It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:31 am

Pro team A games 
Mini Player

Post Pro team A games
Does anyone know, do the Welsh Pro clubs still play A games against each other? I seem to remember that Dragons, Blues, Ospreys and Scarlets played home and away A games against each other at one stage, in the same way that the Irish Pro teams do.

I know about the 'Premier Select' teams in the B&I, which look rather like everyone else's Pro A teams!

From a Scottish perspective, with two Pro teams, we are a bit stumped for cross-border Pro A games but there is no obvious solution on the horizon.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Pro team A games
Don't go there , there is very little interest from the union or the favoured 4 ,for anything below the pro 12 .

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Thanks, but I am no wiser! Questions are:

Do the Pro teams have a domestic A competition? Yes/No

If not, when did it stop? 201?

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

1. Do the Pro teams have a domestic A competition? Yes/No

No

2. If not, when did it stop? 201?

They never have, as far as I know. In theory this function was always supposed to be fulfilled by the Welsh Premiership, although the extent to which this has worked is very debateable.

Fringe players will often play for a Premiership club and the regional side at various points over the season. In the B&I cup, the "Premiership Select" sides are really regional A sides in all but name, but I suppose this is not what you mean as it's not a domestic competition.

The sides the Welsh regions put out in the Anglo-Welsh cup, although nominally senior sides, are usually A sides in practice, though they are not obliged to put out such players and there's nothing stopping them playing a full first XV.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Many thanks for the info Figaro.

So the English and French both have formal Pro A leagues, and the Irish play a Pro A competition, the 4 Irish clubs playing each other home and away. The Welsh and Scots don't have any Pro A competition.

This looks like something the Pro 12 could usefully follow, it gives academy players a higher standard of competition than they will get in the domestic leagues and is a better level for returning and fringe Pro players, also a good opportunity for leading club players to step up and show what they can do.

Your Welsh arrangement looks like the Scots one, basically the Premier clubs want to fulfill the role. The downsides are (a) they are not that competitive and (b) making them 'semi-Pro' as they desire costs the Union and the game a good wedge of money, for no great return. The Scots are supposed to be following the Welsh model, with some Premier clubs getting SRU funding to supposedly bridge the gap between amateur rugby and the Pro teams, but it hasn't happened yet, as the clubs are arguing about how many/few of them get this status, could be 8, could be 6, could be just 4.

I personally think it's a bit of a waste of money and a Pro 12 A league would do what's required, at a higher standard and far more economically than semi-Pro club sides. But the domestic clubs in Wales and Scotland seem to have got their Unions boxed in on this.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

How about getting Premiership Select sides (or even actual Premiership clubs) to play against second and third tier European teams on a regular basis? It could be mutually beneficial and enhance development on both sides. Why not have Pontypridd vs Spain or Neath vs Belgium? (A third-string Ospreys team played against the latter and smashed them 71-0, so a match vs a WP side would be decidedly less one-sided).

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The B&I cup was a step in that direction , but the favoured 4 wanted it and then showed they didn't want it , what they did want was the clubs not to have anything .

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
How about getting Premiership Select sides (or even actual Premiership clubs) to play against second and third tier European teams on a regular basis? It could be mutually beneficial and enhance development on both sides. Why not have Pontypridd vs Spain or Neath vs Belgium? (A third-string Ospreys team played against the latter and smashed them 71-0, so a match vs a WP side would be decidedly less one-sided).

I was about to say you couldn't make this shit up...but you obviously do.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:39 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

[q]How about getting Premiership Select sides (or even actual Premiership clubs) to play against second and third tier European teams on a regular basis? It could be mutually beneficial and enhance development on both sides. Why not have Pontypridd vs Spain or Neath vs Belgium? (A third-string Ospreys team played against the latter and smashed them 71-0, so a match vs a WP side would be decidedly less one-sided).[/q]

That wasn't the full Belgian first choice XV but rather a domestic selection and youth players and whatnot (they have a few players playing in the French system) - the full national side would have done a little better (still nowhere near Ospreys level though). But this is still a non-starter. The clubs can't afford to fly out to Spain; why would Spain want to waste their time hosting a side from a rainy town their fans have never heard of. And Spain wouldn't want to waste their cash on flying over to play Neath when they could be playing other T2 national sides (like they should be). The Tier 2/3 nations aren't short of competition at their own level; it's games against bigger national sides that they crave.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 am
Profile E-mail