It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Which Welsh player would you miss the most once he retires? 

Dan Biggar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Luke Charteris 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alex Cuthbert 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Bradley Davies 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jonathan Davies (Foxy) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Taulupe Faletau 36%  36%  [ 7 ]
Leigh Halfpenny 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paul James 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Gethin Jenkins 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Alun Wyn Jones 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Dan Lydiate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
George North 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rhys Priestland 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Jamie Roberts 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Justin Tipuric 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sam Warburton 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lloyd Williams 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scott Williams 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Any other (please state) 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 19

British & Irish Lions Player

Post Which Welsh player would you miss the most once he retires?
Ages ago, I made a poll asking which player who already has retired do you miss the most. Now, let's ask which still-serving player would you miss the most once he retires. To me it is a toss-up between AWJ and Gethin Jenkins, although having said that the young locks imo look more promising than the young props besides Samson Lee and Rob Evans. The criteria must be a player who was first capped internationally prior to 2012 and has not yet retired from international selection.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Which Welsh player would you miss the most once he retires?
Gareth Edwards

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm

simondavis wrote:
Gareth Edwards

I said retires, not dies. xD

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

:wtf: :shock:

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Gareth Edwards

None of them....Ok. Gethin. Is he dead yet?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:57 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Gareth Edwards

None of them....Ok. Gethin. Is he dead yet?

Best Welsh player of this century, by a long way doesn't even make the list...who on earth came up with the list.. ;)

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am
World XV Player

Dan Biggar - he needs to start for the Lions in a Test match. Being behind a shoddy pair of Lions must be cracking him up.
Luke Charteris - He's an invisible man who played superbly in France. Merthyr will love him, Welsh coaches do not.
Alex Cuthbert - Had it, lost it, got it back again. Much better now. His tries from distance are great to watch.
Bradley Davies - Massive advertisement for what happens when you stop a Kiwi reaching the ball. TMO's introduced after.
Jonathan Davies (Foxy) - He's raised his game to Grav heights - another Sospan Superstar.
Taulupe Faletau - Amazing, just amazing. a superstar in the making.
Leigh Halfpenny - In, out - shake him all about. Head banger, mostly his own. Too brave, like Kevin from Ponty ...
Paul James - He's on the wrong list.
Gethin Jenkins - He rarely smiles but his stellar career is the equal of The Fun Bus. Hall of Famer.
Alun Wyn Jones - Been there and done it - the English Press has thrown shit at him to cover their man's failings.
Dan Lydiate - Has been removed from the impact role he once had. Referees love to whistle, don't they?
George North - Contusion Confusion. Magnificent at his best and he chose to go to England rather than France. WRONG.
Rhys Priestland - Excellent, great to watch - then he turned into a moth and got burned by not kicking into the crowd.
Jamie Roberts - Doing an Arthur made him and then lost him a Lion's place this time as our game got faster.
Justin Tipuric - The Press appear to be selecting the Lions side. (At 16 stone he's too small? ...)
Sam Warburton - Staggering career. He isn't finished yet. A lot more to come.
Lloyd Williams - He's on the wrong list. Did you see the backrow man shaking his head when Webb scored?
Scott Williams - Extra value every 5th or 6th game. Flashes of brilliance do not a star make.

Any other (please state)

Liam Williams. I read an English reporter slagging off Gatland and saying Williams' mistake cost a crucial try.
:sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am
World XV Player

Paul James
:walk:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:53 am

Liam Williams was first capped in 2012, so he doesn't make the list I am afraid.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Alun Wyn Jones, no question.

Our very best players are probably all back-rowers, but we seem to have a limitless stock of depth there, including many players who are still at the start of their careers, and no one player feels indispensable there.

Our weakest areas at the moment are centre and tighthead (in that order), but none of the players we have in those positions at the moment seem like they would be particularly missed if they retired, based on their current form at least.

Whilst we have some other decent locks, none of the them come close to AWJ in terms of overall quality. Whilst he probably has peaked as a player he still has some good years left in him and I expect him to make the 2019 World Cup. If he retires immediately afterwards we will be in trouble as at the moment, with the exception of Jake Ball, the rest of our locks (Davies and Charteris) are also looking like they're at the end of their careers (Charteis is older than Jones). I really hope the youngsters who featured on the summer tour can step up in the next year or two.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am
Profile E-mail

Figaro wrote:
Alun Wyn Jones, no question.

Our very best players are probably all back-rowers, but we seem to have a limitless stock of depth there, including many players who are still at the start of their careers, and no one player feels indispensable there.

Our weakest areas at the moment are centre and tighthead (in that order), but none of the players we have in those positions at the moment seem like they would be particularly missed if they retired, based on their current form at least.

Whilst we have some other decent locks, none of the them come close to AWJ in terms of overall quality. Whilst he probably has peaked as a player he still has some good years left in him and I expect him to make the 2019 World Cup. If he retires immediately afterwards we will be in trouble as at the moment, with the exception of Jake Ball, the rest of our locks (Davies and Charteris) are also looking like they're at the end of their careers (Charteis is older than Jones). I really hope the youngsters who featured on the summer tour can step up in the next year or two.

From what I read, Adam Beard and Ryan Elias were promising.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Well Elias is a hooker so no replacement for AWJ...

I thought Seb Davies was the best of the young locks actually; though he had the major advantage of being given much more game time than the other two, especialy Beard. I hope he gets plenty of opportunity with the Blues next season.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Taulupe without a doubt. His quietly celebratory dominance is a joy to see as he legs it around the field like a young buck full of power to deceive.

Bristol Folks are ok .. he'll be ok.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Some of these have already retired. Gethin is on the verge.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:16 pm
Club Player

From the perspective of the national side I think it's safe to say we have already seen the last of Hook, Paul James and Lloyd Williams, and possibly also Priestland and Lydiate. I am also not sure how much longer Roberts, Bradley Davies and Luke Charteris will remain in the coaches' plans.

Jenkins avoids that list because whilst he could fully retire tomorrow, or carry on for another year. He is already past the age you'd expect him to retire, but his form before his recent injury showed he still has something to offer and would have been involved in the 6N and summer tour if it weren't for the injury.
He seems to be on a year-by-year contract with the Blues and I think if he was going to end his career this summer he would have done it by now. This will probably year may well be his last for both region and country though.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 am
Profile E-mail