World XV Player

Post Re: Vision for Regional Rugby
soap wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
tom21 wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Merge?

FFS, lets have something new

Merged was the wrong term, though I think that is how the player base could be established. A new East Wales regional entity would be formed. Dragons name would make sense for a Welsh regional side, but might be too controversial.

Don't see why, the Newport lot never embraced it ;) :D

Depends if its called Newdiff or Carport.

Newport can now f'k off .. they have done their dirty deeds and lost .... the future is for Rugby.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

see

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72900

Soon, international Club rugby takes shape ...probably with Conferences and at top level play offs for ultimate championship I think that you'll find that SA will trget N Hemp presence.

Message for Regions or whatever they are called that they will have to qualify well for Conferences or lose significant ground. EPCR but a forerunner? Already EPRC are pointing in that direction and their Club dominated Governance will be active?

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:09 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
see

http://www.scumv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72900

Soon, international Club rugby takes shape ...probably with Conferences and at top level play offs for ultimate championship I think that you'll find that SA will trget N Hemp presence.

Message for Regions or whatever they are called that they will have to qualify well for Conferences or lose significant ground. EPCR but a forerunner? Already EPRC are pointing in that direction and their Club dominated Governance will be active?

Presumably only for the Countries that don't have a viable league. As an FYI we played the Austin Huns in the semi final of the D1 league, and Trebanos would put 40 on them.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:54 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
see

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72900

Presumably only for the Countries that don't have a viable league. As an FYI we played the Austin Huns in the semi final of the D1 league, and Trebanos would put 40 on them.

No I think that viable conferences will replace and expand a EPRC type format from N Hemp (potentially with SA teams) .. S Hemp has the Super 'League' or similar .. SA have always been in contention there.

The fact that currently only 1 SA team (a reject from the Super league) has signed up is but an original convergence.

Already SA have denied approaches from EPCR but no smoke without fire.

We already have a N Hemp seeding in EPRC Champions and Conference Cups format

and currently Pro12 are really considering a much wider geographic mix ... it's the hot topic.

There has to be representative conferences that will subsequently feed play offs of a more promoted level.

Ultimately title of World Club Champs will be the goal.

Current timetables wont support expansion so world wide timetable better fit and a different league/Conference composition inevitable.o

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:11 pm
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
see the problem with regional rugby, los jaguares, aka aregentina, go full on domestic, dilute the pool of players, become quite shit

Agree and think three would probably be a good number (with some good imports). Rumour is though that only two are going to be affordable though.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
Been hearing quite a few rumours over the past few weeks regarding the future of the domestic game. Some interesting rumours going around, including that only 2 teams are going to viable going forward, but intriguingly that there might be three other teams based around universities in Cardiff, Swansea and Bangor. The proposed splitting of East and West conferences in the Premiership might also allude to that direction, so could we be looking at the following:

2 senior regions (East and West - Dragons and Warriors maybe) run by the WRU and consisting of 40 or so centrally contracted players each

3 university based teams (Hartpury College type set ups) under the WRU that feed into the two regions + RGC

RGC pretty much the same as they are now

Welsh Prem = 3 university teams, RGC and 6 clubs from both East and West, making 16 teams. Play offs between top two from East and West Conferences.

Leagues below split into East and West (with North having own set up). Top teams in top East and West Divisions either replace relegated teams from East and West conferences in Welsh Prem or play off against them.

Bit complicated, but something approaching a coherent structure and development pathway with the university based teams feeding into the senior regions (colleges could feed into universities, schools into colleges etc.). Those who fall between the gaps could still be picked up by clubs in the Welsh Prem.

Thoughts?

Interesting, and something along these lines could I think provide a sustainable model for pro rugby in Wales over the medium - long term, unlike the existing structure.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 am
World XV Player

Might slip into a bit of hyperbole here and there, but I came across this earlier today during my daily perusal:

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/blacks-north ... gby-360991

I am quite encouraged reading that and going back to my original post on this, I really do see things starting to align. The introduction of the university set ups I mentioned in the original post would provide the next step after the college level and if done well with the Welsh Premiership, could well be the gateway to the professional game.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

pro14 two conferneces, welsh prem the same.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
pro14 two conferneces, welsh prem the same.

Iffy use of Pro and Premiership in the same sentence.. :P :D

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 am
Site Admin

:)

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Way back when regionalism was first being set up people asked about the rationale for the premiership then. I said then that a development structure akin to US College Football should be developed to encourage the youth. It was blasted of The BBC scumV pages by old props and hookers decrying the inexorable massacre of the youth at their hands.

It is good that finally the idea is gaining a little traction.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Way back when regionalism was first being set up people asked about the rationale for the premiership then. I said then that a development structure akin to US College Football should be developed to encourage the youth. It was blasted of The BBC scumV pages by old props and hookers decrying the inexorable massacre of the youth at their hands.

I believe that the average age of the RGC match day squad last year was around 21 - 22, so in that part of the world this is already happening; and with their Cup win and top 4 finish last year you have to say that those lads did pretty well up against all the self-proclaimed dangerous old props, hookers etc... :D

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am
World XV Player

Old Second Row wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

I believe that the average age of the RGC match day squad last year was around 21 - 22, so in that part of the world this is already happening; and with their Cup win and top 4 finish last year you have to say that those lads did pretty well up against all the self-proclaimed dangerous old props, hookers etc... :D

The game has changed a lot...apparently for the better.. ;)

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm