It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:44 am

Premiership split 
International Player

Post Premiership split
Western Mail have chosen to refer to the split as the prem being "ripped" in two" obviously because Cardiff Newport Swansea and Llanelli are in the bottom half.
The few comments made are by people who are all squealing about the situation what's the betting that they are all supporters of erm ...

Not sure myself if it will be a success but it should focus minds at those four clubs as there is now no question that their semi pro teams are not playing at the highest level available to them. If the WRU repeat the format next season we should see a more competitive contribution from them.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Post Re: Premiership split
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... d-12427370

Yup, another quality piece of journalism, talking at great length about the marvelous histories of the 'big' clubs and how many players they supplied to the Lions, back in the good old days. Biggest surprise is they managed to spare a paragraph at the end of the piece to mention the teams who have actually played well in this, the current year.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 am
World XV Player

this is the most info I have been able to find on life after the split, taken from the Ebbw Vale website

Posted on January 9, 2017 by Robert Smith

If you’re wondering exactly what happens next, our club secretary Ian James has put together this message, which tells you as much as we know.

“The WRU’s Premiership team starts working on fixtures today, January 9th. The WRU and Premiership clubs will then meet on Monday 16th January when we’d hope to agree the format and publish the fixtures soon afterwards.
The prime criterion is to try and ensure that all clubs get the same home/away balance over the whole season i.e. 11 home, 11 away. This will mean that teams who have had 7 home and 8 away fixtures in the first section of the season (as we have) will have 4 home and 3 away fixtures in the second section.
Of the 7 other teams in the Top 8 Ebbw have played 5 away, but will only have 4 home games to “get the balance right”. This means a second away trip to one team we’ve already visited. RGC again, anyone?
Over the longer term the ‘home or away’ basis of the first section (rounds that finished yesterday) will be reversed on a two year cycle, so all the teams we played at home in the first half this year, we’ll play away next year.
Please note, this is all subject to change or to my misinterpretation!
I’d be grateful for any constructive thoughts or comments, so please contact me if you have any: clubsecretary@evrfc.co.uk
perhaps they should stay split.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Western Mail have chosen to refer to the split as the prem being "ripped" in two" obviously because Cardiff Newport Swansea and Llanelli are in the bottom half.
The few comments made are by people who are all squealing about the situation what's the betting that they are all supporters of erm ...

Not sure myself if it will be a success but it should focus minds at those four clubs as there is now no question that their semi pro teams are not playing at the highest level available to them. If the WRU repeat the format next season we should see a more competitive contribution from them.

Begs the question why are those 4 clubs even in the Welsh Prem doesn't it?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
eog wrote:

Begs the question why are those 4 clubs even in the Welsh Prem doesn't it?

Automatic entitlement of course. Same as having a region

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

fixture list to be announced tomorrow morning for the premiership

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

jimcardiff wrote:
this is the most info I have been able to find on life after the split, taken from the Ebbw Vale website

If you’re wondering exactly what happens next, our club secretary Ian James has put together this message, which tells you as much as we know.

“The WRU’s Premiership team starts working on fixtures today, January 9th. The WRU and Premiership clubs will then meet on Monday 16th January when we’d hope to agree the format and publish the fixtures soon afterwards.
The prime criterion is to try and ensure that all clubs get the same home/away balance over the whole season i.e. 11 home, 11 away. This will mean that teams who have had 7 home and 8 away fixtures in the first section of the season (as we have) will have 4 home and 3 away fixtures in the second section.
Of the 7 other teams in the Top 8 Ebbw have played 5 away, but will only have 4 home games to “get the balance right”. This means a second away trip to one team we’ve already visited. RGC again, anyone?
Over the longer term the ‘home or away’ basis of the first section (rounds that finished yesterday) will be reversed on a two year cycle, so all the teams we played at home in the first half this year, we’ll play away next year.
I’d be grateful for any constructive thoughts or comments, so please contact me if you have any: clubsecretary@evrfc.co.uk

Looks like Ebbw jinxed themselves; back at Eirias April 8th.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ponty away to the top 3 at the time of the split , 3 home games 4 away, if it is the same plan for next season they should do away with the fosters challenge cup and have home and away after the split.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

GarethW wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

Looks like Ebbw jinxed themselves; back at Eirias April 8th.

I'll bet String is having a coronary!

“They keep saying that sea levels are rising an' all this. It's nowt to do with the icebergs melting, it's because there's too many fish in it. Get rid of some of the fish and the water will drop. Simple. Basic science.” Karl Pilkington.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

RGC to Ponty when 6th May , for fupps sake that's nearly next season , cant count the number of weekends that there has been no rugby , a complete cockup as per the usual wruin.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I am going to go against the flow. I think it is a GREAT idea, as it means in the second half of the season, teams are playing more competitive fixtures.

The reason it is ring fenced is to give the regions and prem clubs time to prove they WILL abide by their respective agreements and work together to give development players game time.

IF they all buy in then this could be a massive step forward for the game in Wales.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
I am going to go against the flow. I think it is a GREAT idea, as it means in the second half of the season, teams are playing more competitive fixtures.

The reason it is ring fenced is to give the regions and prem clubs time to prove they WILL abide by their respective agreements and work together to give development players game time.

IF they all buy in then this could be a massive step forward for the game in Wales.

Great idea compared to what though.... for the first half of the season they were as often as not, not, playing competitive fixtures. Further the dilution of the players over 16 clubs means that even then it is not as competitive as it should be. Compared to a totally pointless, its not good compared to what should be in place, its fiddling while Rome burns. Do better players in the lower half now sign for top half sides, which makes the first half of the season even more farcical.

If the development players are not good enough to be used at this level, without forcing to premiership sides to give them time, then i would be questioning the level of the developing player as the level is not good.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Chris ScumV wrote:

If that's the case why not just make it an 8- or 10- team league, and have it more competitive right from the start? That seems about right to me.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There is always that, i can think of 4 sides who have no business in the prem as they are part of pro teams. Nice little bits of paper will say legally not but who are they tying to kid?

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 pm
International Player

Figaro wrote:
Chris ScumV wrote:

If that's the case why not just make it an 8- or 10- team league, and have it more competitive right from the start? That seems about right to me.

Because Cardiff, Newport, Llanelli, Swansea, Neath.......well, they may not be in a WP with just 8-10 teams. Can't have that can we?

To be honest, I would set out criteria for what is expected from a region. Then give the four a straight choice: be a true region and keep your "historic" amateur club going in the WP. Or, just refer to the "region" as what it is - Cardiff RFC fir instance - and lose the semi-pro club altogether.

Be a region, or don't be a region. I really don't care. Just stop trying to be both and then bleat about it. Hell, the Cardiff supporters are able to say that the Blues beat NZ in the 50s whilst also saying that Cardiff RFC beat NZ in the 50s. Both cannot be true.....and the Blues didn't even exist in the 50s! :D

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon, no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, before strutting around as if it won.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail