It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 am

Warburton Steps down 
World XV Player

Post Re: Warburton Steps down
Sam and indeed AWJ are not the players they were at the last RWC, both below par at international level IMO.

I'd give the captaincy to Scott Williams.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:12 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Sam and indeed AWJ are not the players they were at the last RWC, both below par at international level IMO.

The scary thing is the gap between AWJ and other Welsh locks.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:24 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:

The scary thing is the gap between AWJ and other Welsh locks.

Indeed.
And whilst I agree he may have lost some gas compared to a few years ago, his attitude, commitment and understanding of the game make him a talisman for both Wales and the Ospreys, and so for me the natural choice to take over as Welsh captain.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:50 pm
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
AWJ for me

However I do wonder whether in a professional environment where players are much more competent than the general public, that a vocal and hands on captain is tantamount to the micro manager, or the bloke who emails everyone telling them what a great job their doing, in other walks of life

Most people work in a professional environment, i dont know why anyone would think that people who play for Wales would not need to be managed while on the field. Doctors are managed by consultants. Trained professional killers are managed in the army by their superiors. Everyone looks to someone to make decisions when the chips are down. It is the way of things, rugby players are just as full crap as everyone else, i cant see what you base it on. I dont think its any more or less important to the team than the captain in Division 3 West. Egos need to be kept in check and people need guidance.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Personally it underlines the fact that he should never have captained the Lions and has never been a natural captain. AWJ has been the unofficial captain and the heart beat of the team.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AWJ for me

However I do wonder whether in a professional environment where players are much more competent than the general public,??? that a vocal and hands on captain is tantamount to the micro manager, or the bloke who emails everyone telling them what a great job their doing, in other walks of life

????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway
McBryde was 'special' led from the front and the dressing room ;)

Dawes the quiet 'Coaches voice on the field'? ;)

Johnson 'they shall not pass' ... ;)

Most successful teams bring something special in their Capt?

On McBryde I will never forget the conversatween Ray Gravell and Tony O'Reillly that nearly took Grandstand off the air ...The usual repartee ... and O'Reilly was reminiscing on a match Wales Ireland in Cardiff ... they were getting well beaten but came back and it was a frantic finish as O'Reilly said ....McBryde in the van as they made attempts to win "cmon lads kick ahead any *fupping* head!!" ...Ahem :D

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:24 pm
World XV Player

was it his decision to make?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Fair play, did good service to Wales from young age, but think AWJ is good choice. Looking forward to 6 Nations now, especially with number of injuries England are racking up! :occasion5:

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
AWJ for me

However I do wonder whether in a professional environment where players are much more competent than the general public, that a vocal and hands on captain is tantamount to the micro manager, or the bloke who emails everyone telling them what a great job their doing, in other walks of life

Most people work in a professional environment, i dont know why anyone would think that people who play for Wales would not need to be managed while on the field. Doctors are managed by consultants. Trained professional killers are managed in the army by their superiors. Everyone looks to someone to make decisions when the chips are down. It is the way of things, rugby players are just as full crap as everyone else, i cant see what you base it on. I dont think its any more or less important to the team than the captain in Division 3 West. Egos need to be kept in check and people need guidance.

I'm not sure I agree with this... these guys are supposed to be elite level players. Why should they need guidance. Yes a captain is important but in my opinion we should promote leadership across the board

Obsession with captaincy is very much a British construct and relic of the officer class. Your example even used the military. As an example in other sports I.e. Italian football they just simply add up the caps and give the captaincy to generally who has the most. 4 world cups ain't bad

Anyway I may alone in this view but don't follow the cult of the individual

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
AWJ for me

However I do wonder whether in a professional environment where players are much more competent than the general public,??? that a vocal and hands on captain is tantamount to the micro manager, or the bloke who emails everyone telling them what a great job their doing, in other walks of life

????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway

On McBryde I will never forget the conversatween Ray Gravell and Tony O'Reillly that nearly took Grandstand off the air ...The usual repartee ... and O'Reilly was reminiscing on a match Wales Ireland in Cardiff ... they were getting well beaten but came back and it was a frantic finish as O'Reilly said ....McBryde in the van as they made attempts to win "cmon lads kick ahead any *fupping* head!!" ...Ahem :D

To clarify the bit you highlighted in red and left a question mark...

I was querying whether the general publics view of who should be the captain would be compatible with a pro (elite?) rugby player.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
AWJ for me

????

Anyway

Modern day players at this level are a breed apart from the general public, Terry, they have reached the pinnacle of their profession, it's not a game any longer?

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 am
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
AWJ for me

I'm not sure I agree with this... these guys are supposed to be elite level players. Why should they need guidance. Yes a captain is important but in my opinion we should promote leadership across the board

Obsession with captaincy is very much a British construct and relic of the officer class. Your example even used the military. As an example in other sports I.e. Italian football they just simply add up the caps and give the captaincy to generally who has the most. 4 world cups ain't bad

With due respect, I think it's more of a leadership issue than a rank or status issue. I am working at an age I didn't think I would need to, but a top class CEO with great motivational skills can even get me enthusiastic.

They are few and far between, that's the issue.. ;)

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:40 am
thread ruining clique

I would hazard a guess that being captain means you are contractually obliged to deal with the media. In this day and age that probably has quite a bearing on the choice.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:13 am
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
AWJ for me

The captains role has a number of considerations.

Firstly there has to be a player who.makes the decisions. Whether to kick or not for goal for example.

There are also a number of ways of dealing with a situation, that isn't to say any single approach is right. But only one approach can be chosen and every player needs to work in the same direction.

Even amongst elite players not all of them are natural leaders or don't necessarily have the maturity within the game to know how to respond or force a particular scenario.

Also, only one player is allowed to talk to the ref. Having a player who is good at this helps.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
AWJ for me

The captains role has a number of considerations.

Firstly there has to be a player who.makes the decisions. Whether to kick or not for goal for example.

There are also a number of ways of dealing with a situation, that isn't to say any single approach is right. But only one approach can be chosen and every player needs to work in the same direction.

Even amongst elite players not all of them are natural leaders or don't necessarily have the maturity within the game to know how to respond or force a particular scenario.

Also, only one player is allowed to talk to the ref. Having a player who is good at this helps.

Point taken... but in recent years the Wales pack has been able to pick 2 lions captains, 3 if you count lydiate, and a bloke in Jenkins who has captained the side ahead of those just mentioned. So plenty of captains and we still can't beat the Southern Hemisphere

Switching to a different captain will have limited impact on the result if players from 1-15 do not pull their finger out

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:01 am
Profile E-mail