It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm

big Coaching changes in Wales. 
Site Admin

Post big Coaching changes in Wales.
Community coaches to receive more age-specific support in new coach development landscape
Welsh Rugby has adapted the landscape of community coach development in Wales to meet the changing needs of grassroots coaches and players.

The Welsh Rugby Union recently undertook a comprehensive series of workshops for community coaches of every level and the results of the consultation process have formed the basis of the new approach to grassroots coaching in Wales.

The new system prioritises the holistic development of the coach and enables them to access continued support, resource and qualifications throughout his or her coaching career, whether he or she remains in junior club coaching, moves on to male or female senior coaching at grassroots level, pursues opportunities within the performance end of the game or a mixture of the above.

Rather than a pyramid-type coach development system with Tag and Children’s Level 1 at the bottom and Level 4 at the top, the recent consultation process, along with research and collaboration with other governing bodies and organisations have helped the WRU design a new system which places the coach at the centre and recognises the various ways and entry points individuals may get into coaching. It allows for more regular workshops and assistance (CPD) outside the formal coach courses to enable coaches to become more skilled and supported at their chosen level of coaching, which will in turn help them to develop better players.

The coaching courses have also been changed, principally introducing a new ‘Coaching Early Contact’ course for under 9s to under 11s which recognises the need for additional support, especially around the important area of safety within the game, at a crucial time for players as tackling and other elements of the rugby are introduced and developed.

Community coach development manager Gerry Roberts said: “Grassroots club coaches form the vast majority of our active coaches in Wales and we believe this new approach to coach development will not only support them in their journey as coaches but in doing so will improve how we develop our players in Wales.”

WRU Head of Rugby Participation Ryan Jones added: “Players’ enjoyment of our sport is largely dictated by the one-on-one involvement they have with their coach – a fun, safe and inspiring environment gives them all a positive rugby experience. The changes being implemented are all with Welsh Rugby’s purpose at front of mind – more people, more often, with more enjoyment and more success.”

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: big Coaching changes in Wales.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems positive and additional caring approach for the youngest?

Your view Chris?

Is this a positive reaction from the Union?

You have been critical in general to the comparative neglect of Junior rugby and you have reported (together with e.g Blindide) the demise in terms of #s, teams etc ...

This looks just a small step in the right direction?

Your view of the Welsh Junior Rugby critical grouping wouldbe apprecited from someone far removed from that detail although more aware of the other aspect in other Unions.

Ta in advance

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 am
World XV Player

Hope it is something more than a different job for the same old boys, but Ryan seems to be a good leader.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am
British & Irish Lions Player

There's a new 2nd xv national conference starting next season with 3 conferences of 4 teams, West, Central and East, games home and away with play-offs to determine the winner Not sure about the East and West but the Central is made up off Bargoed, Tondu, Rhiwbina and Bridgend Athletic. I would assume that sometime in the future that North Wales will have a conference as well

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
There's a new 2nd xv national conference starting next season with 3 conferences of 4 teams, West, Central and East, games home and away with play-offs to determine the winner Not sure about the East and West but the Central is made up off Bargoed, Tondu, Rhiwbina and Bridgend Athletic. I would assume that sometime in the future that North Wales will have a conference as well

That's positive and to align the conference aspect where meritocracy can be applied!

I was more interested in the Junior Rugby health with Q (above) .. but that is a positive feedback.
Maybe things are stirring, hope so!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am
Site Admin

Things are rapidly changing in Wales, importantly, last august a simple paragraph was added to a letter sent out, that was in fact 12 month advance notification of a change to the way grass roots clubs are financed by the union. Expect a great gnashing of teeth come august :D

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. coaches will be encouraged top drink. there is also massive change to the way the game from under 19 down is governed.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
Things are rapidly changing in Wales, importantly, last august a simple paragraph was added to a letter sent out, that was in fact 12 month advance notification of a change to the way grass roots clubs are financed by the union. Expect a great gnashing of teeth come august :D

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. coaches will be encouraged top drink. there is also massive change to the way the game from under 19 down is governed.

Much needed, hope it works for those involved.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 pm
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:

Pense positif mon pôte! Think positive my friend! :thumbright:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm
World XV Player

Just a quick scan but sounds as if becoming more coaching orientated - good news

Worked wonders for Spanish football, US athletics etc

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Quote:
WRU Head of Rugby Participation - Ryan Jones - added: “Players’ enjoyment of our sport is largely dictated by the one-on-one involvement they have with their coach – a fun, safe and inspiring environment gives them all a positive rugby experience.

The changes being implemented are all with Welsh Rugby’s purpose at front of mind – more people, more often, with more enjoyment and more success.”

Good.

Now implement the changes uniformly throughout Wales and have quality control as an intrinsic and ever present part of the process.

:thumbup:

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am
thread ruining clique

Langland Exile wrote:
Hope it is something more than a different job for the same old boys, but Ryan seems to be a good leader.

Look, Ryan knows what he's talking about. He says what he means, and when he says "look", you know something good is going to follow.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Look, Ryan knows what he's talking about. He says what he means, and when he says "look", you know something good is going to follow.

He may yet graduate to "Look, yew" :P

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 am
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:

I think things are starting to align Chris to prepare for a big change in 2020.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:

I think things are starting to align Chris to prepare for a big change in 2020.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

http://www.wru.wales/eng/news/39347.php#.WakFXNSGM2x

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:00 am
Profile E-mail