It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
New season 
World XV Player

Post Re: New season
Scarletrover wrote:
You're both assuming that profit is the ultimate aim of the Financial Directors at the Regions (and of course clubs worldwide).
I would argue strongly that such is not the case in many instances and particularly so at the Scarlets, where I am reasonably well informed regarding the circumstances.
I agree that limiting losses as far as possible would be an aim, but attaining a profit is not necessarily the point of the excercise.

No, I want to be sure of liquidity and a going concern, without which failure beckons.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm
thread ruining clique

I would think anybody putting money into Welsh rugby and expecting to make a profit should go see a psychiatrist. Or at least a financial adviser.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm
World XV Player

Scarletrover wrote:
You're both assuming that profit is the ultimate aim of the Financial Directors at the Regions (and of course clubs worldwide).
I would argue strongly that such is not the case in many instances and particularly so at the Scarlets, where I am reasonably well informed regarding the circumstances.
I agree that limiting losses as far as possible would be an aim, but attaining a profit is not necessarily the point of the excercise.

That is an interesting point and feel sport in general is not a purely commercial excerise.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

There are other aspects than cash. The idea of sitting in the stand with the crowd chanting your name, even though you were shit at sport as a child, must always be factored in.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:29 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Scarletrover wrote:

No, I want to be sure of liquidity and a going concern, without which failure beckons.

That is so out of touch with modern pro sports..I have banked several NBA and MLB teams and talked to owners...
This Dickensian attitude went out 25 years ago.

As long as there are no secured creditors, it does not make much difference what the financials look like and how liquidity is there as long as the Directors/Owners are there writing checks.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
There are other aspects than cash. The idea of sitting in the stand with the crowd chanting your name, even though you were shit at sport as a child, must always be factored in.

Plus having millionaire players rub shoulders with you ;)

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Scarletrover wrote:

That is so out of touch with modern pro sports..I have banked several NBA and MLB teams and talked to owners...

As long as there are no secured creditors, it does not make much difference what the financials look like and how liquidity is there as long as the Directors/Owners are there writing checks.

My comment related specifically to Scarlets.

You should know that I am generally talking about entrepreneurial investment in rugby and NOT sugar daddies.
I have detailed specific examples where the immediate bottom line performance of the rugby aspect dwarfs the
overall benefit both business and profit overall.

I have cited specific examples of Racing, Montpelier, Stade Francais, Bordeaux, Saracens where this is the case and with detailed examples ..I have also detailed failures where those not realising the modern concept of Pro Sport can quickly begin to fail cue Toulouse.

I resent the comment insinuating I have a Dickensian attitude and experience.

Incidentally there are currently clubs throughout the leagues that have gone and are going to the wall by ignoring so called 'Dickensian' aspects of simple accounting and basic audit. Note your comment 'As long as there are Directors ets paying the checks ... ;) Hmmm..

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^
what those guys said

:bom: :alien: :bom:

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Scarletrover wrote:

You should know that I am generally talking about entrepreneurial investment in rugby and NOT sugar daddies.
I have detailed specific examples where the immediate bottom line performance of the rugby aspect dwarfs the

I have cited specific examples of Racing, Montpelier, Stade Francais, Bordeaux, Saracens where this is the case and with detailed examples ..I have also detailed failures where those not realising the modern concept of Pro Sport can quickly begin to fail cue Toulouse.

Incidentally there are currently clubs throughout the leagues that have gone and are going to the wall by ignoring so called 'Dickensian' aspects of simple accounting and basic audit. Note your comment 'As long as there are Directors ets paying the checks ... ;) Hmmm..

++

Having thought further on the above .... it should be remembered that we are talking about rugby and it's infancy as a Pro Sport.

David when you are talking about some US Pro Sports that's a different league, we might also discuss footy where PSG has just paid £200m for a player, not really about the player of the club per se ... more about the Qatari ownership and their intent and prime objective to propagate their country's position in Sport and in the World. Qatar also have one of the worlds finest handball teams with 'recruited' players! ....

Comparing apples, oranges and pears achieves very little when such different dimensions are mentioned.
Pro Rugby is bread and butter at the mo but moving swiftly and I for one hope that the footy pathway is not followed but it probably will be, some entrepreneurs already in the business?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:33 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Scarletrover wrote:

++

Having thought further on the above .... it should be remembered that we are talking about rugby and it's infancy as a Pro Sport.

