It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Biggar Off? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Biggar Off?
Langland Exile wrote:
The Scarlets Directors have continued to write checks and the results are showing.

Ahem...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-13361819

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
The Scarlets Directors have continued to write checks and the results are showing.

Ahem...

Read the financials...not the gutter press... ;)

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Ahem...

Read the financials...not the gutter press... ;)

Duw mun, that was 'ard like :D

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

x_ile wrote:
Is Northampton an entirely sensible destination though?

For whatever reason, my perception is that North has taken huge strides backwards since his move to Saints. Maybe injuries pure and simple, maybe poor management of multiple concussions, maybe poor coaching, but the fact remains that North seems to be nowhere near the player he was prior to his transfer.

I'd be concerned that Biggar may be condemned to a similar fate.

I remains to be seen how Williams fares at Saracens.

Northampton five or six years ago was a good move for any player, but now I agree that it's potentially a bit of a risk.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TJP wrote:
x_ile wrote:

For whatever reason, my perception is that North has taken huge strides backwards since his move to Saints. Maybe injuries pure and simple, maybe poor management of multiple concussions, maybe poor coaching, but the fact remains that North seems to be nowhere near the player he was prior to his transfer.

Northampton five or six years ago was a good move for any player, but now I agree that it's potentially a bit of a risk.

Less of a risk than staying, better contract and better team. :dontknow:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
TJP wrote:
x_ile wrote:

..and he can get attitude lessons from Dylan Hartley ;) :D

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Blindside wrote:
TJP wrote:
x_ile wrote:

Ah yes, the Northampton team that got beaten by Leinster 60-14 (their home result against them wasn't much better either) and only just about scraped into the Champions Cup through winning a play-off against a worn-out Stade Francais side. Hmm...

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

How did the Ospreys get on in the Champions Cup last year?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
This is a good example of perhaps why central contracts (NDCs are a half-way house, a cop out) should be introduced. Just as the IRFU have done, the WRU should relieve the regions from paying for their key players and thus retain them in the country. And just LOL at Langland Exile (who I am sure has criticised Biggar plenty of times himself, even if now he claims he is a great player) for his usual blind hatred of Welsh rugby. Do you think the Kiwi public would have tolerated the idea of Dan Carter in his prime playing outside New Zealand, or the English public would have tolerated Jonny Wilkinson playing outside England during his prime? (Langland Exile dismisses the Ospreys as being crap, so what does he make of Newcastle Falcons? Wilkinson's presence there was probably the one thing that kept them from being relegated!)

I don't see how central contracts would stop moves like this though as players would still be able to move once their current central contract expired. I suppose you would have to go down the route of central contract plus a more robust enforcement of 'Gatland's Law' to try and ensure it didn't happen.

I'm not sure the Irish comparison is a good example because of other factors involved in the Irish system that don't apply to Wales (tax breaks etc.).

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
This is a good example of perhaps why central contracts (NDCs are a half-way house, a cop out) should be introduced. Just as the IRFU have done, the WRU should relieve the regions from paying for their key players and thus retain them in the country. And just LOL at Langland Exile (who I am sure has criticised Biggar plenty of times himself, even if now he claims he is a great player) for his usual blind hatred of Welsh rugby. Do you think the Kiwi public would have tolerated the idea of Dan Carter in his prime playing outside New Zealand, or the English public would have tolerated Jonny Wilkinson playing outside England during his prime? (Langland Exile dismisses the Ospreys as being crap, so what does he make of Newcastle Falcons? Wilkinson's presence there was probably the one thing that kept them from being relegated!)

I don't see how central contracts would stop moves like this though as players would still be able to move once their current central contract expired. I suppose you would have to go down the route of central contract plus a more robust enforcement of 'Gatland's Law' to try and ensure it didn't happen.

I'm not sure the Irish comparison is a good example because of other factors involved in the Irish system that don't apply to Wales (tax breaks etc.).

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

spinbreath wrote:

They weren't in it for the first time due to their RWC-disrupted Pro 12 campaign. All the same, they were the first team in the history of either European competition to get a perfect 30 points out of 30 in the pool stage. Furthermore, the previous year when they were in the Champions Cup, they were actually the Pro 12 team which came closest to making it to the QFs, only for Exeter to thrash them in their final pool match. (Still, the 33-17 reverse was small beer compared to the defeats that Leinster, Munster and the Scarlets were receiving during that campaign).

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

They weren't in it for the first time due to their RWC-disrupted Pro 12 campaign. All the same, they were the first team in the history of either European competition to get a perfect 30 points out of 30 in the pool stage. Furthermore, the previous year when they were in the Champions Cup, they were actually the Pro 12 team which came closest to making it to the QFs, only for Exeter to thrash them in their final pool match. (Still, the 33-17 reverse was small beer compared to the defeats that Leinster, Munster and the Scarlets were receiving during that campaign).

Yes, the same organization that could not get beyond the QF of the Heineken Cup despite have the core of the Welsh team plus Marshall and Collins. Pretty sad and going downhill....

Relied too much on Shane, not enough on team fundamentals.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

"
Yes, the same organization that could not get beyond the QF of the Heineken Cup despite have the core of the Welsh team plus Marshall and Collins. Pretty sad and going downhill....

Relied too much on Shane, not enough on team fundamentals.

Yet Hore began spouting nonsense about the "Osprey way" and culture etc Dont you just love an organization who has titles for people like "Elite Performance Director". :D What the *fupp* is that about! The Ospreys have over their History been decidedly average taking into the resources thrown at them at one stage, the words elite performance are laughable. The Underperformance Director must have been doing a fantastic job :D Culture comes from doing not spouting shit.

The Ospreys, attempted to tell people in their catchment that they should support them, yet give them next to nothing worth supporting in terms of their performance, or community involvement. They have a profound vanity about them, but they seldom look closely in the mirror. :D

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

So much for the One True Region.. ;)

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 pm
World XV Player

Ospreys were called 'Galacticos' once upon a time, they have never however gotten out of their own Solar Plexis.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail