It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Mat Clark of Bath 
Junior Player

Post Mat Clark of Bath
Watched Bath v Gloucester last week and of the eight Welshman on the pitch many will not be aware that Mat Clark who played in the centre for Bath was one of these. He tore Gloucester apart with a scintillating try and threatened others. He is young, strong, direct with the ability to wrongfoot opposition. With the so called dearth of centres in Wales he must be worth consideration for the summer tour unless his impact has come too late. According to Bath website born in Bridgend but has represented England at junior level. Welsh selectors should take note.

Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Mat Clark of Bath
Wasn't he an U-20 for Wales?

Thu May 04, 2017 6:45 pm
World XV Player

Does he play 12 or 13?

Thu May 04, 2017 8:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
Does he play 12 or 13?

Just watched the highlights and saw he was at 13. Quite a large Welsh contingent in that game!!

Thu May 04, 2017 8:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It would seem some WQ players have to move away to get game time, I did not know we had such a surplus of players.

Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Slight error as should have been Max Clark and not Mat. Have looked at Bath website again and says he is 6 foot 3inches and 15 stone 10 lbs. I can assure you that does not compromise his speed and mobility. He has represented England at U16.17,18 and U20 levels. That of course does not preclude him from the Welsh setup and born in Bridgend. One swallow does not make a summer and would like to see him in more than one game but every so often one sees a player that seems to have something special about him and centre is a position where Wales appear to have few options. Are the Welsh selectors doing enough to monitor the progress of Welsh qualified players in England? At least invite more into the Welsh squad training session. I watch the Pro 12 matches on TV and see members of the Welsh coaching squad casting their eyes over players that they have seen many times before and wonder whether time could be more profitably spent further afield. Also they should not be afraid of looking at players outside the Aviva. Gloucester must be mad in allowing Mat Protheroe a young player with enormous talent from their academy to be snapped up by Bristol. If anyone has doubts about that there are clips of his performances on the internet. Another Welshman who has represented England at various junior levels. These are players for the future so please Welsh selectors do not be caught out.

Fri May 05, 2017 9:10 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Slight error as should have been Max Clark and not Mat. Have looked at Bath website again and says he is 6 foot 3inches and 15 stone 10 lbs. I can assure you that does not compromise his speed and mobility. He has represented England at U16.17,18 and U20 levels. That of course does not preclude him from the Welsh setup and born in Bridgend. One swallow does not make a summer and would like to see him in more than one game but every so often one sees a player that seems to have something special about him and centre is a position where Wales appear to have few options. Are the Welsh selectors doing enough to monitor the progress of Welsh qualified players in England? At least invite more into the Welsh squad training session. I watch the Pro 12 matches on TV and see members of the Welsh coaching squad casting their eyes over players that they have seen many times before and wonder whether time could be more profitably spent further afield. Also they should not be afraid of looking at players outside the Aviva. Gloucester must be mad in allowing Mat Protheroe a young player with enormous talent from their academy to be snapped up by Bristol. If anyone has doubts about that there are clips of his performances on the internet. Another Welshman who has represented England at various junior levels. These are players for the future so please Welsh selectors do not be caught out.

Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:

Not sure if you've seen this interview with him.....?

Quote:
You were born in Wales, were you tempted to play for them, not England?

No. Mum is Welsh but I’ve lived in England all my life.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/in-the-mag/ho ... lark-40601

Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Thanks Llew. As England appears to have a surfeit of centres I would hope that an approach from Welsh selectors would be appealing.

Fri May 05, 2017 11:47 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

You'd hope that a guy who is as English as the pony shit on dartmoor, having represented every age group for England and having lived there his whole life, would play for Wales because England have some decent players, if only the WRU would get off their lazy asses and look for these welsh qualified players?

Fri May 05, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Junior Player

I see that Max Clark has turned down the opportunity of a summer tour with Wales. A great shame but he dearly wants to play for England. Credit to selectors for making the offer to a Welsh born player. His loss.

Wed May 10, 2017 4:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
You'd hope that a guy who is as English as the pony shit on dartmoor, having represented every age group for England and having lived there his whole life, would play for Wales because England have some decent players, if only the WRU would get off their lazy asses and look for these welsh qualified players?

its pathetic Jon. totally agree.

Wed May 10, 2017 6:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Stroud Wizard wrote:
I see that Max Clark has turned down the opportunity of a summer tour with Wales. A great shame but he dearly wants to play for England. Credit to selectors for making the offer to a Welsh born player. His loss.

but hes English!!!!!

Wed May 10, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Born in Bridgend and sold his soul when under 18.

Kids make all sorts of mistakes.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

CymraegJanner wrote:

They now have a full time department doing just that, trawling through colleges etc, to find welsh qualified players and invite them into the elite system.

Max is English in all but birth, and just as when I played in England as a teenager and climbed the ladder, no WAY would I have represented England. Happy to play for east anglia and eastern counties, as that represented my CLUB, but no way would I have turned my back on MY country and worn the red rose. (apart from the fact I wasn't good enough :D ) I am welsh by birth and history, he is Welsh by birth and english by history (personal life history)

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu May 11, 2017 10:51 am
Profile E-mail