It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Perhaps I have found my team. 
World XV Player

Post Perhaps I have found my team.
For a long time, I have been neutral regarding the Regions. Maybe, just maybe I have found myself supporting the Scarlets...

The recent efforts by them and tonight's performance, against I accept a weak team, demonstrate what they have been doing. Fun, rugby that is improving.

For a while, perhaps 2008-2011, I thought about supporting the Ospreys (see the other thread about their poor performance at this time) they basically never played that well. Then I thought about the Dragons, mainly for the underdog factor. More recently, I hoped the Blues could do it, the Capitol team.

I can't say the Scarlets are my team at the moment but having visited all of the grounds for games, they have the best atmosphere and are playing the most fun rugby.

Yes, I am a glory supporter, but why else would I want to follow a team I have no attachment to?

As a south Walian, I would possibly follow a North Wales team, and although I haven't seen them play live, I think Spin and other has managed through sheer propaganda, kept that thread going that has made me feel part of something.

Convince me why I should support your team. If I can be so bold, here are the rules on this thread:

No negativity - no 'why bother suporting a Welsh Region, they are all *fupped*' etc.

No going into the history of the teams, beyond the recent. I'm not interested in the politics.

No politics.

Also, I don't want to hear politics.

Please bo politics.

I want genuine, positive reasons why I should follow your region or club. Or at least, I want to hear why you love your team. Good anecdotes, I want to hear your best reasons for why your team means so much to you, the more recent the better.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Post Re: Perhaps I have found my team.
For me, you should support the team that correlates with where you were born/ lived most of you life.

I guess supporting a team is that much more involving if there is some kind of emotional attachment.

Obviously, this is merely from my perspective and the honest answer is just go with what feels right for you.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

majorblue wrote:
For me, you should support the team that correlates with where you were born/ lived most of you life.

I guess supporting a team is that much more involving if there is some kind of emotional attachment.

Obviously, this is merely from my perspective and the honest answer is just go with what feels right for you.

This would be the case if they were all local players, but they are not. Why just on a name?
What about the poor buggers who live where there is no local team, or even Newport

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I was a O's supporter at the start and proably through until around 2012 when I started to feel disillusioned with Welsh rugby. The reason I started following the O's (considering I'm from Caerphilly) is because before that I followed Swansea because as a kid players like Gibbs, Charvis, Taylor etc were my heroes. So naturally I followed them over to the O's

I'd say as long as you enjoy what you're watching and don't mind spending the money to go and watch, then follow who ever you want.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

I like both the Ospreys and the Scarlets. I am proud of the fact that they are the only Welsh regions so far to have won the League. I am proud of the fact that they supply the bulk of the Wales team between them. Also, I don't like it how Cardiff dominates most other aspects of life in Wales so much, so here's one thing they don't have the monopoly over.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
For a long time, I have been neutral regarding the Regions. Maybe, just maybe I have found myself supporting the Scarlets...

The recent efforts by them and tonight's performance, against I accept a weak team, demonstrate what they have been doing. Fun, rugby that is improving.

For a while, perhaps 2008-2011, I thought about supporting the Ospreys (see the other thread about their poor performance at this time) they basically never played that well. Then I thought about the Dragons, mainly for the underdog factor. More recently, I hoped the Blues could do it, the Capitol team.

I can't say the Scarlets are my team at the moment but having visited all of the grounds for games, they have the best atmosphere and are playing the most fun rugby.

Yes, I am a glory supporter, but why else would I want to follow a team I have no attachment to?

As a south Walian, I would possibly follow a North Wales team, and although I haven't seen them play live, I think Spin and other has managed through sheer propaganda, kept that thread going that has made me feel part of something.

Convince me why I should support your team. If I can be so bold, here are the rules on this thread:

No negativity - no 'why bother suporting a Welsh Region, they are all *fupped*' etc.

No going into the history of the teams, beyond the recent. I'm not interested in the politics.

No politics.

Please bo politics.

I want genuine, positive reasons why I should follow your region or club. Or at least, I want to hear why you love your team. Good anecdotes, I want to hear your best reasons for why your team means so much to you, the more recent the better.

this post doesn't surprise me as i always thought you had a hard on for the scarlets in your posts so i think you just need to be honest with yourself and don't fight it anymore :D

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
Primary Schools Player

Forget the :0's: the Blues and the rest. I support my village team. I get more enjoyment, even though we are not doing so well at the moment, watching them because I can relate to the players. Been supporting them a long time.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I did have a regional side, it was called the Celtic Warriors. Thats was dismantled so the other pretend regions could survive. Looking at the the Dragons I cannot help but think that mad people run welsh rugby.

After the demise of the Warriors I tried the Blues but couldnt do it and have aligned myself with the Ospreys as they embraced regionalism and went out of their way to market themselves as a region. What epitomised it for me was when they went around spraying the Ospreys logo throughout the region. That was a stroke of genius as the other did sweet fa as they didnt have to change anything as they were still clubs.

As long as they continue to do the same thing they will get the same crappy results. The Ospreys have led the way with the Scarlets following, but still a club, the other two are frankly the biggest disappointments in welsh rugby.

