It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 am

Pivac and Stephen Jones to coach Wales? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pivac and Stephen Jones to coach Wales?
mr messy wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
I think you didn't realise I was toungue in cheek hence the emoticon!
I think your response was fair until the personal attack!!

It was a very good post though :) that nicely summed things up. Coaches develop and change IMO far more than players, indeed they sometimes reinvent themselves. It's difficult to do that as a player. Perhaps the magic ingredient in all of this is Stephen Jones or the blend of Jones and Pivac :dontknow:

I would agree. I also think it goes a bit further than jusy developing ans changing as coaches but also getting the team to wherw you want. I would like to see long term success but I think judging last year and the year before as a means of discounting / adding perspective to the performance this season, as some on here have attempted, is unfair. This approach does not consider changes in personell, both players and coaches, a change in structure both tactics and off the field, new ideas taking time to develop and wider political impacts that may influence the players, for example stability. Their win this season was well deserved and achieved through hard work.

Sorry, typos.

it's a good thing you've nailed you colours to the mast in that other thread as i'd never think you were a scarlets fan otherwise, not that i'm saying you're attempting to ignore a large percentage of the past in favour of short term results to define the heralding of a new dawn :D

Where did Connacht finnish this year?

I accept your point on Connacht. However, I think Scarlets have been showing an improvement over the last few years, and using Europe as an example two years ago is unfair. Their improvements have been helped by decent signings as well. On the field there is a much better attitude.

Neither of us can say that they will keep the momentum going but I would be surprised to see them do the same as Connacht or Leicester in the football. I really want to see them do it.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

It was a very good post though :) that nicely summed things up. Coaches develop and change IMO far more than players, indeed they sometimes reinvent themselves. It's difficult to do that as a player. Perhaps the magic ingredient in all of this is Stephen Jones or the blend of Jones and Pivac :dontknow:

thanks CaB!
Pivac is also quite humble and SJ learning from his time at Wasps.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

thanks CaB!

Do you mean Blind Side!? :D

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

thanks CaB!

No, I'm Bs. :D

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

thanks CaB!

No, I'm Bs. :D

No I'm Bs!

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:11 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'm full of that.

:thefinger:

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 pm
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
OK, I just realised I contradicted myself re Welsh clubs. What I meant with them being in decline was that it was quite obvious from the inception of the European Champions and Challenge Cups that they could not keep up with the somewhat wealthier English and French clubs in terms of performances and results, lacking the money and to some extent population size to do so. However, at least until the mid-to-late 90's, the clubs were still popular when competing domestically in the Welsh league and cup competitions, and even had some remarkable matches against touring opposition, such as the Swansea-Australia match I mentioned above.

How old were you in 1990? I'm asking because it seems you are plucking evidence off the Web to match theories you have, but it seems to me you could not have been there, or if you were you were off your face on something most of the time.

Good points BS in both answers, and absolutely accurate too!! From the mid 80's on (to now in fact?) I used to come home probably twice a year, (mainly, at a moment in time, to catch the 5N and any other International games) and I honestly can't recall a worse time to be a Welshman than that awful period! For me, it culminated really, when the RL Messiah (Iestyn Harris) made one of the few transitions the 'wrong way' from League to Union and everyone and his brother saw him as the answer to every problem, at every position!! (Was this at the turn of the century? Around 2000? With a fee reputed to be in excess of £1.5 million?) As per normal selection processes, they took potentially, a possible top-class IC and stuck him at fly-half!! When it finally began to 'come-right' he was already disillusioned and pissed off sharpish. I think he was the only professional in an entire system populated by amateurs!!!!

I remember such illustrious names playing for Wales, like; ................ Nigel Meek, Andy Allen, Alan Edmunds, Alan Reynolds, John Funnell (Saw him play on the South African tour c. 1998-99?) Alun (Two-caps) Carter, Mark Davis, Luc Evans (Local boy from Treorchy, cracking bloke) Ken Waters and many more, all Giants of Welsh rugby (Sarcasm warning!!!!) and not a single one worth a single bloody International cap!!

To sum up in simple terms, it was probably, the worst period Internationally, suffered by and from, any major rugby nation!! In fairness, I see Naj has corrected himself but if anyone really suggests 'It wasn't bad' then as Blindside rightly says, that was, and is, delusional!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 pm
World XV Player

Ah Iestyn Harris. woulda coulda shoulda. Amazing distributor of the ball and hard as *fupp*.

The complete opposite to Jason Jones Hughes

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:37 pm