It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

So Howley/Gatland were wrong on 15? 
World XV Player

Post So Howley/Gatland were wrong on 15?
So the expansive game for Wales talked about recently was a crock of shite and now by selecting Williams at 15 it is clear that the 6 nations was a waste of time with Halfpenny. Every man and his dog wanted Williams as 15 except for Stanley

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 am
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: So Howley/Gatland were wrong on 15?
daidimview wrote:
So the expansive game for Wales talked about recently was a crock of shite and now by selecting Williams at 15 it is clear that the 6 nations was a waste of time with Halfpenny. Every man and his dog wanted Williams as 15 except for Stanley

Maybe Gatland saw the light after all? People can change and do make mistakes, after all.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

najbritcol wrote:
daidimview wrote:

Maybe Gatland saw the light after all? People can change and do make mistakes, after all.

This is Gatlands greatest fault as a coach.....and it is a massive fault that I think holds us back. He simply fails to see the possibilities that some emerging players can bring. I think we would have looked a completely different team if we had Stef Evans on one wing and Liam at 15, but he fails to see that. It was similar with the development of Scott Williams , who was overlooked for years in favour of Jamie Roberts. It's now the same with James Davies.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:03 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Wales back three in the 6 Nations should have been LW at 15 with North and 1/2p on wings. 1/2p has an excellent record for Wales on the wing but at full back seems to offer no attcking threat. The Lions selection is very interesting!

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It's possible that both Gatland and Howley prefer Williams as a player to Halfpenny. It's also possible that Williams (despite evidence) is also considered the better fullback.

It's just that we are lacking form wingers who are considered better than both Halfpenny and Williams. When both are on the field, it's likely that the better option is Halfpenny at fullback and Liam Williams on the wing. If Steff Evans plays a blinder and North finds his form, I think Halfpenny may be on the bench for Wales with Liam at fullback.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
It's possible that both Gatland and Howley prefer Williams as a player to Halfpenny. It's also possible that Williams (despite evidence) is also considered the better fullback.

It's just that we are lacking form wingers who are considered better than both Halfpenny and Williams. When both are on the field, it's likely that the better option is Halfpenny at fullback and Liam Williams on the wing. If Steff Evans plays a blinder and North finds his form, I think Halfpenny may be on the bench for Wales with Liam at fullback.

Exactly

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

Exactly

Saracens, not short of talent, went after Liam, not Halfpenny

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:47 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

Exactly

Saracens, not short of talent, went after Liam, not Halfpenny

1/2p wasnt available at the time?
Probably cheaper?

However I agree their choice, Saracens counter attack and are built to take opportunities as they present themselves.

Liam more versatile and better bench option.

International release relief probably doesn't apply.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:08 pm
World XV Player

Williams makes mistakes unfortunately... involved in one of the greatest ever BI tries today but then gifts the ABs a try by letting a ball drop through his arms - which is criminal for a top level full back.

Halfpenny is less boom and bust and makes few errors. Handily he is also the best goal kicker in the world.

I see why selectors sometimes go for halfpenny. Williams mistakes infuriate me and I don't believe he had a great game today (as widely reported) as he gifted the all blacks a try

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Williams makes mistakes unfortunately... involved in one of the greatest ever BI tries today but then gifts the ABs a try by letting a ball drop through his arms - which is criminal for a top level full back.

Halfpenny is less boom and bust and makes few errors. Handily he is also the best goal kicker in the world.

I see why selectors sometimes go for halfpenny. Williams mistakes infuriate me and I don't believe he had a great game today (as widely reported) as he gifted the all blacks a try

agree - Halfpenny is the better defensive player, although he sometimes puts his head on the wrong side when he tackles, he also has great hands, Webb's so-called great try in the 6N only executed because HP had the talent to catch the badly thrown long pass.

Maybe the coaching needs to be more sophisticated, and change their positions from time to time, LW runs great lines from the full back position, so whatever number he has on his shirt that should be exploited

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

L Williams is an exciting player, a very committed player and a fans favourite, on the downside he is very error prone.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm
International Player

eborr wrote:

agree - Halfpenny is the better defensive player, although he sometimes puts his head on the wrong side when he tackles, he also has great hands, Webb's so-called great try in the 6N only executed because HP had the talent to catch the badly thrown long pass.

Maybe the coaching needs to be more sophisticated, and change their positions from time to time, LW runs great lines from the full back position, so whatever number he has on his shirt that should be exploited

Nailed it :D but I do think he had a GOOD (if not great) game.
I would still go Williams at 15 and Helfpenny on the wing.
On the wing - Halfpenny had a fantastic strike rate and was pretty deadly.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail

welshy34 wrote:
eborr wrote:

That would be my inclination too, but how come it didn't really work last November against Japan?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

najbritcol wrote:
welshy34 wrote:
eborr wrote:

That would be my inclination too, but how come it didn't really work last November against Japan?

I thought it worked pretty well myself.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 am
Profile E-mail

welshy34 wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
welshy34 wrote:
eborr wrote:

I thought it worked pretty well myself.

Well obviously not enough to prevent the dreadful final result.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 am
Profile E-mail