It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Dragons in threesome with two Hookers 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 60013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
The pro game is not sustainable as is. The Scarlets could get to a Champions Cup semi this year and it would would not move the meter muach on attendance. Ultimately, we need a British and Irish League and probably one competition for clubs.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11306
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Old Second Row wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
The way dragons spoken about in this thread is in the context of the national side and developing players

This is the wrong way forward... gwent has a fine rugby tradition and should be represented regionally with a community focussed, not commercially focussed, organisation. Fact it's in Newport is a kick in the teeth though

The wru has a responsibility to the game in Wales, not just the national side.


But now, like it or like it not, ...3 Regions are Independent businesses, the other is under the auspices of the WRU.

There may be a conflict in interest ... at least it's a tenuous relationship e.g as mentioned above ..EPCR governance gives the PRW 1 vote and the WRU 1 too. What's the position of PRW now with only 3 Regions under their governance?

Anyway, the initial conception of Regions was ill founded and exacted under rancour.

The Dragons position is currently, at least, out on a limb.

and, again as mentioned earlier in the stream, ....what has become of Thomas's proposal that WRU babysit Cardiff rugby whilst the estate development is formalised?


But may soon become part of a trend?
How long will Thomas be willing to keep putting in a reputed £1 million or so every year into Cardiff?
And for how long can the Scarlets continue to fund their £1 - £1.5 million Loss every year? That's a-lot of cash to find just once in a small place like Llanelli, but every year?


Ok, but who can say that the WRU umbrella will make the bottom line any better?

If you are arguing that when the WRU have increased control they are more free to do what they want with them and sensibly reform ... how long will that take and what will the competition be doing in the interim??

Change we need but I don't think that we have the time frame to achieve it and the competition are better set up to take advantage of it?

Hmmm Rock and a hard place.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11306
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Langland Exile wrote:
The pro game is not sustainable as is. The Scarlets could get to a Champions Cup semi this year and it would would not move the meter muach on attendance. Ultimately, we need a British and Irish League and probably one competition for clubs.


see above response ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^to a similar vein.

PS attendance is but an indicator and should be disregarded as a major vinfluence although it's catalytic potential effect could be important.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm
Posts: 5970
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
The Pro game is eminently sustainable, what is not is the attitude of the players within it playing for The Celtic Nations, Wales in particular.

It is about time that folks addressed the singular fact that 'Form' is non existent in Wales. Win one week loose the next 3 but still get pissed on celebrating 'the win that counts'.

Folk's can mess all they like with the structure of the game but nothing will improve until the collective mind set that says loss is 'acceptable' is changed.


Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 60013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
The pro game is not sustainable as is. The Scarlets could get to a Champions Cup semi this year and it would would not move the meter muach on attendance. Ultimately, we need a British and Irish League and probably one competition for clubs.


see above response ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^to a similar vein.

PS attendance is but an indicator and should be disregarded as a major vinfluence although it's catalytic potential effect could be important.


Perhaps it is more that Everything is connected to Everything else?

For example, if the Scarlets' Pro 12 attendance went from say, 6,500 to 8,500 per game, the atmosphere would better, ground sales would go up, and the brand gets wider distribution. They really need nearer 10,500 to make the ground look full, but one thing I do notice from watching the Aviva games is that the grounds do appear to be pretty full, at least for the grounds with less than 20,000 capacity.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11306
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
The pro game is not sustainable as is. The Scarlets could get to a Champions Cup semi this year and it would would not move the meter muach on attendance. Ultimately, we need a British and Irish League and probably one competition for clubs.


see above response ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^to a similar vein.

PS attendance is but an indicator and should be disregarded as a major vinfluence although it's catalytic potential effect could be important.


Perhaps it is more that Everything is connected to Everything else?

For example, if the Scarlets' Pro 12 attendance went from say, 6,500 to 8,500 per game, the atmosphere would better, ground sales would go up, and the brand gets wider distribution. They really need nearer 10,500 to make the ground look full, but one thing I do notice from watching the Aviva games is that the grounds do appear to be pretty full, at least for the grounds with less than 20,000 capacity.


That is what what I'm talkng about, sponsors like good suuport and it interests investors if the current status and oulook is progressive.
Success in Europe attracts a wider audience and potential, cue Altrad's interest in Gloucs... not that successful at the mo but a hotbed of S W rugby and a good following etc. PRL stymied that one, Would PRW do the same thing?

Scarlets have the potential .... the fans need to show it, a 500 extra S Tic sales doesn't impress.

They need to do more this upcoming Season and confirm their potential and their fans need to show it too. If they can't then the Ospreys/Scarlets neighbourliness will stick out like a. sore thumb.

It's certainly not 'everything connected to everything else' it's somewhat more logical and businesslike than that?

Hang on...maybe that's the problem ;)

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:52 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
The way dragons spoken about in this thread is in the context of the national side and developing players

This is the wrong way forward... gwent has a fine rugby tradition and should be represented regionally with a community focussed, not commercially focussed, organisation. Fact it's in Newport is a kick in the teeth though

The wru has a responsibility to the game in Wales, not just the national side.


But surely as one of the four main teams, they should in theory be playing around 1/4 of the best Welsh players.



As a player, i should have the right to sign for a team that meets my needs and aspirations. If i was sought after by a number of clubs, why would i consider signing for them?


Quite. You wouldn't. I think we are arguing the same point here. I used the word 'theory' to make a sarcastic comment. Sorry if my post is ambiguous.

What I mean is, The Dragons really should be producing a number of the best players in Wales, simply as they are one of only four top teams. Whether they were set up specifically to support the Welsh team or not is academic as this should happen anyway as a function of their elite status. If they aren't producing the best players and aren't providing a supporting role for Wales and are only Newport RFC with a different name, and aren't a development team and aren't attracting the fans... you have to wonder what they are doing wrong and sort it out. Or get rid of the thr region.


Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 44433
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Have a look at the squads below senior level, CAB.

Plenty of Gwent lads on show.


Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Bouch wrote:
Have a look at the squads below senior level, CAB.

Plenty of Gwent lads on show.


Yeah but how many end up as internationals?


Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:14 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 44433
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Cymru am byth wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Have a look at the squads below senior level, CAB.

Plenty of Gwent lads on show.


Yeah but how many end up as internationals?


Full international players seem to arrive okay from time to time and the U-20s team isn't very bad. Some will surely make it up a notch or two.


Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:07 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7358
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
Bouch wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Have a look at the squads below senior level, CAB.

Plenty of Gwent lads on show.


Yeah but how many end up as internationals?


Full international players seem to arrive okay from time to time and the U-20s team isn't very bad. Some will surely make it up a notch or two.


My point is that whilst the Dragons seem to do ok at U20, they are then underrepresented at senior level.


Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:16 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:33 am
Posts: 1617
Post Re: Dragons in threesome with two Hookers
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
The Pro game is eminently sustainable, what is not is the attitude of the players within it playing for The Celtic Nations, Wales in particular.

It is about time that folks addressed the singular fact that 'Form' is non existent in Wales. Win one week loose the next 3 but still get pissed on celebrating 'the win that counts'.

Folk's can mess all they like with the structure of the game but nothing will improve until the collective mind set that says loss is 'acceptable' is changed.


Dragons have been like that for years, a good win here and there, but then either abject or meh inbetween. The team being changed seemingly at random however we played. If we had a gameplan it never seemed to be coherently put together on the pitch.


Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:43 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: