It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Perhaps I have found my team. 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Perhaps I have found my team.
mr messy wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
For a long time, I have been neutral regarding the Regions. Maybe, just maybe I have found myself supporting the Scarlets...

The recent efforts by them and tonight's performance, against I accept a weak team, demonstrate what they have been doing. Fun, rugby that is improving.

For a while, perhaps 2008-2011, I thought about supporting the Ospreys (see the other thread about their poor performance at this time) they basically never played that well. Then I thought about the Dragons, mainly for the underdog factor. More recently, I hoped the Blues could do it, the Capitol team.

I can't say the Scarlets are my team at the moment but having visited all of the grounds for games, they have the best atmosphere and are playing the most fun rugby.

Yes, I am a glory supporter, but why else would I want to follow a team I have no attachment to?

As a south Walian, I would possibly follow a North Wales team, and although I haven't seen them play live, I think Spin and other has managed through sheer propaganda, kept that thread going that has made me feel part of something.

Convince me why I should support your team. If I can be so bold, here are the rules on this thread:

No negativity - no 'why bother suporting a Welsh Region, they are all *fupped*' etc.

No going into the history of the teams, beyond the recent. I'm not interested in the politics.

No politics.

Also, I don't want to hear politics.

Please bo politics.

I want genuine, positive reasons why I should follow your region or club. Or at least, I want to hear why you love your team. Good anecdotes, I want to hear your best reasons for why your team means so much to you, the more recent the better.

Trying to narrow it down a bit, you aren't constrained by arbitrary lines on a map who you support, you're bit of a glory Hunter, want to see good rugby, which I assume means star quality players, and ultimately Wales to do well.

Have you thought about supporting Bath? They had charter is, priestland and aled brew start for them on the weekend, and even had the man of the match and Wales's most consistent performer and 2 time lion in faletau play for them. That's more Welsh players and a more successful team than the dragons can ever hope to be and you supported them. Or glouscester who had Hibbard, hook and current lions and Welsh back row in moriarty and playing in a European final?

Bath are a great side and if I lived in SE Wales and wasn't so invested in the Scarlets I'd probably watch my Rugby there.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wasp wrote:
Bath are a great side and if I lived in SE Wales and wasn't so invested in the Scarlets I'd probably watch my Rugby there.

That's a good call, look at the game I watched this weekend. Faletau was good.

http://sport.bt.com/video/highlights-bath-44-20-gloucester-91364176949341

Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am
Youth Player

The Scarlets had a big advantage in that pre-regionalization Llanelli RFC was already fairly widely followed throughout Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire as the nearest big team. Yes there were the likes of Carmarthen Quins etc. but they have only been prominent post-regionalization. There were no other teams in West Wales anywhere near Llanelli at the time of regionalization so it wasn't so hard for them to get behind the team (which many of them already supported). Post-Celtic Warriors the other regions all contained several significant clubs which had formerly been equals, so it has been harder for them to adjust.

Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
For a long time, I have been neutral regarding the Regions. Maybe, just maybe I have found myself supporting the Scarlets...

The recent efforts by them and tonight's performance, against I accept a weak team, demonstrate what they have been doing. Fun, rugby that is improving.

For a while, perhaps 2008-2011, I thought about supporting the Ospreys (see the other thread about their poor performance at this time) they basically never played that well. Then I thought about the Dragons, mainly for the underdog factor. More recently, I hoped the Blues could do it, the Capitol team.

I can't say the Scarlets are my team at the moment but having visited all of the grounds for games, they have the best atmosphere and are playing the most fun rugby.

Yes, I am a glory supporter, but why else would I want to follow a team I have no attachment to?

As a south Walian, I would possibly follow a North Wales team, and although I haven't seen them play live, I think Spin and other has managed through sheer propaganda, kept that thread going that has made me feel part of something.

Convince me why I should support your team. If I can be so bold, here are the rules on this thread:

No negativity - no 'why bother suporting a Welsh Region, they are all *fupped*' etc.

No going into the history of the teams, beyond the recent. I'm not interested in the politics.

No politics.

Please bo politics.

I want genuine, positive reasons why I should follow your region or club. Or at least, I want to hear why you love your team. Good anecdotes, I want to hear your best reasons for why your team means so much to you, the more recent the better.

Trying to narrow it down a bit, you aren't constrained by arbitrary lines on a map who you support, you're bit of a glory Hunter, want to see good rugby, which I assume means star quality players, and ultimately Wales to do well.

Have you thought about supporting Bath? They had charter is, priestland and aled brew start for them on the weekend, and even had the man of the match and Wales's most consistent performer and 2 time lion in faletau play for them. That's more Welsh players and a more successful team than the dragons can ever hope to be and you supported them. Or glouscester who had Hibbard, hook and current lions and Welsh back row in moriarty and playing in a European final?

My support for regional rugby is mainly Welsh. I am neutral but always support the Welsh teams. This weekend I might follow the Ospreys to inprove their chances of the playoffs. Generally, in Welsh derbies I will support the team that is most likely to succeed or make the playoffs. In other words, I would enjoy seeing a Welsh team win the league or in Europe, I don't mind which one.

You could call it glory supporting, I have no problem with admitting it, in a similar way I will support the English teams with most Welsh players - Bath, Bristol and so on.

I was impressed by the Scarlets on the weekend. I think it comes down to enjoying their style. I watch to enjoy it, not just to see the team win. I've watched too many matches by the regions, where by about 60 minutes, I turn over because I am bored.

Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

No politics.

Please bo politics.

