It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Pivac and Stephen Jones to coach Wales? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pivac and Stephen Jones to coach Wales?
OK, I just realised I contradicted myself re Welsh clubs. What I meant with them being in decline was that it was quite obvious from the inception of the European Champions and Challenge Cups that they could not keep up with the somewhat wealthier English and French clubs in terms of performances and results, lacking the money and to some extent population size to do so. However, at least until the mid-to-late 90's, the clubs were still popular when competing domestically in the Welsh league and cup competitions, and even had some remarkable matches against touring opposition, such as the Swansea-Australia match I mentioned above.

Tue May 30, 2017 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
OK, I just realised I contradicted myself re Welsh clubs. What I meant with them being in decline was that it was quite obvious from the inception of the European Champions and Challenge Cups that they could not keep up with the somewhat wealthier English and French clubs in terms of performances and results, lacking the money and to some extent population size to do so. However, at least until the mid-to-late 90's, the clubs were still popular when competing domestically in the Welsh league and cup competitions, and even had some remarkable matches against touring opposition, such as the Swansea-Australia match I mentioned above.

How old were you in 1990? I'm asking because it seems you are plucking evidence off the Web to match theories you have, but it seems to me you could not have been there, or if you were you were off your face on something most of the time.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

How old were you in 1990? I'm asking because it seems you are plucking evidence off the Web to match theories you have, but it seems to me you could not have been there, or if you were you were off your face on something most of the time.

I was five years old fyi. I was talking about the club scene still being fairly vibrant even when the national team was at an all time low. Newport, Cardiff, Bridgend, Neath, Swansea, Llanelli, Pontypridd, Pontypool, Ebbw Vale etc. were still quite popular and loved in their respective towns and communities back then, were they not?

Tue May 30, 2017 11:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
mr messy wrote:
Based on 1/2 a season?

I like what they are doing over a long period now with no resources like the giants of club rugby. open your eyes to the message :thumbup:

no resources, you're having a laugh. as for how they've done over a long time, pivac has been there 3 years, he's had a good end to the season and they've looked really good since Xmas.

but,

Holley & tandy have also won the Pro12. Last season scarlets lost 6 from 6 in europe, The year before that they won 2 from 6. last season they didn't qualify for the pro12 playoffs, the season before they didn't qualify for the pro12 playoffs. they've still had some very poor games this season struggling against the dragons and lost to the italians. they haven't beaten the ospreys at the liberty in over a decade.

They've had a good end to the season and deserve the credit they're getting for it. But that doesn't mean after a good 2nd half to the season, they should be next in line to coach wales.

it would be nice to think wales would be approaching better candidates than the current cv's at the scarlets otherwise they may as well appoint pat lam.

open your other eye to the reality and not just the rose tinted sentimental end to 2017 where you can ignore history.

I was only flying a kite FFS...why are you so offensive? Arrogant and patronising.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
mr messy wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
mr messy wrote:
Based on 1/2 a season?

I like what they are doing over a long period now with no resources like the giants of club rugby. open your eyes to the message :thumbup:

no resources, you're having a laugh. as for how they've done over a long time, pivac has been there 3 years, he's had a good end to the season and they've looked really good since Xmas.

but,

Holley & tandy have also won the Pro12. Last season scarlets lost 6 from 6 in europe, The year before that they won 2 from 6. last season they didn't qualify for the pro12 playoffs, the season before they didn't qualify for the pro12 playoffs. they've still had some very poor games this season struggling against the dragons and lost to the italians. they haven't beaten the ospreys at the liberty in over a decade.

They've had a good end to the season and deserve the credit they're getting for it. But that doesn't mean after a good 2nd half to the season, they should be next in line to coach wales.

it would be nice to think wales would be approaching better candidates than the current cv's at the scarlets otherwise they may as well appoint pat lam.

open your other eye to the reality and not just the rose tinted sentimental end to 2017 where you can ignore history.

I was only flying a kite FFS...why are you so offensive? Arrogant and patronising.

my bit in red is just responding to your bit in red. the rest of the post is my attempt to give a valid response to why pivac & jones shouldn't be considered as net in line as welsh coaches.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think you didn't realise I was toungue in cheek hence the emoticon!
I think your response was fair until the personal attack!!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

my apologies. I misunderstood and shouldn't have responded the way I did

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

Me too! Sorry!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
mr messy wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

Me too! Sorry!

You two need to get a room or something! When is the wedding?

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

It was a very good post though :) that nicely summed things up. Coaches develop and change IMO far more than players, indeed they sometimes reinvent themselves. It's difficult to do that as a player. Perhaps the magic ingredient in all of this is Stephen Jones or the blend of Jones and Pivac :dontknow:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

WTF has happened to this board :D

I blame Roger Lewis :thefinger:

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:12 pm
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

It was a very good post though :) that nicely summed things up. Coaches develop and change IMO far more than players, indeed they sometimes reinvent themselves. It's difficult to do that as a player. Perhaps the magic ingredient in all of this is Stephen Jones or the blend of Jones and Pivac :dontknow:

I would agree. I also think it goes a bit further than jusy developing ans changing as coaches but also getting the team to wherw you want. I would like to see long term success but I think judging last year and the year before as a means of discounting the performance this season, as some on here have attempted, is unfair. This approach does not consider changes in personell, both players and coaches, a change in structure both tactics and off the field, new ideas taking time to develop and wider political impacts that may influence the players, for example stability. Their win this season was well deserved and achieved through hard work.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

1 Swallow, 10 Summers.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:33 pm
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

I would agree. I also think it goes a bit further than jusy developing ans changing as coaches but also getting the team to wherw you want. I would like to see long term success but I think judging last year and the year before as a means of discounting the performance this season, as some on here have attempted, is unfair. This approach does not consider changes in personell, both players and coaches, a change in structure both tactics and off the field, new ideas taking time to develop and wider political impacts that may influence the players, for example stability. Their win this season was well deserved and achieved through hard work.

Sorry, typos.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

I would agree. I also think it goes a bit further than jusy developing ans changing as coaches but also getting the team to wherw you want. I would like to see long term success but I think judging last year and the year before as a means of discounting / adding perspective to the performance this season, as some on here have attempted, is unfair. This approach does not consider changes in personell, both players and coaches, a change in structure both tactics and off the field, new ideas taking time to develop and wider political impacts that may influence the players, for example stability. Their win this season was well deserved and achieved through hard work.

Sorry, typos.

it's a good thing you've nailed you colours to the mast in that other thread as i'd never think you were a scarlets fan otherwise, not that i'm saying you're attempting to ignore a large percentage of the past in favour of short term results to define the heralding of a new dawn :D

Where did Connacht finnish this year?

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next