It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Biggar Off? 
World XV Player

Post Biggar Off?
Dan Biggar looks set to agree a deal that would see him leave Welsh rugby at the end of the coming season.

The 27-year-old scorer of a mountainous 2,052 points for the Ospreys is under a national dual contract that runs until next May.

There is an option to stay at the Liberty Stadium through to the end of the 2018-19 campaign, but Biggar looks increasingly likely to reject it and instead commit to Northampton Saints.

The Wales fly-half’s value has shot up after a Lions tour that saw him impress in virtually every game he played. Biggar didn’t actually make the Test side but there were some who hailed him as the best-performing No. 10 on the trip to New Zealand.

Northampton have been monitoring his position for some time and are said to be willing to back up their interest with an offer that the former Swansea RFC fly-half will prove unable to refuse.

Biggar has been linked with big-money moves away before, but he signed a three-year arrangement with the Ospreys in 2013 and committed to a national dual contract in 2015, jointly funded by the Welsh Rugby Union and the region.

Later that year he became the first player to re-sign a dual packgage.

While some would argue that his leaving the regional scene wouldn’t be ideal for Wales barely a year out from a World Cup, others would contend that after close on a decade of unstinting service for the Ospreys he has more than earned the right to sample something different.

The former PRO12 champions also have other quality fly-half options in Sam Davies, who started two Tests for Wales this summer, and James Hook, who has returned to the region after stints with Perpignan and Gloucester, while Luke Price recently signed his first professional deal with the region.

Sources in the east Midlands say the deal being spoken about is one the WRU and the Ospreys would stand little hope of matching.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... h-13365297

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:57 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Biggar Off?
It's funny how just a few years back he was so criticised here it was ridiculous ... and now is the bee's knee' .. but that's the way of things here, as being Welsh, it is bound to be.

Good luck to him 'he has done his bit' ...

... it'll be the usual scrambling and slandering as our next emerges from the bubbling and fermenting cauldron that is Welsh Rugby.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

good luck to him, solid player,
for the spreys though may give price more of a chance to develop with davies first choice

Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Whatever he decides....hopefully it's positive.
He deserves it.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:22 am
World XV Player

Good player but do feel the ospreys had to make a choice between Davies or biggar going forward. And looks like dan has made that decision for them

Played well on the lions tour but clear gatland and howley don't trust him as an elite level OH. Priestland, sexton and Farrell all picked when out of form

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good luck to him if true, and if so, I would leave now.

Very good player and on field general, and will do well in a better coaching and tactical environment which the Saints will offer compared to the Ospreys and Wales.

Sam Davies is not in the same league as Biggar when the pressure is really on.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:24 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

Very good player and on field general, and will do well in a better coaching and tactical environment which the Saints will offer compared to the Ospreys and Wales.

Sam Davies is not in the same league as Biggar, at the moment, when the pressure is really on.

corrected for you ;)

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Sam Davies is not in the same league as Biggar, at the moment, when the pressure is really on.

corrected for you ;)

Time will tell..I am a seller not a buyer on Davies....O's should agree an early transfer and get some cash

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:29 am
Site Admin

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Sam Davies is not in the same league as Biggar, and never will be, when the pressure is really on.

corrected for you ;)

Corrected for you Tel.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Is Northampton an entirely sensible destination though?

For whatever reason, my perception is that North has taken huge strides backwards since his move to Saints. Maybe injuries pure and simple, maybe poor management of multiple concussions, maybe poor coaching, but the fact remains that North seems to be nowhere near the player he was prior to his transfer.

I'd be concerned that Biggar may be condemned to a similar fate.

I remains to be seen how Williams fares at Saracens.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

x_ile wrote:
Is Northampton an entirely sensible destination though?

For whatever reason, my perception is that North has taken huge strides backwards since his move to Saints. Maybe injuries pure and simple, maybe poor management of multiple concussions, maybe poor coaching, but the fact remains that North seems to be nowhere near the player he was prior to his transfer.

I'd be concerned that Biggar may be condemned to a similar fate.

I remains to be seen how Williams fares at Saracens.

Life maybe tougher outside the goldfish pool? ;) Only the best thrive, better to try and fail than not try at all?
Biggar seems pretty smart and eloquent, I think he'll make it.

It could also be the O's have told him Sam is "our guy" also, on the assumption the Ospreys' organization is capable of making decisions that is. ;)

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 am
World XV Player

I saw this heading on my phone and could have sworn it said BUGGER OFF

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:37 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Very good player and on field general, but I doubt will do well better with the Saints compared to the Ospreys and Wales, given how inconsistent and mediocre George North has been since joining them and the fact they are very much a mid-table Aviva Premiership side nowadays that only scraped their way into the latest Champions Cup by beating a worn-out Stade Francais team.

corrected ;)

Corrected again. ;)

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

This is a good example of perhaps why central contracts (NDCs are a half-way house, a cop out) should be introduced. Just as the IRFU have done, the WRU should relieve the regions from paying for their key players and thus retain them in the country. And just LOL at Langland Exile (who I am sure has criticised Biggar plenty of times himself, even if now he claims he is a great player) for his usual blind hatred of Welsh rugby. Do you think the Kiwi public would have tolerated the idea of Dan Carter in his prime playing outside New Zealand, or the English public would have tolerated Jonny Wilkinson playing outside England during his prime? (Langland Exile dismisses the Ospreys as being crap, so what does he make of Newcastle Falcons? Wilkinson's presence there was probably the one thing that kept them from being relegated!)

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
This is a good example of perhaps why central contracts (NDCs are a half-way house, a cop out) should be introduced. Just as the IRFU have done, the WRU should relieve the regions from paying for their key players and thus retain them in the country. And just LOL at Langland Exile (who I am sure has criticised Biggar plenty of times himself, even if now he claims he is a great player) for his usual blind hatred of Welsh rugby. Do you think the Kiwi public would have tolerated the idea of Dan Carter in his prime playing outside New Zealand, or the English public would have tolerated Jonny Wilkinson playing outside England during his prime? (Langland Exile dismisses the Ospreys as being crap, so what does he make of Newcastle Falcons? Wilkinson's presence there was probably the one thing that kept them from being relegated!)

Biggar is a very good player but stands too deep for Wales, and is the major reason why Wales' back line doesn't function. When allowed to play flat he is better and the backline works better. He lacks true speed but is a very smart player.

The Ospreys have become a very poor organization over the last 3-4 years as the owners have not invested into the business and the results show it. The Scarlets Directors have continued to write checks and the results are showing.

The rest of the post isn't worthy of response.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:21 pm