It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Mcbride . Tight lipped on the thorny matter ! 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Mcbride . Tight lipped on the thorny matter !
Thegrimriper wrote:
baldy wrote:
As supporters we want and deserve answers.
Sure it will come out soon.
I think we all know he's no international, prem standard maybe.

English Premiership or Welsh Premiership? (Serious question).

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

In all seriousness, he has quickly become a high-profile player because he is exciting in open play, hes a young lad and if hes injured it should have been made clear to avoid speculation for the lads sake.

If hes not then its surprising he hasn't even made the bench, as it must have been a huge disappointed and after all the hype something of an embarrassment (probably through no fault of the boy :dontknow: ) if their reason is genuinely the way he would stand up to physical challenge, then he should never have gone. The lad clearly is an exciting player, but he clearly has his weaknesses at this stage in his career. Dont think taking him to carry the water was necessarily a wise choice, if the doubts were there before.
I suppose the fact that it will be viewed as a successful tour totally takes the pressure off McBride.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

baldy wrote:

I don't know if we need to.

He was picked in the squad both for this tour and the Autumn Internationals, losing out in the 6Nations because he was injured. On that basis he is clearly in favour with the Welsh management. Given that there are so many players that fans want to play that are left out of squads, including Cubby, Dan Evans and then Hook.

I like Giles, he looks good but taking a more rational view, he has probably achieved less than the above players and got picked for the squad. Therefore he can feel lucky to be with the team at all.
It's not like the management are bothered about upsetting the public. The discussion and pressure from the oress have been consistently ignored by our coaches. Assuming we can include Gatland in this, Cooper over Peel, Jones over Hook, Prydie, Priestland being picked when out of form over Biggar, Roberts being picked over Scott Williams, Warburton over Tipuric, Biggar over Sam Davies, Jonathan Davies over Brian O'Driscoll and then the four Welsh players and two Scottish included in the Lions tour.

My point - there is no evidence that Giles would be picked in the squad if they did not think he was the best option.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
baldy wrote:

He was picked in the squad both for this tour and the Autumn Internationals, losing out in the 6Nations because he was injured. On that basis he is clearly in favour with the Welsh management. Given that there are so many players that fans want to play that are left out of squads, including Cubby, Dan Evans and then Hook.

I like Giles, he looks good but taking a more rational view, he has probably achieved less than the above players and got picked for the squad. Therefore he can feel lucky to be with the team at all.
It's not like the management are bothered about upsetting the public. The discussion and pressure from the oress have been consistently ignored by our coaches. Assuming we can include Gatland in this, Cooper over Peel, Jones over Hook, Prydie, Priestland being picked when out of form over Biggar, Roberts being picked over Scott Williams, Warburton over Tipuric, Biggar over Sam Davies, Jonathan Davies over Brian O'Driscoll and then the four Welsh players and two Scottish included in the Lions tour.

My point - there is no evidence that Giles would be picked in the squad if they did not think he was the best option.

Dont disagree with most of that ....... but there never would be evidence of such a thing even if it happened to be the case.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
baldy wrote:

Dont disagree with most of that ....... but there never would be evidence of such a thing even if it happened to be the case.

Apologies, I was a bit ambiguous. What I meant was, there is clear evidence of players being left out of the squad to demonstrate that the management don't seem to be in the habit of picking players that please the press. If anything, quite the opposite. On that basis, given that Giles was picked in the squad, is surely evidence that they must rate him?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
baldy wrote:

Apologies, I was a bit ambiguous. What I meant was, there is clear evidence of players being left out of the squad to demonstrate that the management don't seem to be in the habit of picking players that please the press. If anything, quite the opposite. On that basis, given that Giles was picked in the squad, is surely evidence that they must rate him?

Take your point....... would only add that the reason for not taking the player like James Davies is probably personality related in that he has shown some resentment.

I think Gatland has previously used a good story to deflect pressure off himself, the notable example previously being the selection of Tom Pryde against Italy in 2010, for the last game of the season, when they had only previously beaten Scotland.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Except RM picked him for the squad in the first place. Why do that if he wasn't ready? Unless I suppose he came to that view after watching him in training.

Perhaps he came to that conclusion after being with him for 2 weeks how long have you spent with KG
Are you honestly saying you want to subject him to the sort of hit that Cory Allen had? It would have knocked him into next week and the week after

I don't want anyone to get hurt; but either he's ready to be playing in the professional Rugby environment or he isn't. Halaifonua, who made said hit, plays for Gloucester who were playing in the same competition as the Ospreys (Challenge Cup) - the Ospreys would have played them if they'd made it a little further. Besides, as both myself and others have said, why take him on the tour if he wasn't physically ready for it - the tour was planned years ago, it's not like the fixtures were sprung on them as a surprise!

It's the cryptic comments by McBryde that raise the questions. If there was a basic Rugby related reason why Corey Allen was preferred, he would have just said that, or talked up Allen to justify the decision or something - instead of being cryptic and explicitly saying it wasn't a rugby related reason.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Why would the idiot Mcbride take him to NZ, the most exciting player in Wales for a while and not play him ?
The boy could have been experiencing playing in u20 World Cup.
More to it, than coming out in press !!!!!!!

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 pm
World XV Player

it is really scary that Mcbryde is in charge (theoretically) of developing players.

I fell that either via Skype or email was the medium for the selection.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
it is really scary that Mcbryde is in charge (theoretically) of developing players.

I fell that either via Skype or email was the medium for the selection.

Isn't he a coach of some description?

:?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 am
World XV Player

I think it's a bit early to be writing mcbryde off personally. And think Welsh forwards often perform better for Wales than they do regionally. However Howley on the other had doesn't look a great coach as evidenced by the teams he coaches consistently struggling to score tries, be it lions or Wales

On the subject of Giles I am not sure what the issue is...

Firstly was Giles playing well enough to be selected for the squad especially with players away - yes so select him

Secondly should he have been picked for the game - not necessarily, it's the coaches call who gets picked and has the right to chose players to execute game plan etc

Thirdly was the coach right - well Wales won and Allen didn't let anyone down

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

I thought Allen looked like a good prospect on the wing.
Quite impressed actually all things considered.

Maybe won't set the world alight with his feet but he has pace and size and a good rugby brain.

He looked pretty good in both games.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 am
Profile E-mail