My support for regional rugby is mainly Welsh. I am neutral but always support the Welsh teams. This weekend I might follow the Ospreys to inprove their chances of the playoffs. Generally, in Welsh derbies I will support the team that is most likely to succeed or make the playoffs. In other words, I would enjoy seeing a Welsh team win the league or in Europe, I don't mind which one.

You could call it glory supporting, I have no problem with admitting it, in a similar way I will support the English teams with most Welsh players - Bath, Bristol and so on.

I was impressed by the Scarlets on the weekend. I think it comes down to enjoying their style. I watch to enjoy it, not just to see the team win. I've watched too many matches by the regions, where by about 60 minutes, I turn over because I am bored.

Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think the Dragon's are doing all right as a feeder club for Bath.

I went along to Dave Parade at their inception and to PontyPool Park to see a pre season game there too. The problem with newport folk was their lack of acceptance of anything other than newport. I remember, in the hazle stand, cheering 'Dragons' .. I could feel the heat of animosity all around me. I didn't take my Wife there again. Quite simply newport nasty's do not deserve Rugby in their town.

On the bright side I met a couple of board members there one game and we had a few beers, and met up again playing for this board at Abbey RFC.

So it didn't work out with The Dragon's, The Blue's seems natural for me but I still feel that they are a verucca on the City and have never really tried to integrate ... which makes me laugh and scoff at folk's on here who complain about them being too Cardiff.

Ospreys promised a lot as Galactico's but never delivered which is a great shame.

Warrior's were sacrificed cold bloodedly but I still have my 'replica shirt' because they were my first choice, my Grampa being from Merthyr.

Y Sgarlet's? Well to be honest I have always admired them and have absolutely no problem smiling at their good fortune.

Tue May 02, 2017 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail

wasp wrote:
mr messy wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

No politics.

Please bo politics.

Relative to their large budget and star players they haven't really achieved much since the 90's.

Tue May 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail

Figaro wrote:
The Scarlets had a big advantage in that pre-regionalization Llanelli RFC was already fairly widely followed throughout Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire as the nearest big team. Yes there were the likes of Carmarthen Quins etc. but they have only been prominent post-regionalization. There were no other teams in West Wales anywhere near Llanelli at the time of regionalization so it wasn't so hard for them to get behind the team (which many of them already supported). Post-Celtic Warriors the other regions all contained several significant clubs which had formerly been equals, so it has been harder for them to adjust.

Yes that's true enough, although there were a lot of Neath fans around here in the 80s and 90s

Tue May 02, 2017 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail

LLanrumneyOik wrote:

I went along to Dave Parade at their inception and to PontyPool Park to see a pre season game there too. The problem with newport folk was their lack of acceptance of anything other than newport. I remember, in the hazle stand, cheering 'Dragons' .. I could feel the heat of animosity all around me. I didn't take my Wife there again. Quite simply newport nasty's do not deserve Rugby in their town.

On the bright side I met a couple of board members there one game and we had a few beers, and met up again playing for this board at Abbey RFC.

So it didn't work out with The Dragon's, The Blue's seems natural for me but I still feel that they are a verucca on the City and have never really tried to integrate ... which makes me laugh and scoff at folk's on here who complain about them being too Cardiff.

Ospreys promised a lot as Galactico's but never delivered which is a great shame.

Warrior's were sacrificed cold bloodedly but I still have my 'replica shirt' because they were my first choice, my Grampa being from Merthyr.

Y Sgarlet's? Well to be honest I have always admired them and have absolutely no problem smiling at their good fortune.

I thought they went bust. At a time when the WRU were also skint.

Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wasp wrote:

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

Wed May 03, 2017 5:23 am

Bouch wrote:
wasp wrote:

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

So I am right then. Thanks for confirming

Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Well I am driving 120 miles to and from San Diego on Saturday to see the California Club Championship Final which starts at 4, after the Div III and Div II games. We play the home team, OMBAC, for whom Chris Wyles of Saracens used to play, and they are at home.

My options were either drive or go on the team bus, which leaves at 9.30 and returns at 11.30pm. Taking the bus means I would miss the Scarlets and Ospreys. There's free beer at the ground too, so I must be getting old. :D

Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 pm
World XV Player

wasp wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:
I did have a regional side, it was called the Celtic Warriors. Thats was dismantled so the other pretend regions could survive. Looking at the the Dragons I cannot help but think that mad people run welsh rugby.

After the demise of the Warriors I tried the Blues but couldnt do it and have aligned myself with the Ospreys as they embraced regionalism and went out of their way to market themselves as a region. What epitomised it for me was when they went around spraying the Ospreys logo throughout the region. That was a stroke of genius as the other did sweet fa as they didnt have to change anything as they were still clubs.

As long as they continue to do the same thing they will get the same crappy results. The Ospreys have led the way with the Scarlets following, but still a club, the other two are frankly the biggest disappointments in welsh rugby.

To be brutally honest, I am sure there are people in welsh rugby that laugh at the Dragons and Blues efforts at being regions. I think, if you took a premiership select team made of Aberavon, Bedwas, Merthyr, RGC and Ponty players they would beat the Dragons.

Thats a good idea, Prem select v the Regions in the summer season.
That i so deluded, reductive and revisionist I don't know where to begin

Can you be specific?
What have the Scarlets won as a region?

Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 pm
World XV Player

wasp wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Thats why each of the remaining 4 paid £250k each to kill the Warriors off so thy could hoover up the players.

Killed off to save the runts of the litter

Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm
World XV Player

Yesterday decided it for me. Well done.

Sun May 28, 2017 1:42 pm
Profile E-mail