

Do others get a similar impression?

Guys like Fids have openly expressed their discontent.

The level of Welsh Rugby, Scarlets apart, is disappointing.

I sense a similar trend in other Forums.

Others opinion ?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 am
Regional Junior Player

Post Re: Decreased interest in Welsh rugby and rugby in general?
Don't be over optimistic about the fortunes of the Scarlets !! There are signs of cracks appearing, which could leave them a mid table team by Christmas.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Too many Internationals.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 am
thread ruining clique

A lot of people lost interest a couple of years ago as a direct result of the mass bitchfest. The regions didn't exactly make themselves look good during that spell. The Scarlets have shown some ambition, and hats off to them. The Dragons are a new creation in its infancy. The other two are like dying, syphilitic old men; rotting and falling to pieces, yet still banging on about how everything used to be great, back in the day. If they think they are going to draw in new fans while in that condition, then they're even stupider than I gave them credit for.

The premiership is a mess. Below it, too many teams are fighting over the scraps.

The golden phase the international team went through has lost its luster.

It's not a pretty picture all round.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:15 am
World XV Player

Is it a widespread malaise or just another example of Welsh 'depression'?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:13 am
World XV Player

Can only really comment on Welsh rugby and the Welsh prem in particular, and fair play the wruin have Almost had their way and totally spoiled it , but a friend of mine watches the EPL (Exeter) and thinks it is getting stronger.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Living here I see a continued french interest in Club matches.

Indeed, there seems to be an increased swell of competition to the traditional 'elite'

Gates are consistent with some downturns eg Toulouse but some spectacular e.g Bdx >20k av.
TV seems to get increased stats and some trend toward increased free to air presence.

There is dismay about the International scene but some confidence in the increased attention given to it.

I can't guess what the acceptance would be of a broadened N Hemp geography.

The biggest problems are LNR and FFR infighting (already described in french section) and also the apparent bid from very rich backers, who are not sugar daddies, to takeover an increasing % of game and therefore governance.

The importance of contribution to the french economy is considerable and reported in the french section.

Footy profile trend is noticeable.

World Rugby influence against the franglais club governance groundswell is not strong.

On a personal front I usually still participate on here in Welsh Region games and I do watch games refularly but I admit a more depressive focus. As an Osps supporter their demise is very disappointing.

I am undecided on the root problem between Union and Region but ultimately it must be the independent Region accountability. I am increasingly worried that Welsh 'Club' Rugby has a limited future at the top table An increased Euro/SA spectrum and maybe Conferences could drive it down further without the current lesser priority qualification?

I rarely watch Aviva games now, but I used to.

I have the ability to watch all leagues but admit, understandably(?), my prime focus is now on french games and, of course, Europe.

I am not surprised about the apparent diminishing interest on here but I am fearful of Welsh Rugby futures.

I think also that the Brew example is relevant, incident of serious will lead to more established Internationals seeking other climes earlier than expected and also more likely to forego International selection?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 pm
World XV Player

:oops: :oops: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Senior moment..

I think also that the Brew example is relevant

of course ...

I think also that the Webb example is relevant

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Too many Internationals.

Yes, the AI's should go

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:02 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
Too many Internationals.

Yes, the AI's should go

I don't just mean Wales David, an International Test used to be something to savour as they were few and far between so club rugby was the only way to get a "fix" for us egg chasers, but nowadays it seems that hardly a weekend goes by where there isn't some kind of International game on, hence the club "fix" is no longer required.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm
World XV Player

From afar, when I go home I see rugby as very much the distant second winter sport behind soccer.

The infighting between the WRU and the regions has had its effect. Also, with so much entertainment available from either hand held devices and other forms, rugby no longer has any right of passage, and if the product is poor, decline in support is inevitable.

To attend either Landore or PYS, it is not easy, poor parking, poor services in ground, the match day experience isn't the best. If the game is of poor quality also, then only the very committed return.

Co partnership between private sector (clubs) and "public sector" (Union), is always tricky, and with the Welsh unique brand of negativity thrown in, needs a lot of work.

I think it would be interesting to see the age breakdown of season ticket holders for the regions, as I don't think the club game is attracting a lot of young people.

The Scarlets probably have the best setup, and the Blues the worst ownership group. I also believe the national team has run its course of success under the current group which has under achieved under Warren Gatland recently.

It could be a hard 3-5 years at this rate.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
Too many Internationals.

Yes, the AI's should go

I don't just mean Wales David, an International Test used to be something to savour as they were few and far between so club rugby was the only way to get a "fix" for us egg chasers, but nowadays it seems that hardly a weekend goes by where there isn't some kind of International game on, hence the club "fix" is no longer required.

and a lot subsidises the S Hemp teams.

We pay to visit the abattoir regularly and fuel their funds to maintain their superiority.

Only joking mun, honest! :D

...but there is a degree of funding aspect, this year NZ will benefit hugely from a Lions visit and whilst the Lions games are hugely popular the timetable is ridiculous and close Season impact on players significant?

The net botttom benefits are also out of proportion.

Extra AI's a further example, also close Season Tours.

Time for a cut in those schedules?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:26 pm
World XV Player

OK, cut the Internationals, that cuts even more support from the game and cuts funding top to bottom.

"Regional" supporters are the minority when it comes to people who follow rugby in Wales but they see to think its their right to dictate to the rest because their ticket cost more. Their choice, the same as the choice made by the majority not to waste their money on some one elses side.

Cheating has always been part of the game (the best bit for some of us) but now because the rules are either too fuzzy or too difficult to actually referee the game has gone mental to push the rules to breaking point as the first option, the game plan if you like. Best example of that was the 20 minute scum in Paris last 6N, absolur farce

Its just not worth it any more. Wasted effort.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
Too many Internationals.

Yes, the AI's should go

Understood...I also struggle with the length of the season...rugby should not be a 10 to 12 month sport. I believe that the we have too many games which is reducing quality, even before we address player welfare.

The NFL players play a 16 games season and up to 4 play off games, and rest for 5-6 months a year.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 pm
World XV Player

Its take it or leave it for most people. Pretty much all the blame has to lie with the WRU.

They seem hell bent and investing massive resources on rendering all levels of rugby below the professional uncompetitive, disjointed and uninteresting. This neatly affects most of the fans who go to games most weeks, take their kids along and so on. There's no concept of competition, reward for winning, negative effects for losing, no chance of progress, nothing. This years premier league is even more of a joke than ever (and the bar was already really, really low).

Having killed that level they now force through 4 sides that don't represent anywhere except tiny areas of wales and have them performing terribly and at times a laughing stock. So even the fans that live in those small areas get disillusioned by the WRUs chosen golden boy sides and don't turn up.

Then you have internationals where if you want to actually go to a game its ludicrously expensive and/or impossible to get a ticket to actually see them play anyone good.

Its almost a text book exercise in how to destroy a business from the bottom up.

I know of many people that used to attend every international home and away possible, a club game every weekend home and away, volunteer at clubs and youth programmes etc who simply can't be arsed any more as the overall view is its pointless and uninteresting.

Yes you can blame the clubs and owners for providing dire rugby, especially at the top level but ultimately the blame has to fall with the union who have destructive policies AND are content to accept the underperforming, poor value clubs without sanction.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:02 pm
Profile WWW