David when you are talking about some US Pro Sports that's a different league, we might also discuss footy where PSG has just paid £200m for a player, not really about the player of the club per se ... more about the Qatari ownership and their intent and prime objective to propagate their country's position in Sport and in the World. Qatar also have one of the worlds finest handball teams with 'recruited' players! ....

Comparing apples, oranges and pears achieves very little when such different dimensions are mentioned.
Pro Rugby is bread and butter at the mo but moving swiftly and I for one hope that the footy pathway is not followed but it probably will be, some entrepreneurs already in the business?

What alternative evolution exists to the "footy pathway", it somethign we should be fighting against, but im not sure what we should be fighting for :?:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
[
a

What alternative evolution exists to the "footy pathway", it somethign we should be fighting against, but im not sure what we should be fighting for :?:

Good Q BS!

A key aspect is for countries to preserve strict rules on foreign imports

World Rugby have to recognise and participate with the the burgeoning Club initiatives probably in the Conference set up direction.

Confrontation is ill advised, cue recent set to's

The obvious danger is the franglais and if SA form an affinity that's even more dangerous. FFR seem to be trying to wrestle back control from clubs, RFU seem comfortable with relations, SA have conflicts and ultimately busness advantage will be the decider.

S Hemp and especially NZ should position themselves early in current N Hemp 'Internstional underlay' initiatives and not rest on self sufficiency. The S Hemp overall position is weak in terms of their harmony and again SA is key to that.

I fear that it is already too late, animosity exists between Union and 'Clubb' and World Rugby lethargy in resolving and promoting w/wide timetable was a big mistake.

The big backers are already in and the 'transfer market' is already hot. and the likes of EPCR are already in the van.

Media are drivers and they'll go with the easier route to the expansion of the game....curently below international level.

It's now a case of limitation

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:02 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
[
a

Good Q BS!

A key aspect is for countries to preserve strict rules on foreign imports

World Rugby have to recognise and participate with the the burgeoning Club initiatives probably in the Conference set up direction.

Confrontation is ill advised, cue recent set to's

The obvious danger is the franglais and if SA form an affinity that's even more dangerous. FFR seem to be trying to wrestle back control from clubs, RFU seem comfortable with relations, SA have conflicts and ultimately busness advantage will be the decider.

S Hemp and especially NZ should position themselves early in current N Hemp 'Internstional underlay' initiatives and not rest on self sufficiency. The S Hemp overall position is weak in terms of their harmony and again SA is key to that.

I fear that it is already too late, animosity exists between Union and 'Clubb' and World Rugby lethargy in resolving and promoting w/wide timetable was a big mistake.

The big backers are already in and the 'transfer market' is already hot. and the likes of EPCR are already in the van.

Media are drivers and they'll go with the easier route to the expansion of the game....curently below international level.

It's now a case of limitation

:( :thumbup:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think not knowing where things are going is the key issue.

It can be a case of be careful what you wish for as latest fans surveys suggest footy premiership clubs feel have priced out the ordinary punter and more interested in building g a global brand than looking after local supporters. The premiership footy deal is very lucrative but clubs still go to the wall because of inflationary pressures and overspending

There is more than one model in footy as well with the Germans going heavily down down fan investment and in Spain they have this model where two clubs dominate the tv funds

So it needs to be better thought out in my opinion

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
I think not knowing where things are going is the key issue.

It can be a case of be careful what you wish for as latest fans surveys suggest footy premiership clubs feel have priced out the ordinary punter and more interested in building g a global brand than looking after local supporters. The premiership footy deal is very lucrative but clubs still go to the wall because of inflationary pressures and overspending

There is more than one model in footy as well with the Germans going heavily down down fan investment and in Spain they have this model where two clubs dominate the tv funds

So it needs to be better thought out in my opinion

The bleeding obvious that prices are too exorbitant has been evident for over two decades now. Dressing that simple truth up in pseudo intellectual crap changes nothing and advises no one.

This crass misunderstanding of the football model should not be allowed to infect Rugby's reality.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:14 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
[

The bleeding obvious that prices are too exorbitant has been evident for over two decades now. Dressing that simple truth up in pseudo intellectual crap changes nothing and advises no one.

This crass misunderstanding of the football model should not be allowed to infect Rugby's reality.

Ok clever clogs, who is going to do it and what version thereof and how?

N Hemp Rugby is certainly looking like being on that path? or maybe you think not?

Wishful thinking is meaningless

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next