It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 am

Scrum V 
World XV Player

Post Re: Scrum V
String wrote:
He's the only one that doesn't appear far too close to the current setup to be impartial.

:scratch: Jackson was pretty much the current setup's mouthpiece when it came to their ousting of Roger The Great, he's The Stooge's pet journo tbh...

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Blindside wrote:
I agree with much of that..... I don't think individual players should be particularly the target of prolonged persecution.

It just appears to me that the one thing everyone was encouraged to agree upon, was that the performances of the team was "unacceptable !". Well I would certainly agree the results were disappointing, I would think we need to decide what is so great about Welsh rugby that we have the audacity to make the claim, what underpins that belief.

We could possibly should have beaten England and France, we could easily also have lost to Ireland, but we won and we should probably beat Scotland if we look at the performances in the competition as a whole. Pretty much the hero or zero is based on a try 20 minutes into extra time. We were extremely competitive in all matches.

What is so right about Welsh rugby that we have the expectation of anything more ????

We say the players haven't got the skills, we can't even point to players that have the skills really. We haven't got the quality of professional teams to challenge in Europe, our semi pro level is worthy of a giggle and our under 20s on average finish third in the 6 nations since it began and between 5th and 6th in the World Cup but have had a few 7th places.

Taking the facts into account, what is "unacceptable" about what the coaching team achieved with the group of players at their disposal ??? That in my opinion is where the debate should focus, however it's focuses on the coaches and selection, which is an extremely narrow base for the debate.

We were good in the 1970's, not dominant, and this has been spun via folklore into some kind of rite of passage. We were pretty poor until the rugby league exit stopped, and finally beat a SH team under Henry.

What Gatland did is introduce some professionalism and edge to he national set up which resulted in our punching above our weight in the 2008-13 period.

Other than that, we have been mid table in the 6N as a nation, have virtually no regional success. Fifth this year is just about right.

Yet look at the threads and level of debate on the forum, there is a virtual total refusal to contemplate that. :)

The quality of what we could achieve could be improved though. Just because we finish where we deserve, says a lot about our ambition.

Much of the work done in Welsh rugby is about massaging egos and tradition.

There isn't a can do attitude off the pitch. We look backwards.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

Yet look at the threads and level of debate on the forum, there is a virtual total refusal to contemplate that. :)

The quality of what we could achieve could be improved though. Just because we finish where we deserve, says a lot about our ambition.

There isn't a can do attitude off the pitch. We look backwards.[/quote]

How's the soccer going? You sound a bit down ....

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

There isn't a can do attitude off the pitch. We look backwards.

How's the soccer going? You sound a bit down ....[/quote]

Ha, I just feel we have an attitude that everything is a problem that can't be overcome.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

String wrote:
It didnt seem that bad. Jackson is blunt but had some key points. He's the only one that doesn't appear far too close to the current setup to be impartial.

Ultimately the ScrumV structure of getting high profile people on who know, may have worked with, may still work with and are best mates with the side they're discussing is never going to produce honest, direct results or criticism.

I agree with that. Gwyn Jones seems the best and Peter Jackson is good and honest.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Blindside wrote:
I agree with much of that..... I don't think individual players should be particularly the target of prolonged persecution.

It just appears to me that the one thing everyone was encouraged to agree upon, was that the performances of the team was "unacceptable !". Well I would certainly agree the results were disappointing, I would think we need to decide what is so great about Welsh rugby that we have the audacity to make the claim, what underpins that belief.

We could possibly should have beaten England and France, we could easily also have lost to Ireland, but we won and we should probably beat Scotland if we look at the performances in the competition as a whole. Pretty much the hero or zero is based on a try 20 minutes into extra time. We were extremely competitive in all matches.

What is so right about Welsh rugby that we have the expectation of anything more ????

We say the players haven't got the skills, we can't even point to players that have the skills really. We haven't got the quality of professional teams to challenge in Europe, our semi pro level is worthy of a giggle and our under 20s on average finish third in the 6 nations since it began and between 5th and 6th in the World Cup but have had a few 7th places.

Taking the facts into account, what is "unacceptable" about what the coaching team achieved with the group of players at their disposal ??? That in my opinion is where the debate should focus, however it's focuses on the coaches and selection, which is an extremely narrow base for the debate.

We were good in the 1970's, not dominant, and this has been spun via folklore into some kind of rite of passage. We were pretty poor until the rugby league exit stopped, and finally beat a SH team under Henry.

What Gatland did is introduce some professionalism and edge to he national set up which resulted in our punching above our weight in the 2008-13 period.

Other than that, we have been mid table in the 6N as a nation, have virtually no regional success. Fifth this year is just about right.

I think all these years of watching Wales just makes me sad and grumpy and actually for me, unpleasant. ive got to stop supporting Wales....:)

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Lots of Scarlets supporters boycotted the Cardiff Stadium, did you?

:twisted:

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

what you on about? do you get up every morning feeling bitter and twisted?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:

what you on about? do you get up every morning feeling bitter and twisted?

That's your answer? Fair enough.

The constant lament from Scarlets fans gets a bit tedious but my sunny disposition doesn't flag ...

:D

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:27 am