To be brutally honest, I am sure there are people in welsh rugby that laugh at the Dragons and Blues efforts at being regions. I think, if you took a premiership select team made of Aberavon, Bedwas, Merthyr, RGC and Ponty players they would beat the Dragons.

Thats a good idea, Prem select v the Regions in the summer season.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:29 pm
Schools District Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
I did have a regional side, it was called the Celtic Warriors. Thats was dismantled so the other pretend regions could survive. Looking at the the Dragons I cannot help but think that mad people run welsh rugby.

After the demise of the Warriors I tried the Blues but couldnt do it and have aligned myself with the Ospreys as they embraced regionalism and went out of their way to market themselves as a region. What epitomised it for me was when they went around spraying the Ospreys logo throughout the region. That was a stroke of genius as the other did sweet fa as they didnt have to change anything as they were still clubs.

As long as they continue to do the same thing they will get the same crappy results. The Ospreys have led the way with the Scarlets following, but still a club, the other two are frankly the biggest disappointments in welsh rugby.

To be brutally honest, I am sure there are people in welsh rugby that laugh at the Dragons and Blues efforts at being regions. I think, if you took a premiership select team made of Aberavon, Bedwas, Merthyr, RGC and Ponty players they would beat the Dragons.

"Pretend regions" - you wouldn't happen to be Owenins?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TurkishDelight wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

Nope, the Scarlets I suppose are between being a club and region, but the Dragons and Blues are not regions, they are clubs and got away with being pretend regions. Perhaps one of the reasons why they have failed is because no-one takes them seriously as regions because they are just that in name.

Are the Scarlets a region? Depends really, they have rebranded as the scarlets and not Llanelli, changed grounds so fairplay for effort but they didnt actually combine with another side and like the other two are really stand alone clubs who have managed to hoodwink welsh rugby.

I say all of this with no intention of trolling, just my opinion and based on a reflection of the shite we have propping up the bottom of welsh pro rugby that has for some time been allowed to exist with no scrutiny and has achieved sweet fa. The irony is that if a combined prem select was put together I think they would beat the Dragons. I also think its a travesty that there are lots of talented players in the prem that could be playing instead of the shite we have in some of the regional sides.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Treforest Gump wrote:

Such matches have already taken place from time to time. According to their respective websites, the Ospreys have beaten an Ospreys Prem Select twice (PF 124, PA 22), but the Dragons have only won two out of four matches against a Dragons Prem Select (PF 144, PA 45).

Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 am
Profile E-mail

Treforest Gump wrote:

That i so deluded, reductive and revisionist I don't know where to begin

Mon May 01, 2017 12:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
TurkishDelight wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

Nope, the Scarlets I suppose are between being a club and region, but the Dragons and Blues are not regions, they are clubs and got away with being pretend regions. Perhaps one of the reasons why they have failed is because no-one takes them seriously as regions because they are just that in name.

Are the Scarlets a region? Depends really, they have rebranded as the scarlets and not Llanelli, changed grounds so fairplay for effort but they didnt actually combine with another side and like the other two are really stand alone clubs who have managed to hoodwink welsh rugby.

I say all of this with no intention of trolling, just my opinion and based on a reflection of the shite we have propping up the bottom of welsh pro rugby that has for some time been allowed to exist with no scrutiny and has achieved sweet fa. The irony is that if a combined prem select was put together I think they would beat the Dragons. I also think its a travesty that there are lots of talented players in the prem that could be playing instead of the shite we have in some of the regional sides.

I am optimistic that the wru take over of dragons will see gwent properly represented. Unless friends of Newport pull the plug on it. If it goes through I would like to see dragons take a few games on tour

Anyway back to the original poster... you could support your home region or a local premiership club.

Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

No politics.

Please bo politics.

Trying to narrow it down a bit, you aren't constrained by arbitrary lines on a map who you support, you're bit of a glory Hunter, want to see good rugby, which I assume means star quality players, and ultimately Wales to do well.

Have you thought about supporting Bath? They had charter is, priestland and aled brew start for them on the weekend, and even had the man of the match and Wales's most consistent performer and 2 time lion in faletau play for them. That's more Welsh players and a more successful team than the dragons can ever hope to be and you supported them. Or glouscester who had Hibbard, hook and current lions and Welsh back row in moriarty and playing in a European final?

Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Cymru am byth wrote:

No politics.

Please bo politics.

As long as I've followed the Scarlets closely (2006) they've played mostly expansive and entertaining rugby. They have developed a ton of local talent (probably driven by ££) since then, included many many players who they couldn't keep for various reasons. The 1st team still has a lot of local boys. Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson, Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Emyr, Cubby, Boyde, Shingler, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Dan Jones, Scott Williams, Foxy, Stef Evans, Aled Thomas, are all from the region.

They have the best coaching setup of the 4 pro teams right now and that shows in the performances. They have the best stadium and they do all this in one of the poorest parts of Europe.

What's not to like :dontknow:

So get yourself a season ticket from £75 or £130 for 1 adult/ and 1 child. God knows we need the money!

Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm
Profile E-mail